On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

Betrayal at House on the Hill. This is a really up and down game - some times we play it and its great fun the haunt works really well and the game flows. Other times the haunt comes out and the game comes to a screeching halt while we try and work out the scenario and by the time it restarts people have lost interest.

This time we had the haunt come out on the 3rd roll. It was the cannibal family. Good fun. Because it was so early the heroes kept exploring the house which was a good strategy; they ended up with enough gear to beat down the traitor and the cannibals (in particular one player had traded for a number of items so they could fight with sanity skill).

The traitor/cannibals did kill all of the victims but didnt get to eat the last one which would have made a win because they were been smashed by the heroes and need a full turn to eat the corpse. Only 1 hero died; with a chainsaw went up against the traitor and squibbed it. Then got eaten the next turn. That mechanic was fun "no leave your character there. He hasnt been eaten yet".

Played Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, For Sale and Fuse with the missus and one of her friends, kept it simple and fun for the newbies to board gaming.

Exploding Kittens (NSFW version)
My first time playing this (any version of it). Good, fun game with numerous "suffer in ya jocks" moments. It appears the NSFW aspect only relates to what's on the cards and not gameplay (which is fine).

Codenames Deep Undercover
Plays exactly like the original, just with more 'adult' terms. Again, a great laugh.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
First time playing this for any of our group of 10. As the owner of the game and the only one who'd read the rules, I took on the Forensic Scientist role. Most of the group didn't take too long to pick it up, although a 2nd run at it would have been good. We did get hampered a little by the rounds 2 & 3 scene cards not really being of much help. I found being the scientist is a bit like being the spy master in Codenames, as you need to be conscious of how your choices on the scene cards might indicate a number of different clue and means cards. In terms of social deduction games, I definitely enjoyed it more than The Resistance. As the Dice Tower guys noted in one of their Top 10 videos, with DMIHK you immediately have something to discuss, as opposed to picking someone randomly and calling them a spy.

On the weekend I played D&D - made it happen! We're playing Mentzer Basic rules. I ran a game with three new players and two people who had played at least one edition in the past. We started with a very short adventure which was not finished by the end of play. The party didn't get as far as I had expected but there were a lot of low hit point rolls so a lot of time was spent organising plans to fight with minimal risk of PC deaths - complicated tactical plans, building traps, etc. Looks like everyone had a great time and it looks like a regular fortnightly session is a goer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another session of D&D (concluding the adventure, 'The Jade Hare'): nearly had a total party kill. The party of 5 was reduced to 2 and the mission wasn't sucecssfully concluded. Back they went to the village without their objective (rescue and return a sacred statue, 'the Jade Hare', for the village). They were given free board for the night for their troubles, but were told they'd better leave town as soon as they could. None of the survivors thought to take any treasure with them, so the only XP's they got were for the 9 goblins they killed. In the next session we begin the classic module, 'The Keep on the Borderlands'.

Another session of D&D (concluding the adventure, 'The Jade Hare'): nearly had a total party kill. The party of 5 was reduced to 2 and the mission wasn't sucecssfully concluded. Back they went to the village without their objective (rescue and return a sacred statue, 'the Jade Hare', for the village). They were given free board for the night for their troubles, but were told they'd better leave town as soon as they could. None of the survivors thought to take any treasure with them, so the only XP's they got were for the 9 goblins they killed. In the next session we begin the classic module, 'The Keep on the Borderlands'.
Keep on the Borderlands was my first D&D experience back in the mid 80s and still my favourite. It blew my mind at the time. That was the good old original Basic D&D.

Ah, the memories!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Keep on the Borderlands was my first D&D experience back in the mid 80s and still my favourite. It blew my mind at the time.

I must say, given the esteemed place this module has in so many players' memory, I'm a little anxious about doing it justice. I hope I can have the players in my own group some great memories for the future.

Played Game of Thrones Risk on Friday night as the Tyrells (second player) in a game of 3. Managed to steal the win before player 3 as he would have won on his next turn.

Not a bad iteration of Risk.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

All ready for another session of 'The African Campaign'. Tonight we'll be using some optional rules that randomise player order in a turn and we'll be trying out some random event chits that affect movement, supply, and combat.

IMG_2153.JPG

It's a little weird playing TAC as it's easier for both players if they sit next to each other rather than across the table.

As you may note, this board is just a little too big for the table.

Well that was a weekend of failing humanity. Wife and I gaming with the usual other 2 women we do and left dead everywhere.

Firstly the first time we’d been able to play Flash Point with more then two people. We managed to have a combination of bad fire rolls incinerating victims and finding the ‘not real victim’ tokens for those reached. 4 victims and game over with 0 rescued. oops!

So then onto Pandemic Legacy Season 2. After knocking off March first time round last time we played we had high hopes. Things were not to be. Our first run of April was a rapid plague fest.

And our first two infested cities

So with two extra rationed events to compensate for our ineptitude first time round we faced April again. This time it wasn’t a quick death. It was more frustrating. We had two optional objectives done and 2 of the 3 mandatory new supply centres objective that goes from month to month. We had the cards to built the third and finish winners, but were on 6 of 8 plague infections. We just needed to survive around to the person who’d build it. We had a few cities with 0 stockpile so it was pick which ones to resupply and hope for the best. Alas luck was against us and the wrong cities appeared. April you were not kind.

We did at least access the lost Haven, so the 15 extra supply cubes will come in Very handy for future months

My only small redemption was winning at Rhino Hero at the end of the evening :D

Weekend was a bit of a bust as far as my regular gaming was concerned. Saturday I thought that I was going to play "Planet Mercenary" but the venue was full of people having a card game tournament. Next I couldn't contact my other role playing group so went home, only to get a phone call that evening asking me why I hadn't come out to play. Went out on sunday for a game of "Rocket Age", where I and another player threw the GM off kilter a bit by NOT getting involved in the fight that seemed about to start but (with a few good rolls ) getting the two sides to NOT fight instead. The Right Honorable Barrington J Murdoch esq (my character) is feeling pleased with himself about now !

We played our regular Pathfinder game. We were up against the ancient blue dragon and our party mage got a great knowledge role to know precisely what it's strengths and weaknesses were.

Armed with that knowledge we buffed ourselves up with appropriate protection, only to discover that the dragon was half blue, half white (as we called it, a Norf dragon) and our protection from electricity spells did jack s**t against its cold attacks.

We killed it eventually but it was a lot more effort than we thought it would be.

Played my first game of D&D, or any non-video game RPG, in years. Our DM was an old hand at it, whereas the rest of us were effectively noobs. We just played the D&D Starter Set. Took some time for everyone to get familiar with the mechanics, but good fun in the end. Will hopefully play a few more sessions to at least finish the adventure.

The DM is relatively new to Melbourne and wants to have a regular group. I may just put my hand up.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rpg_starterset

The people you meet in a village tavern.

bc3521e6d474217aa2b9dfbab9f998c3.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mother’s Day was a good excuse to pick up a new game for our collection. Checking out Gamesworld in Adelaide prior to heading to the Showdown and saw London Dread reduced from $99 to $39. Badged as Victorian Horror themed I knew it would appeal, as we have Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness, enjoying the Lovecraftian themed games.

It’s a game with four stories, with the latter 3 in two chapters. You have a board of 24 locations, which will have face down cards that are either plot points you need to investigate or ‘dread’ to defeat. Undefeated dread or dread from cards you don’t flip over makes it harder later to face the final foe.

Each chapter is in two parts. The first planning, is flip over cards, then plan your actions. You only have 12 actions each, with all the plot cards needing to be investigated in order. So you need to coordinate your actions. Different cards - plot and dread - require different skills to solve. What provides the pressure during planning is this phase is timed, so you’re quickly trying to figure who’ll go for what, making sure plot points are all reached and in order.

Once planning is done you run through your actions. There’s personality cards for your characters (5 good that provide extra skills for a plot investigation), 1 bad that can injure or unhinge your mind. Items and a few other minor things, so it’s variable whether you are going to get everything you planned done.

Once you’ve done the chapter (or chapters for stories 2-4), you face the end game challenges and final foe. The more dread you removed earlier and items gotten the easier the challenges and battle against the final foe will go.

Ran through story 1, firstly untimed planning to get the rules down (but fell just short), then with the timer on and just won. Will do the other stories soon. Enjoyed it, but $39 is a realistic price, given it’s not that replayable, as far as a new experience each time. An expansion is in the works at least.

995D626B-50CA-4786-AE70-CEE5D6043FC2.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back