Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s footage of the front on angle showing he has eyes for the ball only. He may get a week but Blues will challenge it and it will get thrown out.

It doesn’t matter that his eyes were on the ball. It wasn’t a marking contest.

Ah Chee has been confirmed as concussed and will himself miss his next game, per Fagan.

Get used to not seeing Cripps out there for the next fortnight. It can only be careless, high impact, high contact. If Ah Chee has left the ground with a concussion, the impact surely must be considered high.

Cripps was just contesting the ball, Ah Chee can't get the ball if he's unconscious. Watching him intentionally cause head trauma to another player was inspiring stuff.
cry baby GIF

Left the ground, turned his body, got him high, concussed him.

Best case is Careless, High, High contact and 2 matches.

Worst case, is Intentional, Severe and high contract which is 4+ matches.

3 is about right

View attachment 1469263
Will be deemed careless, but surely with the other player being subbed out, it’s high high impact. Has to be at least 2 weeks. Anything else is an absolute joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FZjNclwagAAzzFo

Playing devils advocate here but does this angle of the incident change things? looks like he was going for it and last second had to brace for impact. Wasn't the Rioli one earlier this year quite similar?

The Riolo defense was built around it being a marking contest.

Thanks as ever to k31th for the gif.

What is it with Marlion Pickett and the MRO? Pickett sneezes the MRO busts his ass. Opponents have free hits at his head seemingly with full MRO approval.

Three incidents shown on this thread where Pickett has been penalised by the MRO, all debatable at the very least. Yet Pickett twice now hit in the head by opponents, once by a swinging arm tackle and once with a bump to the head, both times MRO says no action. Doesn’t even mention it as being considered. Why is Marlion’s bump on Moore with initial impact absorbed by the body a week, and this bump by Jones catching nothing but Marlion’s head is no free, no fine no suspension?

Why was Marlion’s swinging arm tackle to the upper body/neck area on Starcevich a week and the swinging arm tackle that immediately preceded it by Bailey on Pickett impacting nothing but Marlion’s head is no penalty?

Why is Butler’s push on Marlion no penalty and Marlion’s push of roughly equal force on Butler a free kick and a fine, just because Butler put mayo on it and Marlion didn’t?

I know Marlion will never complain, but what is going on here? Let’s remind ourselves a few weeks back Marlion got a week for this:

The two bumps you can see in the above post I made in the Marlion Pickett thread may give some precedents to work from.

The bump Marlion delivered on Moore got 1 week graded careless, high contact and automatic medium impact because he elected to bump and contacted the head, though Moore was not injured.

So if that was used as a precedent no doubt Cripps gets at least two weeks due to the high impact grading as Callum Ahry was concussed.

The second bump was a bit more like this one Cripps has delivered. Surprisingly, it was not cited at all and no explanation given. Pickett was not injured but like Cripps, in that instance Jones initially had some pretences to contesting the ball before bracing for contact and bumping Pickett to the head. Pickett was not injured in the incident, but was clearly bumped to the head.

As you can see from my post on that thread I was surprised Jones was not cited for the bump on Pickett. But the fact he wasn’t may give Cripps some hope of avoiding penalty. The main difference I can see is Ah Chee was concussed.

Last edited:
There’s footage of the front on angle showing he has eyes for the ball only. He may get a week but Blues will challenge it and it will get thrown out.
Of course it will, the AFL manipulate this kind of stuff to suit their agenda and this year it's get Carlton into the finals.

If this doesn't end in two weeks it will set a precedent that you can NOW do this type of thing with impunity. A heap of players who have copped weeks for similar will be asking for refunds!

Doubt it.

Fagan has already said Ah Chee will miss his next game due to the concussion protocols. What are you anticipating the medical report will say instead?

FZjNclwagAAzzFo

Playing devils advocate here but does this angle of the incident change things? looks like he was going for it and last second had to brace for impact. Wasn't the Rioli one earlier this year quite similar?

Rioli was in a marking contest. Leaving your feet is the norm. Tackling is not an option. More importantly perhaps, the AFL recognises that the high flying mark is something that gets fans through the gates and makes our game attractive to newcomers and overseas viewers.

The bump, however, is something the AFL wants eliminated from the game. Bumping when he could have contested the ball, or held up and tackled Ah Chee, is an ugly look. Concussion makes it far worse as the impact has to be graded at least high. Leaving his feet in this instance to bump, as opposed to Rioli flying for a mark, is worse still.

Cripps is gone-diddly-gone. Mark your fixtures accordingly.

Fagan has already said Ah Chee will miss his next game due to the concussion protocols. What are you anticipating the medical report will say instead?
I'm just not sure this is the right decision. We see blokes crashing packs each week and other players getting sh*t mixed into the ground.

If Ah Chee was concussed it was from the contact with the ground. Not cripps shoulder.

I get that if a player chooses to bump and gets someone high then that's worthy of criticism. But not someone with their arms out looking at the footy.

This was a good hard contest and unfortunately for Ah Chee this happened. I may be very wrong. I get that. But just can't see why this should be penalised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back