Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I can find room for some Suns players.

I'd put Harbrow in for Hodge. It's not a like for like replacement. Witherden is our eventual replacement for Hodge. Unfortunately there isn't a place for Answerth in the best 22.

Depending on how Marcus Adams fits in to the defence, there is a place for Collins to.

Bowes starts opposite McCluggage on a wing. We've rotated a number of players on the wing opposite McCluggage. Fagan wants inside outside players on the wing, mids who can go inside and win it, but are also classy by foot on the outside.

Weller comes in for Mitch Robinson, but it's not a like for like replacement.

Swallow comes in for Mathieson, but starts and Lyons goes to the bench.

Peter Wright is an obvious inclusion ahead of McStay. And Wright doesn't have to ruck, because Fagan wants two rucks in the team, with one able to rest forward. And Ainsworth replaces Rayner, who is horribly out of form.

My team would be.

Witherden Adams* (Collins) Gardiner
Harbrow Andrews Rich

Bowes Neale McCluggage
Martin Swallow Berry

Cameron Hipwood Zorko
McCarthy Wright Ainsworth

Int: McInnerney, Bailey, Weller, Lyons

So if Adams doesn't pan out, or Collins comes in and Andrews and Collins switch roles.
Boy that team would be fun to watch

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Boy that team would be fun to watch
Would probably win a Premiership or 3 and give Collingwood a run for best midfield in the competition. The forward line would out Richmond Richmond at their small forward pressure game. And the defence just puts up a wall and marks or punches out every high ball the opposition sends in.

Yep, that was hard to watch. No confidence. Missing 9 players but still I did not expect this.
I think it was worse than last week, if possible. I know people like to blame stevo for being a stupid idiot, but we've been struggling since port. Is it confidence? You probably could put half the team in the VFL, but we have not many people banging the door down. John Noble who we picked from the mid-season draft is probably one of the only. And çrocker, unfortunately lol Players are down on form and confidence, and I have no idea how they are gonna fix it. Not to mention we have Eagles, Giants and richmond next three weeks.

if you think it was hard to watch, imagine me at the game. Wanted to smash this hawks supporter behind me. lol Quaynor, our debutant did well though. One of the few positives, and the backline.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it was worse than last week, if possible. I know people like to blame stevo for being a stupid idiot, but we've been struggling since port. Is it confidence? You probably could put half the team in the VFL, but we have not many people banging the door down. John Noble who we picked from the mid-season draft is probably one of the only. And çrocker, unfortunately lol Players are down on form and confidence, and I have no idea how they are gonna fix it. Not to mention we have Eagles, Giants and richmond next three weeks.

if you think it was hard to watch, imagine me at the game. Wanted to smash this hawks supporter behind me. lol Quaynor, our debutant did well though. One of the few positives, and the backline.
Yes, not only confidence. Basically everything. Everybody expected response but nothing. How could they drop so deep? Quaynor looks talented. I feel even Suns could have a chance against Pies at the moment :)

Yes, not only confidence. Basically everything. Everybody expected response but nothing. How could they drop so deep? Quaynor looks talented. I feel even Suns could have a chance against Pies at the moment :)
With the way we are playing, they could lol

Just give me some effort and that's all you can ask for. Hopefully suns give me some effort and have a crack to make the weekend not so crappy lol

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs

I'd put Harbrow in for Hodge. It's not a like for like replacement. Witherden is our eventual replacement for Hodge. Unfortunately there isn't a place for Answerth in the best 22.

Depending on how Marcus Adams fits in to the defence, there is a place for Collins to.

Bowes starts opposite McCluggage on a wing. We've rotated a number of players on the wing opposite McCluggage. Fagan wants inside outside players on the wing, mids who can go inside and win it, but are also classy by foot on the outside.

Peter Wright is an obvious inclusion ahead of McStay. And Wright doesn't have to ruck, because Fagan wants two rucks in the team, with one able to rest forward. And Ainsworth replaces Rayner, who is horribly out of form.

My team would be.

Harbrow Andrews Rich

Bowes Neale McCluggage
Martin Swallow Berry

Cameron Hipwood Zorko

So if Adams doesn't pan out, or Collins comes in and Andrews and Collins switch roles.

Yep, based on how they have played this year, reckon that is about right. Those Bowes and Ainsworth injuries are a rteal blow, they were playing very well.
Jack Martin would have made it easily early doors, but getting further and further away.
Would also find a way to get Mitch Robinson in there.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

My team would be.

Harbrow Andrews Rich

Bowes Neale McCluggage
Martin Swallow Berry

Cameron Hipwood Zorko

Hi mate,
Discussed with the wife (the Lions supporter) and she and I pretty well agree with you but with a few caveats - Harbrow for Hodge works when you consider Hodgie's role and age and Swallow for Mathieson is one I missed. I'll take David Swallow any day. McStay vs Wright is a 50/50 coin toss - both underwhelming at times. Weller for Robinson is fine - again only for the age thing. Robinson's aggression is something the Suns don't have. Bowes is a good choice for wing based on what I initially said - we're burning him out too early in the middle. Ainsworth for Rayner is again a 50/50 - both with big futures......and lastly Collins for Adams would seem a fair swap given similar players and it'd come down to consistent form when both are playing.

If he could only stay on the park, Hanley would have to be a consideration - after all he was a Lion before he was a Sun!

Thanks for joining in and making this little topic interesting. The inclusion of the Suns boys would make Lions almost unbeatable while at the same time highlights where we are in terms of challenging. A long way to go so fingers crossed.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The Mitch Robinson discussion is interesting.

If we’re talking about the team above, Mitch Robbo for Zac Bailey is the obvious swap.

Many Lions fans feel we have already drafted MRobbo’s replacement in Tom Berry. And MRobbo is likely to only receive a 1 year deal, again.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Last night's game was pretty hard to watch. For 3 qtrs both teams appeared too scared to make a mistake & it wasn't until Hawthorn were 3 goals down that they started taking risks and scored 3 goals in 5 minutes. Collingwood two goals down and started attacking too.
Coaches and their 15 assistants are making it a defensive eyesore.

Last night's game was pretty hard to watch. For 3 qtrs both teams appeared too scared to make a mistake & it wasn't until Hawthorn were 3 goals down that they started taking risks and scored 3 goals in 5 minutes. Collingwood two goals down and started attacking too.
Coaches and their 15 assistants are making it a defensive eyesore.

Yeah, tell me about it.

Pies were focused on defending rather than attacking like they did last year. They need to go back to the style of play that got us to finals/GF rather than this crap way of playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game and great win to do it over there.
Definitely. Pies have not won in perth against the eagles in a decade.. and our backs were against the wall. The media were in our face and our form was terrible; but this win means a lot. I feel the form start shifting.
De Goey was pretty instrumental. Mihocheck, who spent years in defense in VFL is now important to our forward structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back