Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26383833-5016959,00.html

Australia's grand slam tour of Europe reached a shocking new low with an humiliating 9-8 loss to Scotland at Murrayfield on Sunday morning (EDT).

Five-eighth Matt Giteau missed a conversion attempt two minutes into injury time that would have saved Australia's blushes after Ryan Cross had scored the game's only try in the 81st minute.

I love rugby...but the game is f**ked right now, and Australia can't adapt to this aerial ping pong crap!
Admittedly it was a typically shizen UK winter night, but I can't watch Rugby Union anymore. The game needs help fast

Terrible all round.

Giteu - the fact he was the John Eales Medallist and had a terrible year says it all. That shows how bad Australian rugby is going at the moment.

He didn't just blow the last (easy) conversion. He missed similar chances earlier in the game. If he missed from the touchline, fair enough. But the other chances were straight forward. Can't someone else goal kick?

Really, other teams take the drop goal, why not try it? I admire the fact the Wallabies try for the try but last night showed you don't need to score tries to win in World Rugby.

The sad thing is Deans will cop it because of his incompetent players. Too many duds, a few decent players and others who just have no idea.

Gotta wonder if there wasnt something suss going on there.

Scotland havent beaten australia since 1982 going into the game everyone knew it was going to be a low scoring game and goal kicking would decide the winner.

Scotland would of been paying great odds to win
Giteau could of had some bet on side an thats why he missed such easy kicks.

Its more likely though that Aussie rugby is in a pathetic state right now and we arent selecting the right players.

So when I said a year ago that Giteau was a nuffie everyone laughed. Well hate to say it but I am having the last laugh here. And dead set Ryan Cross is as slow as a prop forward! O'Connor comes on for 8 minutes and we looked better than we did with Cross the whole match!

Dissapointing result, Deans has alot of work to do before the world cup.

On the comment above regarding the game "this aerial ping pong crap" - Pretty much spot on, the game has suddenly become the poorer cousin of not only Rugby League but now you can add in Aussie Rules.

You want to watch a decent game of Rugby, chuck on a league game. Want to watch a kick to a contest fest, watch an Aussie Rules game.

Personally, I blame Robbie Deans lol

Dissapointing result, Deans has alot of work to do before the world cup.

On the comment above regarding the game "this aerial ping pong crap" - Pretty much spot on, the game has suddenly become the poorer cousin of not only Rugby League but now you can add in Aussie Rules.

You want to watch a decent game of Rugby, chuck on a league game. Want to watch a kick to a contest fest, watch an Aussie Rules game.

Personally, I blame Robbie Deans lol

Completely disagree. There is more tactics in Union. It does not appeal to all, but it appeals to more that league does! When was the last time league sold out Twickenham? I like both sports so I am not fussed, but expecting 10 tires in Union is unrealistic, they are different games.

Kicking has always been part of union, in fact some of the best Union teams had great kickers- think Mertens, Grant Fox, Joel Stansky, Wilkinson, etc.

Blaming Deans..seriously. He only has so much to work with. Lets be honest here apart from Elsom who in Australia would make a world 15 side? Plus even Elsom is no certainty! Fact is you need the cattle to produce results. We don't have a Carter or a McCaw on our list! Give Deans till the world cup, there has been stead improvement this year despite the results. We beat England, should have beaten Ireland. Not a bad tour taking out the last match. Our side is young, it will be inconsistent!

Completely disagree.

Well you would, but you've long been a git so who cares ;)

There is more tactics in Union.

Absoloute rubbish. No basis in fact whatsoever.

It does not appeal to all, but it appeals to more that league does!

Dependant on where you are.

When was the last time league sold out Twickenham?

Who gives a **** what the Poms do? How do Unions crowds in this country stack up against Rugby League?

but expecting 10 tires in Union is unrealistic, they are different games.

Of course, more likely to see 10 penalty goals ... snore

Kicking has always been part of union, in fact some of the best Union teams had great kickers- think Mertens, Grant Fox, Joel Stansky, Wilkinson, etc.

& yet the greatest Rugby of all that was played was the running rugby the Galloping greens played during the late 70's, 80's

Blaming Deans..seriously. He only has so much to work with. Lets be honest here apart from Elsom who in Australia would make a world 15 side? Plus even Elsom is no certainty! Fact is you need the cattle to produce results. We don't have a Carter or a McCaw on our list! Give Deans till the world cup, there has been stead improvement this year despite the results. We beat England, should have beaten Ireland. Not a bad tour taking out the last match. Our side is young, it will be inconsistent!

:D

I sure do blame Deans for the introduction of Crusader ball, Sth Africa is minorly at fault, but Deans started it.... Now, I know you've always had your issues when it comes to actually reading a post and responding accordingly BUT was it really that hard?! ;)

The only thing you have to plan in league is kicking on the last, that is it. It is harder to score tries in Union. There is more tactics to score tries in Union. Plus there is more componenets to Union- namely the scrum and the lineout. As I said I like both games, I follow Union and league religiously. The Union test matches in Australia have drawn bigger crowds. I mean far out NSW can't even sell out Origins!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also as the game has become more proffessional teams take safety first option which is to keep the ball in your own half an take the penalty kicks.
When a penalty kick is worth more than half of what a try is they will always go safety first an take the kick unless desperate for points.

Another problem is it wouldnt suprise me if we have the worst wingers going around in rugby union out of most the other teams.
They hardly ever get involved in the play and dont score many trys.

I never used to like league an always preferred union but the way union is going im starting to lose interest and finding league more entertaining.

Another problem is it wouldnt suprise me if we have the worst wingers going around in rugby union out of most the other teams.
They hardly ever get involved in the play and dont score many trys.

Ahh, now this has been an issue in Aussie Rugby for YEARS mate. It's not so much that we have s**t wingers, as even when we had quality wings, they still saw too little of the ball.

Australia overuses (and has for 10 years) the inside pass far too much. That's the issue.

Oh I did forget about this one, but better late than never but

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

About bloody time I saw Scotland beat Australia:D:thumbsu:

Now for England.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back