OKFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Now the recruiting should be about done and dusted for everyone and the season is around the corner. Be good for everyone to have a crack at the ladder prediction and round 1 results.

My end of season ladder prediction is

Tarrawingee
Glenrowan
King Valley
Milawa
Goorambat
Moyhu
Bonnie Doon
Benalla
Whorouly
North Wang
Greta

Think Tarra has had the best off season and on paper are the best side now. Will depend a lot on who Glenrowan can have on the park come finals. I think if they get everyone up and going they can still beat Tarra for the Flag. If Norman or someone like that goes down late in the year then it will be Tarras. King Valley I think will be a very good team this year. Home games up there to help them also which will see them third. Milawa have picked up some quality players to offset some big losses. Dont think they will fall as far as some predicted. Still think they will finish in top 4 and possibly even beat KV for third.
After that its really close and hard to predict who will go where. Think Doon will fall away a lot from departures but who knows what they add.

Round 1 is a decent one. Might be some one sided results this year but Rnd one is a nice one.

Benalla to beat North Wang. Will be close hopefully with North Wangs new additions.
Glenrowan to easily account for Bonnie Doon. Think Doon will fall off the pace a bit this year
Goorambat to pip Moyhu is another close one. Should be a really good game.
Whorouly to beat Greta in another tight game. Will be interesting to see where each of these two are at.
Milawa will beat Bright comfortably. maybe 30 off points I would think
Tarrawingee to get the job done against King Valley but this will be another very tight game. Could go either way.

My end of season ladder prediction is....

Here's my ladder:

Tarra
Glenrowan
Benalla
Milawa
Goorambat
King Valley

Moyhu
Bonnie Doon
Bright
Greta
Whorouly
North Wang

Top two are a lock. Third place is up for grabs. Obviously going out on a limb with Benalla, but I think they are capable if their recruits are as good as they say. It's guess work, as I've never seen any of their players in action, but I'm keen to see how they go. Doon could surprise if their recruits are any good, but I don't expect them to be among the top four. Teams at the bottom should all be a bit better than they were last year, so shouldn't see as many blow outs, except with Tarra and Glenrowan.

Rd 1 tips

Glenrowan by 60
Milawa by 40
Greta by 20
Benalla by 50
Tarra by 50
Goorambat by 20

Here's my ladder, hard one to predict as 4-10 could be tight and i really have no idea, depends on who shows the early form. I still think the tigers are a big chance to 4-peat but Tarra are going to be the no 1 contender.

Glenrowan
Tarra
Milawa
Goorambat
King Valley
Benalla

Bonnie Doon
Bright
Greta
Moyhu
Whorouly
North Wang

Rd 1 I'm hoping for some closer games than this but my thoughts are:

Glenrowan by 60 over Doon
Milawa by 26 over Bright
Greta by 25 over the lions
Benalla by 60 over the hawks
Tarra by 40 over KV
Goorambat by 45 over Moyhu

Last edited:
Now the recruiting should be about done and dusted for everyone and the season is around the corner. Be good for everyone to have a crack at the ladder prediction and round 1 results.

My end of season ladder prediction is

Tarrawingee
Glenrowan
King Valley
Milawa
Goorambat
Moyhu
Bonnie Doon
Benalla
Whorouly
North Wang
Greta

Think Tarra has had the best off season and on paper are the best side now. Will depend a lot on who Glenrowan can have on the park come finals. I think if they get everyone up and going they can still beat Tarra for the Flag. If Norman or someone like that goes down late in the year then it will be Tarras. King Valley I think will be a very good team this year. Home games up there to help them also which will see them third. Milawa have picked up some quality players to offset some big losses. Dont think they will fall as far as some predicted. Still think they will finish in top 4 and possibly even beat KV for third.
After that its really close and hard to predict who will go where. Think Doon will fall away a lot from departures but who knows what they add.

Round 1 is a decent one. Might be some one sided results this year but Rnd one is a nice one.

Benalla to beat North Wang. Will be close hopefully with North Wangs new additions.
Glenrowan to easily account for Bonnie Doon. Think Doon will fall off the pace a bit this year
Goorambat to pip Moyhu is another close one. Should be a really good game.
Whorouly to beat Greta in another tight game. Will be interesting to see where each of these two are at.
Milawa will beat Bright comfortably. maybe 30 off points I would think
Tarrawingee to get the job done against King Valley but this will be another very tight game. Could go either way.

Bright not existent are they on your ladder?

For what it's worth, here's my 2017 ladder prediction.

Tarrawingee
Glenrowan
Milawa
Benalla
Goorambat
King Valley
Greta
Bonnie Doon
Bright
Moyhu
Whorouly
North Wang

Selected with absolutely no confidence at all though!
My belief is that as others have noted, blow-outs will be fewer. Tarra & Glenrowan are a clear lock on 1 & 2 barring injuries. Milawa won't beat either of them but will probably beat most others teams so they'll come third. From there it's a proverbial chook raffle!
I'm happy to put it out there that the Blues will surprise many of you. Match day is a completely different animal I know but I like what I've seen thus far.
There's a good feel around the club right now that we haven't experienced for some time so here's hoping.
Importantly though, let's hope all sides have few injuries with lots of competition across the whole league this season.

Glenrowan and Tarra will be seperated by percentage for top 2 spots . Then about 4 - 5 wins back will be the rest . Tarra will get Glenrowan the first time they play and Glenrowan will return the favour the second game . Tarra will be real good early , Glenrowan's best will come later .
After that Milawa , goorambat , king valley , blacks , Bonnie doion will fight out for the top 6 . Greta and bright to follow . Then moyhu and whorouly and then north Wang

Tarra
Glenrowan
Milawa
Goorambat
King Valley
Bonnie Doon

Benalla
Greta
Bright
Moyhu
Whorouly
North Wang

Position3-8 will be very interesting with a stack of 50/50 games . Every win important and percentage could be a real factor

I'll do my selections next week (and I think I'll go back and have a look at the one we all did a few months ago and see what has changed) - however I'd like to get a better understanding as to why people are putting Milawa in the top 4?

Their fall down the ladder since 2014 has been significant; their talent losses are more significant than their gains; and last year they finished 5th.

In addition - from the clearances they look to have a significant number of players turning over (I am not too sure on the quality - maybe others can enlighten).

In the second 1/2 of last season they had losses to KV, Moyhu and BD and got thumped by Tarra and Glenrowan.

I'm calling it now - they will struggle to get into the top 6.

I'll do my selections next week (and I think I'll go back and have a look at the one we all did a few months ago and see what has changed) - however I'd like to get a better understanding as to why people are putting Milawa in the top 4?

Their fall down the ladder since 2014 has been significant; their talent losses are more significant than their gains; and last year they finished 5th.

In addition - from the clearances they look to have a significant number of players turning over (I am not too sure on the quality - maybe others can enlighten).

In the second 1/2 of last season they had losses to KV, Moyhu and BD and got thumped by Tarra and Glenrowan.

I'm calling it now - they will struggle to get into the top 6.

In the second half of the season when Milawa was struggling it had a lot to do with the injuries of Ben Clarke and Brent Newton. Both of those players are gone, along with Sam Bowers. But the addition of Josh Owen, Glen Wyatt and Aaron Braden, all of whom will be very good O&K players, should mean that Milawa is a lot stronger than it was in the second half of last season. Combine that with the fact teams like Goorambat and King Valley haven't significantly improved their lists, at least from appearances, while Bonnie Doon looks to have gone backwards, and you end up with Milawa as a top four team.

Some key players returning for glenrowan in the clearances in Lachlan Cohen, nick Lawrence and Roy dyson

Lachlan Reynolds also jumping on the flag wagon from kv

Some key players returning for glenrowan in the clearances in Lachlan Cohen, nick Lawrence and Roy dyson

Lachlan Reynolds also jumping on the flag wagon from kv

Expect the tigers to be as strong as last year if not better with a Cohan, Lawrence and Dyson back.
Will Reynolds be in their best 21? He isn't going to push Duffy,M Robinson, Hansted, N Robinson, or Kilner out of they forward line. Where else does he play?

Expect the tigers to be as strong as last year if not better with a Cohan, Lawrence and Dyson back.
Will Reynolds be in their best 21? He isn't going to push Duffy,M Robinson, Hansted, N Robinson, or Kilner out of they forward line. Where else does he play?

He probably wouldn't be in their best 21 but could see him getting a gig here and there with other players unavailable or injured. Just a fringe player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the second half of the season when Milawa was struggling it had a lot to do with the injuries of Ben Clarke and Brent Newton. Both of those players are gone, along with Sam Bowers. But the addition of Josh Owen, Glen Wyatt and Aaron Braden, all of whom will be very good O&K players, should mean that Milawa is a lot stronger than it was in the second half of last season. Combine that with the fact teams like Goorambat and King Valley haven't significantly improved their lists, at least from appearances, while Bonnie Doon looks to have gone backwards, and you end up with Milawa as a top four team.
Perfect explanation

Will Matt Campbell make it ???

Will Matt Campbell make it ???

Apparently Campbell was impressive in the practice match, and from his performances at Wang I'd imagine he would be very much in the senior mix.

I'll have a good story on Glenrowan for Monday's paper - one to look out for!

Surprises me that Reynolds has gone to glenrowan, thought he was settled at valley after commuting for a couple of years seems valley have lost some, picked up some but have lost some big blokes that haven't been replaced , reckon Tarra are going to inflict some pain round one in the seniors and even more in the twos from what I heard valley will be struggling to put a team on the park.

Apparently Campbell was impressive in the practice match, and from his performances at Wang I'd imagine he would be very much in the senior mix.

I'll have a good story on Glenrowan for Monday's paper - one to look out for!

Not a bad read nonch!

Out of pure curiousity do you think had glenrowan lost any 1 of the last 3 grandfinals they have contested do you think the "culture" would still be as it is now?

Good point . Not sure but they have . They have really done a terrific job over the last 4 years particularly if you read the posts back when they got going that we all thought they'd be a flash in the pan . Let's hope Tarra can knock them off this year which I'm not totally convinced they will or else they win 4 in a row and they will be the greatest team ever to play in the Ovens and King . If this happens do we have to openly embrace this and give credit they deserve or do we somehow dis- credit this . My opinion is go Tarra save us all from having to make this decision !!!. Good story though Nonch

Not a bad read nonch!

Out of pure curiousity do you think had glenrowan lost any 1 of the last 3 grandfinals they have contested do you think the "culture" would still be as it is now?

Well it's purely speculation, but I think looking back to 2015 when they were getting pumped early in the GF, had Milawa gone on and had a comfortable win it would have been very easy for the key figures at Glenrowan to move on. But at the same time, having ground out the win and gone back to back you would have understood if they had said 'job done' and left.

Nige, Rory and Matt have been there since the start and created a team that has stuck together for a long time now, and while success has certainly helped bind them I think it must go beyond that.

Good point . Not sure but they have . They have really done a terrific job over the last 4 years particularly if you read the posts back when they got going that we all thought they'd be a flash in the pan . Let's hope Tarra can knock them off this year which I'm not totally convinced they will or else they win 4 in a row and they will be the greatest team ever to play in the Ovens and King . If this happens do we have to openly embrace this and give credit they deserve or do we somehow dis- credit this . My opinion is go Tarra save us all from having to make this decision !!!. Good story though Nonch

Cheers Trooper! I have nothing but respect for what Glenrowan has achieved, and there is no doubt they already deserve to be rated among the greatest teams the league has seen. But a fourth straight flag, particularly given the strength of the side Tarra will be putting on the park, would be something else entirely. Whatever happens throughout the year, the team that wins is going to deserve all the praise it gets.

On 19 December I said - Tarra, Glenrowan, Bonnie Doon, Goorambat, Benalla, Greta, King valley, Moyhu, Milawa, Bright, Whorouly, Nth Wang.

I'll make a few changes - BD are on the stink. Milawa have been OK recruiting as has Greta and Benella. I did make a big call and say last week that Milawa wont make it - I could well be wrong, but if I put my balls on the line now I can say '...I told you so...' in September. I've seen all the arguments, but really you can't replace your best 3 with 3 new players and expect the magic to happen.

Tarra
Glenrowan
Goorambat
Benalla
Greta
King Valley
-------------
Milawa
Bonnie doon
Bright
Moyhu
Whorouly
Nth Wang.

This week all the home sides will win
Benalla over North Wang by 60
Glenrowan over BD by 90
Goorambat over Moyhu by 55
Greta over Whorouly by 40
Milawa over Bright by 22
Tarra over King Valley by 65

Last edited:

I dont mean to be too negative but if you believe that absolute rubbish about Glenrowan not forking out a large player payment bill you are kidding yourself. Your telling me Nige travelled from Melbourne each week for a couple of years for the love of Glenrowan? Or Rory Cunningham who still lives down there travels up each week for love - spare me. You don't have blokes travelling all over the countryside travelling for peanuts. Some of Tarra's recruits I reckon are an exception, as they are all locals and have either played there before or connected otherwise, but even they would be getting dollars. I am sure for example Hoggan if he is living in Melb will be demanding more than someone like Lachie Raven, who has moved up here, even though raven is a far better player.

Nice attempt to spin a story, not your fault Nonch you report what info you have but personally i reckon it is a load of crap.

Lastly the so called 'culture' they have at the club, it may be a winning culture, but if that means more to you than developing young men and giving them structure and setting a good example and not being exposed to what everyone knows goes on there from leaders down, then you can have it.

Personally I hope a team like Goorambat step up, they recruited players over a couple of years and are on the right path - I reckon they will have a good crack this year, although not up to Tarra / Glenrowan standard.

On 19 December I said - Tarra, Glenrowan, Bonnie Doon, Goorambat, Benalla, Greta, King valley, Moyhu, Milawa, Bright, Whorouly, Nth Wang.

I'll make a few changes - BD are on the stink. Milawa have been OK recruiting as has Greta and Benella. I did make a big call and say last week that Milawa wont make it - I could well be wrong, but if I put my balls on the line now I can say '...I told you so...' in September. I've seen all the arguments, but really you can't replace your best 3 with 3 new players and expect the magic to happen.

Tarra
Glenrowan
Goorambat
Benalla
Greta
King Valley
-------------
Milawa
Bonnie doon
Bright
Moyhu
Whorouly
Nth Wang.

This week all the home sides will win
Benalla over North Wang by 60
Glenrowan over BD by 90
Goorambat over Moyhu by 55
Greta over Whorouly by 40
Milawa over Bright by 22
Tarra over King Valley by 65
the hawks will beat boonie doone at the rate of players on the move from the castle way id say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back