Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

For Fitzroy supporters of my generation, this was our first finals experience. I was sitting in the forward pocket where Mick goaled at 6.25. What a great day!

Thanks Mr Ripper,
I was at this one too. We absolutely pulled Essendon to pieces. I will never forget Lions supporters sustained, slow, booming chant of “FITZROY, FITZROY” in the last quarter. You can hear it in the video. We were stiff that year. People talk about 1983 as the year where we should have won the flag, but I think we were a big chance in 1979. It was a magical season.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Ripper,
I was at this one too. We absolutely pulled Essendon to pieces. I will never forget Lions supporters sustained, slow, booming chant of “FITZROY, FITZROY” in the last quarter. You can hear it in the video. We were stiff that year. People talk about 1983 as the year where we should have won the flag, but I think we were a big chance in 1979. It was a magical season.
Am I correct in saying that highlights of first semi v Collingwood were played in the film “the club”?

Am I correct in saying that highlights of first semi v Collingwood were played in the film “the club”?
Hey Cousin,

That’s right. From memory they used the 1979 Semi and edited in Collingwood and Fitzroy players in a staged “recreation” of scenes from a game that included the character Geoff Hayward.

Thanks Mr Ripper,
1981 says “hello” shafted by Ross Brewer at the G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Only footage of my old coach Brett Grimley playing
He’s also in the 1984 St.Kilda game that I posted in the preview thread. Where did he coach? I seem to remember he coached my youngest brother at one stage.

He’s also in the 1984 St.Kilda game that I posted in the preview thread. Where did he coach? I seem to remember he coached my youngest brother at one stage.
Balwyn Tigers early 90’s had a bad back and only played when he thought we were a chance…which at this point in time wasn’t often. Was a very clever player who used his body very cleverly. Very funny man.

Balwyn Tigers early 90’s had a bad back and only played when he thought we were a chance…which at this point in time wasn’t often. Was a very clever player who used his body very cleverly. Very funny man.
I put the game in here too. My brother played U19’s at Hawthorn, then Box Hill and Old Caulfield in the ammo’s - he might have had a run at Balwyn, but I can certainly remember him talking about Grimley. I might have to ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back