Opinion Paul Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Blight was one of those electric players though, super elite in the position he played.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/six-moments-that-made-malcolm-blight-a-legend
PLUS
His outstanding coaching record.
Yeah I know he was a bloody awesome player. Just don't think he's in the greatest bunch of all time that's all.
It's all personal opinion but for mine there's probably only several absolute legends.
Also I wasn't aware of the coaching and media criteria etc when I made my first post.
I guess there's gonna be a lot of legends then.
I wonder if Malthouse & Parkin will make it. Both played in multiple flags and then coached multiple flags.
You'd have to think Sheedy will be made one.
Tommy Hafey and Norm Smith are true coaching legends. Wonder if they'll get in.
I hope Whitten is one.

Yeah I suppose. I dunno but. I thought legend would be those players that get talked about by generations to come.
Like I said before your Coleman, Farmer types. That is legendary to me anyway.
This is just a semantics argument. Out of the thousands of professional footballers does it really make a difference if the legends are top 10 or top 30 of all time? In any case they are all in the top 0.5 percent.

Yeah I know he was a bloody awesome player. Just don't think he's in the greatest bunch of all time that's all.
It's all personal opinion but for mine there's probably only several absolute legends.
Also I wasn't aware of the coaching and media criteria etc when I made my first post.
I guess there's gonna be a lot of legends then.
I wonder if Malthouse & Parkin will make it. Both played in multiple flags and then coached multiple flags.
You'd have to think Sheedy will be made one.
Tommy Hafey and Norm Smith are true coaching legends. Wonder if they'll get in.
I hope Whitten is one.
Sheedy no way. Wasnt good enough as a player. Would of had to win atleast 6 flags as a coach to make legend status given his playing career. Clarkson and Matthews have better coaching records then Sheedy.

This is just a semantics argument. Out of the thousands of professional footballers does it really make a difference if the legends are top 10 or top 30 of all time? In any case they are all in the top 0.5 percent.
Yeah it matters a bit to me. Not that I paid any attention to it all before this year TBH, but if it was for the absolute greatest I'd hold it in greater regard and would be interested in when the next legend was going to be announced and who it is.
Now I couldn't really care less.

Sheedy no way. Wasnt good enough as a player. Would of had to win atleast 6 flags as a coach to make legend status given his playing career. Clarkson and Matthews have better coaching records then Sheedy.
Yeah but there's other criteria now also. Like promoting the game, starting dream time and ANZAC games. Coached a massive amount of games.
Right or wrong he'll be in there for sure.
Goes back to what I'm saying, how many legends are there.

Yeah but there's other criteria now also. Like promoting the game, starting dream time and ANZAC games. Coached a massive amount of games.
Coaching more games should work against him though not for him. Reduces his premierships per games coached average. Promoting the game gets you in the hall of fame but is that a criteria for legend status? No legend is there at the moment other than for playing or coaching achievements.

Coaching more games should work against him though not for him. Reduces his premierships per games coached average. Promoting the game gets you in the hall of fame but is that a criteria for legend status? No legend is there at the moment other than for playing or coaching achievements.

Legends are limited to 10% of Hall of Fame inductees.
Legends are inducted solely on their playing and coaching records; other contributions (eg Sheedy's promotional work) are considered for HoF purposes(eg, Sheedy is in there), but not not considered for Legend purposes.
The only "coaching only" Legend so far is McHale, his playing record being relatively nondescript.
Whitten is a Legend, but certainly not on his notably unsuccessful coaching record; probably ditto Cable, Farmer, Jesaulenko, Nicholls, Skilton, Baldock, Bartlett.
Smith is a Legend because of his distinguished playing and coaching career; ditto Blight, Barassi, Coleman, Matthews, Reynolds.

What I don't understand about Blight's legend status is 2 years ago when Lockett went in he wasn't even mentioned in the conversation, now it's held in Adelaide this time he is all of a sudden the leading candidate.

Stevens in and Couch not really doesn't make sense, but the hall is media driven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back