franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
The only reasons he got imo was that he was a celebrity and that racial tensions were running high at the time in LA and there would have been an absolute riot to end all riots if he had of been found guilty.

Isn't he in jail for an unrelated fraud charge?
Armed robbery I think it was, he and a group of people. I'm not sure about racial tensions running higher than usual. I have been over there a lot and was in 1997 and although it wasn't the same time, and the last time was on my way to Phoenix, I don't recall seeing too many racial drama's.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Armed robbery I think it was, he and a group of people. I'm not sure about racial tensions running higher than usual. I have been over there a lot and was in 1997 and although it wasn't the same time, and the last time was on my way to Phoenix, I don't recall seeing too many racial drama's.
Wasnt it around the time of Rodney King though. And the riots. Some have said rightly or wrongly that there would have been complete anarchy if he had been sent to jail.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Wasnt it around the time of Rodney King though. And the riots. Some have said rightly or wrongly that there would have been complete anarchy if he had been sent to jail.
Twas a bit earlier than my visit's. But from footage I've seen, I think it just became a joke. There were a lot of people running around and taking advantage of the situation, attacking police because they could, and laughing while they were doing it. I don't see that as standing for anything other than being a dick.

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Jury was like all black. He wouldve lost regardless. Everyone wouldve lost.

Juries should be a makeup of the location of their jury pool. If LA is 30% black men, 20% black women, 10% white men, 10% white women, 10% Asian women and 20% Asian men, then the jury should of been

4 black men, 2 black women, 2 white men, 1 white woman, 1 Asian woman, and 2 Asian men.
Instead it was somthing like 7 black women, 3 black men, 1 white woman and 1 hispanic (white?) guy

van peebles

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
This is quite interesting but he would have lost the Jury with his final summation. They weren't picked for how bright they were.

Jury was like all black. He wouldve lost regardless. Everyone wouldve lost.

Juries should be a makeup of the location of their jury pool. If LA is 30% black men, 20% black women, 10% white men, 10% white women, 10% Asian women and 20% Asian men, then the jury should of been

4 black men, 2 black women, 2 white men, 1 white woman, 1 Asian woman, and 2 Asian men.
Instead it was somthing like 7 black women, 3 black men, 1 white woman and 1 hispanic (white?) guy
Americans are the dumbest people on the planet,but i digress.
One of the jurors{african/american female}used the beautiful excuse for the lighting "not guilty" decision as "we wuz locked up for 267 days and nights and just wanted to get home"
Now if her son was convicted on such a premise i would imagine she would scream racist jury tampering,but as it wasnt her son and it was a african/american it was OK to make a 3hr decision.
These people{americans}are just stupid and racist twits that deserve the verdict and deserve the mud thats thrown at them.
Just a laugh a minute,and they continue to make "television" about thier own stupidity.
We should enjoy their complete dumbness.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Americans are the dumbest people on the planet,but i digress.
One of the jurors{african/american female}used the beautiful excuse for the lighting "not guilty" decision as "we wuz locked up for 267 days and nights and just wanted to get home"
Now if her son was convicted on such a premise i would imagine she would scream racist jury tampering,but as it wasnt her son and it was a african/american it was OK to make a 3hr decision.
These people{americans}are just stupid and racist twits that deserve the verdict and deserve the mud thats thrown at them.
Just a laugh a minute,and they continue to make "television" about thier own stupidity.
We should enjoy their complete dumbness.
The decision was probably the best thing to happen to America. Once the actions/reputation of the LAPD meant that jurors were willing to knowingly let a double murderer free things had to change.

van peebles

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
The decision was probably the best thing to happen to America. Once the actions/reputation of the LAPD meant that jurors were willing to knowingly let a double murderer free things had to change.
You misunderstand americans.They will never change unfortunately its an ingrained thing that helps them to No1 on the most detested people in the world list.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Do you really think it would be feasible to accommodate that for every criminal trial? Especially a trial like OJ's, where the jury was sequestered for the better part of a year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lakeside Swan

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2015
Getting f'd over big time by the AFL.
AFL Club
Sydney
From memory the OJ trial was a few years after the Rodney King case so racial tensions were still in the forefront of people's minds. The LA riots started the day that the Police were cleared of assaulting him.

There would have complete anarchy had OJ gone to jail. The idiots in society placed him on a pedestal. Large numbers of the black community and the civil liberties fools were praising hm and stating that he was only a suspect because of his skin colour. Many of them along with the Black Panthers were demonstrating for his innocence every day of the trial.

That is of course no reason to find a black person not guilty of a crime. Especially when we all know he did it. The reason he got off was because he had the best defence that money could buy. They selected an all black jury that were obviously biased/racist. They pulled out the racist card against the lead investigators, claiming that OJ was set up and damaging their careers along the way.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Have no problem with the premise of this but 2 people died and no-one ever went to jail for it. Whether the racism was that terrible a guilty verdict ( in my opinion) would still have shone a light on the inherent racism in the LAPD.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Watched all 5 episodes of OJ Made In America. Powerful

My original thoughts at the time were by running away in the Bronco he made as much a confession to me as anything. Watching the above doco and learning of the spousal abuse and the 911 phone calls made sent a chill down my spine. The suicide type letter I did not know of but strengthened my belief OJ did it. The handling of the police case and the prosecution and also Judge Ito sends shivers down my spine about the American Justice system.

As to whether Jason Simpson did it. I don't think so. I would give it 1% of my thought process. GG.exe asks if we as parents would take one for our children. Of course we would. Would I if I was a famous person living a very good life and looking at 50 years in a cell. Maybe not. I would use the same amount of money to get my son into the best possible mental health facility and hide him away and present him to the courts where he would be sentenced to that comfortable mental health facility. ( would I take the shot now at my age for 1 of my kids? Here in Oz yes I would. )

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney
OJ made in America- one of the best docos I have ever seen I don't know where to start: the footage the interviews were top notch and the personalities involved were incredible Furnham (the cop) the jurors the legal team oj's friends the familys and even the transvestite helicopter pilot, just one big can of worms and the 2 victims were forgotten about in the circus.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have no problem with the premise of this but 2 people died and no-one ever went to jail for it. Whether the racism was that terrible a guilty verdict ( in my opinion) would still have shone a light on the inherent racism in the LAPD.
I'm going to say that there is no bigger tribute to 2 people than to have an entire country change direction in regards to its treatment of its people and their human rights

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney
the main things I got out of it was how race was injected into the case, how the blood trail was ignored,oj denied having a pair of shoes that left footprints in blood at scene and video of him wearing a pair were shown, the 'racist' policeman was accused of planting glove but if he had put glove at ojs house night of murder how did he know oj didn't have rock solid alibi,black jurour who said any woman who stayed with a wife basher deserved what she got and she was never going to vote him guilty anyway because of what happened to Rodney king. Two other things that spun me out was when the verdict was announced all the black people in crowd jumped up in excitement and white people slumped in dismay and the other was in the civil case which oj was found guilty when he didn't have his high paid lawyers he was all over the shop and tripped over his lies.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Going back to the idea that OJ was prepared to take a hit for the son. I cant believe it. One thing the OJ Made In America made clear to me was how much of a sociopath/narcissist OJ was . I got the impression people were tools for him to use. To help him , to cover for him , to lie for him. He used his family as cover when he needed it , he then ignored them in favour of the good life. For him to suddenly get a conscience because he thought his son killed Nicole. Nah cant buy it.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
OJ made in America- one of the best docos I have ever seen I don't know where to start: the footage the interviews were top notch and the personalities involved were incredible Furnham (the cop) the jurors the legal team oj's friends the familys and even the transvestite helicopter pilot, just one big can of worms and the 2 victims were forgotten about in the circus.
For those who don't have Foxtel or haven't seen this exceptional documentary , SBS will be showing this from November 21 at 8.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back