Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
http://afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/default.aspx?newsid=71791
Wollongong teen signs with Crows
11:11 AM Fri 06 February, 2009

Adelaide has signed Wollongong teenager Aidan Riley as a NSW Scholarship player.
Riley, who turned 17 in December, is a 181cm midfielder who impressed Crows recruiting manager Matthew Rendell at the recent NSW/ACT Under 18 State zone trials in Coffs Harbour. He has since been named in the NSW/ACT Rams squad for 2009.
“Aidan stood out to me – he impressed me with his speed, balance, agility, kicking, decision-making, and competitiveness,” Rendell said.
Shin splints restricted Riley’s football in 2008, when he was a member of the Rising Rams program and also played some senior games early in the season for the Wollongong Lions. However, he finished the season in the Sydney reserves side which won the AFL Canberra grand final by one point.
Originally from Perth, his family moved to Wollongong at the age of seven.
As a scholarship player, Riley is now eligible to be added to Adelaide’s list at the end of the year.
The Crows have two other players on NSW Scholarships – Sam Martyn (from Merimbula) and Aaron Duncan (Pennant Hills, Sydney).
The club’s first scholarship signing, Taylor Walker from Broken Hill, was promoted to the senior list at the end of 2007.

Re: NSW Scholarship Player - Aidan Riley

Great to see. I can claim to be the first on the Adelaide forums to correctly spell his name, too! :p

With the NSW Scholarship program, what's the ruling on when you have to have moved to NSW? Is it just for your mature football years, or could you, say, play in Adelaide until you were 16 and then move to NSW and be signed up on the program?

Great to see. I can claim to be the first on the Adelaide forums to correctly spell his name, too! :p

With the NSW Scholarship program, what's the ruling on when you have to have moved to NSW? Is it just for your mature football years, or could you, say, play in Adelaide until you were 16 and then move to NSW and be signed up on the program?
I beleive it is the same as the current State of origin rule (u18s and last years s**t at the MCG)

The place you lived the most from 11-18 or something like that.

But even so, let's say there is a promising young talent coming up through the ranks here in SA. Say, a Bryce Gibbs or something, someone you can tell is going to be special in a few years time when they reach drafting age. We want to make sure we get the kid. So what's to stop us from speaking to his family, getting them to relocate him or perhaps even the entire family to Sydney or wherever in NSW (the club could pay for the relocation of course, we may as well use our monetary strength to our advantage), then the second the clock ticks over for the third year we sign him up and get him for free?

If the answer is nothing (except perhaps the family won't want the kid to be uprooted during his early teenage years?) then I fully approve of us taking advantage of the situation :p

But even so, let's say there is a promising young talent coming up through the ranks here in SA. Say, a Bryce Gibbs or something, someone you can tell is going to be special in a few years time when they reach drafting age. We want to make sure we get the kid. So what's to stop us from speaking to his family, getting them to relocate him or perhaps even the entire family to Sydney or wherever in NSW (the club could pay for the relocation of course, we may as well use our monetary strength to our advantage), then the second the clock ticks over for the third year we sign him up and get him for free?

If the answer is nothing (except perhaps the family won't want the kid to be uprooted during his early teenage years?) then I fully approve of us taking advantage of the situation :p
Might as well...we could afford it.

A top 10 draft pick free each year would be nice.

Photo of Riley now up on AFC.com.au

AR.jpg

If he does end up on our list having two names that sound like Riley will be confusing :p

He looks like somebody who I used to play with.

Hopefully he isnt as big of a pain in the ass as the guy he looks like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/young-lion-makes-it-big/1431417.aspx
Promising Wollongong Lions teenager Aidan Riley has been signed by senior AFL club the Adelaide Crows as a NSW Scholarship player for 2009.

Riley, who turned 17 last December, is a 181cm midfielder who impressed Crows recruiting manager Matthew Rendell at the recent NSW-ACT under 18 state zone trials in Coffs Harbour.

"Aidan stood out and impressed me with his speed, balance, agility, kicking, decision-making, and competitiveness," Rendell, a former Crows premiership player, said.

Riley has an impressive resume as a member of the elite NSW-ACT Rams squad for 2009 and was part of the Sydney Swans' premiership-winning reserves last season.

Shin splints restricted Riley in 2008, but he was still a member of the Rising Rams program and also played some senior games early in the season for the Wollongong Lions.

Originally from Perth, the Riley family moved to Wollongong when Aidan was just seven.

As a scholarship player, Riley is now eligible to be added to Adelaide's senior list at the end of 2009.

The Crows have two other players on NSW scholarships in Sam Martyn, from Merimbula and Aaron Duncan from Pennant Hills.
Adelaide's first scholarship signing, Taylor Walker from Broken Hill, was promoted to the senior list at the end of 2007.

He's got quite the tan :D

At least there will be no confusion with Mackay, Vince etc

I liked it when they said Matt Rendell won a flag with the Crows.

Listed here as being 76kg. Can someone who knows these things better than me indicate how that matches up to other similarly sized (181cm) kids of his age?

I was trying to see if I could find any information for how various players went at the U/18 state zone trials or whatever they are called where Rendell decided he liked Riley and signed him up but I couldn't find much. Though I did see Riley kicked a goal in one of the games. (In another game his team scored literally no score).

Edit: Also, because I just love digging up random facts about our scholarship-listed players, it says here that Riley was awarded the title of Most Consistent player in his U/18s team at the end of 2007. Actually come to think of it, I may have already posted that in another Aidan Riley thread a month ago. Hmm.

Good to see Riley made the team for the first match (a loss) against the Western Jets in the TAC Cup. Unfortunately no stats (including goalkickers) are up yet so no idea how he went.

Was listed as being 5th best for the Rams. The following is taken from the TAC Cup thread in the Drafts & Trading board.

2009 TAC Cup
Western Jets 1.4 5.11 9.16 12.19 (91)
NSW ACT Rams 3.6 5.7 7.7 10.8 (68)

GOALS:
Western Jets: Halloran 3 Fitzpatrick 2 Gray 2 Aloi 2 Lawson Conway Ball
NSW ACT Rams: Duncan 3 Stubbs 3 Stevens 2 Kirkwood Johns

BEST:
Western Jets: Conway Gray Halloran Hartigan Ball Aloi
NSW ACT Rams: Stubbs Young Kirkwood Alexander Riley Olsson

Most of the discussion about the NSW team though has centred around Young, who has signed with Collingwood. Haven't seen Riley's name mentioned elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back