Roast Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LA Lakers.
He had one of his best seasons last year, but this year has failed to make an impact on any of the 5 games.

We all know his capabilities and that he is an asset to the team, but should persist with him or give someone like Laycock a try ? like that we would have done the Milne/NDL tactic that seemed to have worked with Ross Lyon.

The bottom line is as a ruckman, he isn't anywhere near physical enough in this competition...

Was great last year, yeah, but maybe he has become a little bit complacent with Hille returning...

Ryder works best when the pressure is all on him, he needs to be at CHB, where he is accountable and his disposal and run is needed. Hille is purely a ruck or I would say put Ryder solo in ruck.

Fairly poor intensity in the past few games, and I agree with Macca that he has become complacent. Having the two in the side has worked against us.

However, I think that he is a better tap ruckman than Hille. Perhaps with a bit more responsibility- being forced to ruck for a majority of the game- we will see an improvement in his stats etc. Where that leaves Hille, I don't know.

I think that he is a better tap ruckman than Hille.
His leap allows him to get his hand to the ball more often, but it's rarely to Essendon's advantage, i.e., an Essendon clearance. Some of that is the blokes on the ground, but some is Paddy's too. Too often, his 'taps' simply bring the ball straight down in front of him. Same was true last year in my view.

He's not doing great. But it's harder to do so when you're playing more forward in a team that is making all our forwards look bad.

Suffering from Mark Mecuri Syndrome (circa '99): play your heart out, rewarded with a generous contract and flop thereafter.

Let's hope he swings things around sooner rather than later.

Selling Mercuri short by a long way.. He was an exceptional player throughout the 90's and had a standout season in 1999.. After that, well, I think most are aware of the personal problems he suffered through

I want him to go back to Bendigo to learn how to be selfish.

He is probably our most talented player, so he needs to demand the ball be in his hands.

Make him play at least 3 games for Bendigo.

Dont promote him until he averages at least 20 possessions.

L A Z Y
has the tools, but lazy and unaccountable.

certainly not on his pat malone, but needs to pull the finger out in a very big way - has done nothing all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great player to watch. Skilled, athletic and reads the play as well as anyone. This season though his work rate is almost half of what it was last season. This maybe because he does not know where he belongs. He played for a long time as CHB where he was just starting to feel comfortable. Then he was moved forward for a few games and looked a bit lost. Then into the ruck when Hille went down and flourished as first choice ruck. However Hille is back now so where does that leave him?

Its a 50/50 call this week if you drop him or keep him. You are playing the Hawks who have 1 ruckman and no defenders of any real quality. Could that give him some confidence? Could that game be the turning point? However if he plays and fails again then well that is a long, long, long way back.

My choice would be to play him. Great players do not have that many bad games in a row and he is a great player.

Wow. A footballer going through personal issues. Amazing, isn't it? Wouldn't read about it...

We're asking him to put in 2 solid hours of HARD football a week for the sake of his struggling team and the club paying X amount of hundreds of thousands per year to do it...

Sorry, call me callous or heartless or whatever but excuses like that are such a soft way out. My own family has its own health problems and other issues but does that allow me to use that as an excuse for everything else that goes wrong in life and allow me to shirk any other responsibilities in my life with my job, University etc? NO.

And yeah, I definitely understand there is WAY more to life than football... but if he can't mentally handle the industry he is in due to other personal reasons, then he should look for another career and pay somebody else $300-500,000 a year to train two or three times a week and show up for 2 hours on the weekend to play a game of football, FFS.

Wow. A footballer going through personal issues. Amazing, isn't it? Wouldn't read about it...

We're asking him to put in 2 solid hours of HARD football a week for the sake of his struggling team and the club paying X amount of hundreds of thousands per year to do it...

Sorry, call me callous or heartless or whatever but excuses like that are such a soft way out. My own family has its own health problems and other issues but does that allow me to use that as an excuse for everything else that goes wrong in life and allow me to shirk any other responsibilities in my life with my job, University etc? NO.

And yeah, I definitely understand there is WAY more to life than football... but if he can't mentally handle the industry he is in due to other personal reasons, then he should look for another career and pay somebody else $300-500,000 a year to train two or three times a week and show up for 2 hours on the weekend to play a game of football, FFS.

well not everyone copes with these sort of things the same way! in AFL football if your mind if just a little bit off your going to suffer and the team is going to suffer,,, which i believe is totally different to a normal job...

when a players family member passes some of them play and others take time off, its upto them, but if its really affecting them they should be able to have some time away!

Posted this earlier in the "Ryder the midfielder" thread, but it more than likely is linked to the 'personal health issues':

It should be remembered he's just become a father for the first time.

Plenty of sleepless nights, early mornings and a major distraction (if not the best possible one).

It wouldn't surprise me if his lackluster performances and lack of intensity is the result of all of this, unfortunately.

It's more than reasonable for someone to struggle with motivation and form playing football if they are dealing with family troubles, being a new parent, and all sorts of other things. Especially if they're 22 year old, living in a different state to the one they grew up in and have their family in, and are from an indigenous background.

What the **** would you know about Paddy's situation to decide whether or not it's reasonable for him to be distracted from footy a little more than he would be otherwise.

It's not like he's not going out and trying still. He's 22 years old in a team that is collectively playing s**t and he's down on form, and you're willing to just sit there and abuse him?

It's more than reasonable for someone to struggle with motivation and form playing football if they are dealing with family troubles, being a new parent, and all sorts of other things. Especially if they're 22 year old, living in a different state to the one they grew up in and have their family in, and are from an indigenous background.

What the **** would you know about Paddy's situation to decide whether or not it's reasonable for him to be distracted from footy a little more than he would be otherwise.

It's not like he's not going out and trying still. He's 22 years old in a team that is collectively playing s**t and he's down on form, and you're willing to just sit there and abuse him?

Err... where exactly did I 'abuse' him? You're the one swearing at me.

Everybody has their own issues but people are using the whole he has "personal issues" as an excuse for his poor form... I'm sure there are other players in other teams and probably within our own who suffer equally similar problems or worse... but would the club or this player come out and blame it as an excuse for poor form? It's a weak cop out and fair enough Paddy hasn't once used an excuse like this and probably wouldn't but for supporters to bring it up as a justification is pathetic.

You have no clue. Look back at what you wrote. You're calling him out as weakminded, physically soft, and mocking how much he gets paid, just because he's not setting the world on fire at a time when he's likely going through some personal issues.

It happens, you know. People have personal issues and they affect their lives. Just because you don't want it to be the case doesn't stop it being a legitimate factor that impacts on how people perform at their jobs.

This 'roast' thread is built on the fact that some people think Paddy should be a superstar at 22, and that because he's not demonstratively aggressive like someone like Reimers that not meeting expectations is even more unforgivable.

Get over it. His form isn't that bad compared to the team average. He's not a 10 year senior player or the C, and if he's going through some personal issues it's more that reasonable to say "lay off" him, without having a turkey like you have a go at him because of how much money he earns.

i understand he may have personal issues. honestly though, his job is a to be a footballer. and he is paid to perform at a high standard.

if he has personal issues preventing him from focusing on football, then he should be played in the twos until he can give his football the attention it deserves.

he has been pathetic this year. for people to be calling for him to be replaced by laycock shows how far he has fallen. playing against hawthorn this week, he should DOMINATE the game.

You have no clue. Look back at what you wrote. You're calling him out as weakminded, physically soft, and mocking how much he gets paid, just because he's not setting the world on fire at a time when he's likely going through some personal issues.

It happens, you know. People have personal issues and they affect their lives. Just because you don't want it to be the case doesn't stop it being a legitimate factor that impacts on how people perform at their jobs.

This 'roast' thread is built on the fact that some people think Paddy should be a superstar at 22, and that because he's not demonstratively aggressive like someone like Reimers that not meeting expectations is even more unforgivable.

Get over it. His form isn't that bad compared to the team average. He's not a 10 year senior player or the C, and if he's going through some personal issues it's more that reasonable to say "lay off" him, without having a turkey like you have a go at him because of how much money he earns.

If his personal issues are that bad, and you're right everybody has them at the point, then he should NOT be playing. The fact is he has put his hand up to play and why shouldn't supporters have expectations on players? How long will people like you keep falling back on the "we're still young" excuse and keep sheltering players like Paddy?

"Oh no... we can't be critical of Ryder because he is only 22..." RUBBISH.

Patrick Ryder is now in his FIFTH season at an AFL club, was a top 10 draft pick and has played nearly 80 games ... why shouldn't we be analysing and being critical of recent lacklustre performances?

As I said, if his personal issues are THAT bad and mentally impacting his performances on the field... then he shouldn't be playing, simple as that. He has put his hand up to play whatever his problems are so why shouldn't we expect nothing less than a 100% effort? He certainly isn't the only player on our list at the moment either that has serious question marks over them.

i agree. if he's not right, mentally, then he shouldn't be playing.

whether he is 'right' or not, his performance has been unacceptable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back