Autopsy Parallels

Remove this Banner Ad

Many people have compared our efforts this year to the 2002 team; I think a more apt comparison is the 2007 team which made the pseudo GF otherwise known as the PF against Geelong, and went down by... 5 points.

That team was also not the best of its year, it featured a great crop of young players coming through with a smattering of the elder statesmen in Buckley (whom we all struggled to see ourselves succeeding without) and Clement.

We had a key injury in Josh Fraser meaning we had to play Guy Richards against Brad Ottens who ended up being the difference between the two sides. Our boys looked at times as if we’d go on with the job but just couldn’t break their backs.

A couple of years later, we’d addressed our main deficiencies and made back-to-back GFs.

In some regards, maybe... but it was the first trip to finals for the 2007 team in... three years? This year it was five.

Long way to go and there are no guarantees in football. With our draw next year we could just as easily drop out of the 8. I surely hope not, but you can’t rely on history to predict the future.

My point was that perhaps we were a little ahead of our time, we gave a good account of ourselves, and while guys like Pendlebury, Dunn and Goldsack are in their twilight we have a great core group of young players to build around.

My point was that perhaps we were a little ahead of our time, we gave a good account of ourselves, and while guys like Pendlebury, Dunn and Goldsack are in their twilight we have a great core group of young players to build around.

I hope we consolidate our work from this year. In many ways we over performed this year and are ahead of where we thought we'd be at the beginning of the season. If we can keep improving, if we can consistently make top four, we will be well placed for a flag. I want to see us improve our injury management and address some list needs.

In some regards, maybe... but it was the first trip to finals for the 2007 team in... three years? This year it was five.

We finished 5th and got belted in the finals to the Dogs in 06.

I like the comparison though. The 2007 team, like this year's, went further than any of us thought possible. The positive is we don't have players of the ilk of Bucks and Clement retiring at the end of this season though... if anyone?

With a couple of changes to our list I think we can definitely contend for a few years. There's plenty of improvement in the list, particularly in the middle & front half of the ground.

Parallels could be drawn with 2008 Hawthorn and 2016 Bulldogs perhaps? Maybe even Richmond of last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many people have compared our efforts this year to the 2002 team; I think a more apt comparison is the 2007 team which made the pseudo GF otherwise known as the PF against Geelong, and went down by... 5 points.

That team was also not the best of its year, it featured a great crop of young players coming through with a smattering of the elder statesmen in Buckley (whom we all struggled to see ourselves succeeding without) and Clement.

We had a key injury in Josh Fraser meaning we had to play Guy Richards against Brad Ottens who ended up being the difference between the two sides. Our boys looked at times as if we’d go on with the job but just couldn’t break their backs.

A couple of years later, we’d addressed our main deficiencies and made back-to-back GFs.

Game felt just like 2002 to me.
I was at both.
Many red time goals to opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In one year?

2007 by name is the best Collingwood squad I have seen assembled ever and by a long way. Go through that list and there’s about three players on it who didn’t have at very worst solid AFL careers. We missed out because all the players on the list were either coming down the mountain of their careers (think those that retired pre-2010), or only just starting to go up it (Pendlebury, Thomas, Goldsack, Toovey, O’Brien, T Cloke, Macaffer etc)

It’s that 2005 draft/rookie class I had in mind, largely.

We’ve got quite a few pieces seemingly locked in (assuming contracts hold up) for a few years to come.

B: Maynard, ? , Appleby
HB: Langdon, Howe , Crisp
C: Aish, Adams, Sidebottom
HF: Thomas, Cox, Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Stephenson, De Goey, Mihocek
Foll: Grundy, Sier, Treloar

Inter: Phillips

Young enough if good/fit enough: Murphy, Elliott, Moore, Scharenberg

As the year progressed the year felt more and more like 2002. An unexpected rise from the depths with assistance from experienced players brought in from other clubs. Unfortunately 2018 ended in the same manner. Looking over the age profiles of our final teams for the year though and it's much closer to 2007 albeit with role players (excluding Pendlebury) above 29 and generally more mature and experienced youth.

upload_2018-9-30_17-53-44.png

That's some great work there barrackers :thumbsu:
Cheers. AFL tables done the hard work though having that info for every match. I merely separated it into one table for the sake of better comparison.

There was only 9 players from the 2007 prelim left in the 2010 Premiership team...

B. Maxwell Brown Toovey
HB OBrien Reid Shaw
C Wellingham Swan Johnson
HF Didak Cloke Ball
F Beams Dawes Sidebottom

R Jolly Pendles Thomas
Int Macaffer Blair Goldsack Brown

I reckon we are closer than that now :)

I'd like to think there are parallels with 2007 or 2009, because our work and development in those years led us to the promised land.

I also think the way we came on so quickly in 2018 may have surprised the club. That we nearly got there - within 5 points - is testament to the quality of our work this year, in player development, recruiting, the football department, assistant coaches, everything. And Bucks now has his coaching template.

These elements of our 2018 success are not going to dissipate over the off-season. We have the culture to ensure complacency does not creep in; we will not play the blame game; and we will review and strengthen what made us good to very good in 2018 and come back firing. Strong well run clubs do that, and we are that club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back