Past Player - James Battersby

Remove this Banner Ad

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? somewhere you posted that you were not a fan of James ?
I just posted a theory on why he fell so far in the national draft.

Don't mind that we've picked him up. Uses the ball beautifully. And even if my theory was right, you don't get flawless players in the rookie draft.

Don't mind that we've picked him up. Uses the ball beautifully. And even if my theory was right, you don't get flawless players in the rookie draft.

You rarely get them outside of the top handful of picks in the ND.

You rarely get them outside of the top handful of picks in the ND.

There is obvious reasons why he didnt get drafted in the ND. All 18 clubs couldnt have been wrong, its great though he has the opportunity for himself to prove them wrong. He will never be a superstar but can only hope he is good enough to get elevated.

There was almost universal praisefor him from BF experts and media commentators, yet he is selected almost 90 places after Tom Boyd. So IMO, his football wasn't the main issue as many rated him a top 30 prospect. I think he probably interviewed incredibly poorly, and had other problems that non-recruiters don't see.

What was your theory? I've heard nothing but praise for this kid yet he is a rookie listed player?

There must be some serious flaws to go to late surely.

Here's where Battersby was ranked/predicted in the national draft, so it's clear all had him inside the top 45, many in between the 20-30 range.

So to fall at least 60 spots below where most predicted to be picked means there's something the recruiters know that others don't, or recruiters think differently to media judges.

KP #20
Quigley #25
Snoop Dog #27 (and number 1 in his rookie phantom)
Chris25 #30
Knightmare #32
Paige #33
Inside football – Brett Anderson #43
Twomey (phantom only goes to 30, not listed).

He seems a genuine second (perhaps very early third) round draft pick. I wonder if the SA factor kept a few interstate teams at bay. When it comes to players of a similar calibre, they are probably more likely to go with the local over against the possible go home factor.

I think he ended up sliding for a couple of reasons. Firstly, recruiters place a lot more emphasis on form over the last few years rather than just this year, whereas phantom drafters only tend to look at what happens in the 6 months months leading up to the draft. Secondly, his size is obviously an issue, with recruiters worried he may not be able to compete at AFL level without putting on more mass.

I think he ended up sliding for a couple of reasons. Firstly, recruiters place a lot more emphasis on form over the last few years rather than just this year, whereas phantom drafters only tend to look at what happens in the 6 months months leading up to the draft. Secondly, his size is obviously an issue, with recruiters worried he may not be able to compete at AFL level without putting on more mass.
First reason possibly - not so sure about the second, he is a bit of a tank already and has comfortably acquitted himself against men in the SANFL.

There is something everyone is missing though - I don't buy the height thing, Taylor went top 30 and he is smaller with no obvious weapons like Hartung for example who has pace.

It had to be something over and above his footy given how well credentialed he is. I tend to think DABM may be on the money with his interviewing. I've done some checking, and whilst its wrong to say he is dumb as dog sh.... As was alleged, there may have been some personality issues. Suffice to say that being taken down a peg by only being rookied may have been a healthy result in terms of his overall development as a person.

I think the reason James slid down the draft was at AFL level he probably seems best suited to play as a rebounding small defender however he is too slow to play on the small forwards of the AFL aka Gartlett, Thomas etc. His other option is as an inside midfielder but the way the game is going with clubs wanting taller midfielders to play that position they couldn't see a role for him at the next level.

Heard from my little cousin who is at Pembroke now that Battersby had been telling people "yep, I'm gonna get drafted in the first round this year". Might go some way to explain his persona and why some clubs let him slide.

So confirmed he did fluff his interviews - impeccable source.

Oh well - only way is up now. Let your footy do the talking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scpaige's post rookie draft comments...

James Battersby
Club: Sturt
D.O.B.: 7.11.1995
Height: 177cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Small outside/inside midfielder
Plays Like: Brent Harvey
Shocked many by going overlooked in the National Draft, which was mainly due to the plethora of small types in 2013, nonetheless, Battersby is only 177cms, however his hardness and ferocity and elite disposal had some recruiters thinking he might go somewhere in the second round. Nonetheless, Battersby is blessed with composure, a high footy IQ and brilliant poise in traffic. A big time ball winner, whose disposal is ranked in the top 1% of this year’s draft crop, finishing with an unheard of 88% disposal efficiency is just the type of clean ball user a variety of clubs would be after. Battersby offers plenty of zip, bash and crash and wears his heart on his sleeve. The big, big tick here for Battersby – is that he has spent the year playing senior SANFL football for Sturt, something most potential draftees his age haven’t done. He has a match-hardened body since playing with and against men all year. He will really flourish in his development for Adelaide’s standalone side next year, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Battersby last only one season on Adelaide’s rookie list

Attachments

• James-Battersby1-200x300.jpg
    James-Battersby1-200x300.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 100
Was thinking he would be gone by pick 23 in the national draft but didnt think he would get this far. Steal of the draft along with Matt Crouch.

there's a brief interview of him that's just gone up on afc.com

I can see how he would interview poorly.

I'm so pleased we picked Battersby and Spina up. This was the year that our U18's had some depth. You'd think that if we're ever going to pluck another Goodwin/Edwards/Rutten/Bock local boy from obscurity this would have been the year.

I'm so pleased we picked Battersby and Spina up. This was the year that our U18's had some depth. You'd think that if we're ever going to pluck another Goodwin/Edwards/Rutten/Bock local boy from obscurity this would have been the year.
I am still in a quandary as to why James Battersby was not given another year on the rookie. Was he actually offed another year or did he opt out after only being offered a rookie spot. I thought he showed a fair bit in the SaNFL Crows team. What did I miss in his form? Is his size not what the Crows want? I thought his disposal was elite and being so young has plenty of upside. At each level he has stepped up and proved himself. As an U18 All Australian he slipped to the rookie draft and most supporters were ecstatic to rate him as a steal,in the draft. Even in this year's draft I would have to rate him top 30. I hope this delisting does not come back to bite us on the rear end!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back