Online Qualification vs Face to Face?

Remove this Banner Ad

aflcliche

Club Legend
May 26, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
How much difference does it make to employers when looking at a person's qualifications? Does face to face make you more employable?

I'm thinking of doing a cert IV in Training and Assessment. Totally online is much cheaper, but does it have the same merit?

Thanks in advance.

Exactly the same merit, the course structure and the same certificate as you'd get from the campus if you attended; they don't come with anything that states you did a course online V attendance.

I have done my undergrad and 2 post-grad's externally, and a 3rd post-grad through compressed campus study and they are all identical certificates except for the course name.

Thanks, very helpful

It has the same merit, but as an employer I would be concerned about someone undertaking a training and assessment course online as the course itself is quite practical. I would worry that if you can't learn the course in a room full of people, then how can you teach a room full of people.

I am currently completing an online course, and I can see employers would think it lacks merit- it does. Open book exams, multiple exam attempts and my elite hacking skills mean I'm not learning anywhere near as much as I would in a structured classroom environment.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because I'm employed in the area I am studying and I'm sure future employers will be more interested in my work experience than my qualification.

I did my BCom on campus.

Whilst working I also got my Agents Rep Cert in Real Estate after also doing my Cert IV Finance (Mortgage Broking) through online study.

Personally I found the on campus degree better for my learning style (but it wouldn't be suited so well to someone working FT).

If I could afford to do on campus, I would, but more than likely my work situation won't allow it. Thinking of doing a Diploma in Financial Planning next.

It has the same merit, but as an employer I would be concerned about someone undertaking a training and assessment course online as the course itself is quite practical. I would worry that if you can't learn the course in a room full of people, then how can you teach a room full of people.
Not only that, but speaking as a student, I find it better to learn in a classroom environment. Online can be a little isolating, whereas making friends can allow you to access help more immediately. I get that not everyone can get to a campus, but it's more difficult to get less complacent when studying on a campus. Too easy to get distracted at home sometimes with online stuff.

I did my Master's online while I was living overseas. There's nothing on my certificate or transcript to say it was done online.

I did my Master's online while I was living overseas. There's nothing on my certificate or transcript to say it was done online.

I'm doing my masters online and have qualified for the grad cert so far and it doesn't say anything about online. I've found some subjects are better than others for online, some specifically design a portion of the course for online and one particular lecturer really made no concession for us. He just uploaded a whole lot o reading for us to do, didn't put any lectures on the subject page and we got given the assignments. I'll probably still get a distinction I think but i've learnt nothing, waste of time.

How much difference does it make to employers when looking at a person's qualifications? Does face to face make you more employable?

I'm thinking of doing a cert IV in Training and Assessment. Totally online is much cheaper, but does it have the same merit?

Thanks in advance.
I did an accounting degree and hardly turned up to any classes. Just taught myself it all from the books and some online lectures.

The whole face to face thing is bullshit to me.

i think the provider is the most important factor.

as people have mentioned if it's from a reputable institution, online shouldn't be a problem.

if it's from some mickey mouse RTO that'll probably be in liquidation in the next 6 months you might want to reconsider.

private training is an absolute rort.

Thanks in advance.
I did the face to face TAE and personally thought it suited my learning style. If it was online I may have slacked off or even missed some nuances. Then again TAE , either online or not is down to the reputation of the provider who taught it and the company employing you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back