Peel Thunder 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The competition is clearly not balanced, so anything that improves that is a good thing.

But yeah...

Rar rar conspiracy, etc.

If they wanted to make the competition balanced, they would have had a close look at what Subiaco were doing. This is not about having an even competition. It’s not really about Freo either.

It’s about an interloper WAFL club that has been an easybeat for years, which was just how the traditional WAFL teams liked it, turning it around and winning. It didn’t matter when Souths or the Royals were benefitting, as that was part of the natural order.

If they wanted to make the competition balanced, they would have had a close look at what Subiaco were doing. This is not about having an even competition. It’s not really about Freo either.

It’s about an interloper WAFL club that has been an easybeat for years, which was just how the traditional WAFL teams liked it, turning it around and winning. It didn’t matter when Souths or the Royals were benefitting, as that was part of the natural order.

Pretty much this

Not one person outside Peel gave a s**t when they finished last each year.

I hope we do the 3peat just for the melts. It will be hilarious to see what restrictions they put on for the following year.

Funnily enough this year I suspect the new restrictions won't hurt us that much as long as we keep a managable injury list. The best 22 is starting to soldify again so alot of the newer players will probably be playing near the full season at Peel.

I hope we do the 3peat just for the melts. It will be hilarious to see what restrictions they put on for the following year.

Funnily enough this year I suspect the new restrictions won't hurt us that much as long as we keep a managable injury list. The best 22 is starting to soldify again so alot of the newer players will probably be playing near the full season at Peel.
When we push deep into AFL finals, pretty sure we can play anyone we want who have played 5 WAFL games anyway!

You must be a Subi supporter?The comp has been imbalanced before the Fremantle Peel Cockburn Thunder Dockers came along
Souths.

But it's far more lopsided now due to alignments. It's great for the the AFL clubs and EP/Peel, not so much for the other teams trying to compete in what is essentially a 2 horse race.

Absolutely it's about an even competition, as despite what you obviously believe regarding AFL/Channel 7/Illuminati, the WAFC wants the WAFL to exist, which it won't if the competitive integrity of the league isn't maintained.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the WAFC were happy to watch Peel be an absolute abortion of a football club for the entirity of it's 10-15 year history, then gave them alignment to Freo (despite the arguably significant link to SF/EF) with the obvious implications of having 3/4 of your WAFL team being AFL listed players, then for the WAFC to backtrack because it prefers Peel as an utter basket case of a club.

Do you see how that's not a coherent stance to take?

Subi being remunirated for sharing their home ground and facilities with 2 AFL teams/ACDC/Ed Sheeran is a bit different than giving Peel an AFL list and telling them to just pull a Peel jumper over the top of their Freo one before they run out onto the ground.

But you keep wearing that tin foil hat son.

Last edited:
Absolutely it's about an even competition, as despite what you obviously believe regarding AFL/Channel 7/Illuminati, the WAFC wants the WAFL to exist, which it won't if the competitive integrity of the league isn't maintained.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the WAFC were happy to watch Peel be an absolute abortion of a football club for the entirity of it's 10-15 year history, then gave them alignment to Freo (despite the arguably significant link to SF/EF) with the obvious implications of having 3/4 of your WAFL team being AFL listed players, then for the WAFC to backtrack because it prefers Peel as an utter basket case of a club.

Subi being remunirated for sharing their home ground and facilities with 2 AFL teams/ACDC/Ed Sheeran is a bit different than giving Peel an AFL list and telling them to just pull a Peel jumper over the top of their Freo one before they run out onto the ground.

If you are calling me son, you are clearly suffering from senile dementia. Explains a bit.
You’ve also misrepresented me regarding your tin foil hat accusations. I don’t “obviously believe” your straw men.

Souths.

But it's far more lopsided now due to alignments. It's great for the the AFL clubs and EP/Peel, not so much for the other teams trying to compete in what is essentially a 2 horse race.

What isn’t coherent is you claiming that the WAFL is now a 2 horse race between Peel and East Perth. It’s not true. If anything, East Perth are worse now than they were before the alignment started up again. A case could be made for the competition being a one horse race (Subiaco) before Peel/Freo aligned.

I also don’t think the WAFC were happy to watch an uncompetitive Peel. But the other clubs were. Plenty were talking about booting them from the competition. The WAFC is acting because of the pressure being applied by those clubs. The hypocrisy I’ve being pointing to is that they should have been kicking up the same fuss regarding Subiaco’s advantage and East Perth’s 3-peat in the previous alignment.

Was Peel given alignment or were they the only club willing to take it on? I can't remember the latest alignment process and whether or not WAFL clubs were trying to align themselves with an AFL club, but I do remember Perth came out recently and said they want nothing to do with aligning with WC after their deal with East Perth expires.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/we-wont-join-west-coast-in-alignment-say-demons-ng-b88469763z
"“There is no member of our board or management who can identify any long-term benefit in being aligned with West Coast.”

But Mann said Perth’s circumstances were significantly different to the Royals when they did the deal with the Eagles in 2012.“East Perth were broke and had little choice because they had no money,” he said. “We don’t have the same problems that East Perth had.”

Mann said an alignment offered considerable downside for the WAFL partner as East Perth had discovered with the growing loss of disillusioned players, members and supporters."

Was Peel given alignment or were they the only club willing to take it on? I can't remember the latest alignment process and whether or not WAFL clubs were trying to align themselves with an AFL club, but I do remember Perth came out recently and said they want nothing to do with aligning with WC after their deal with East Perth expires.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/we-wont-join-west-coast-in-alignment-say-demons-ng-b88469763z
"“There is no member of our board or management who can identify any long-term benefit in being aligned with West Coast.”

But Mann said Perth’s circumstances were significantly different to the Royals when they did the deal with the Eagles in 2012.“East Perth were broke and had little choice because they had no money,” he said. “We don’t have the same problems that East Perth had.”

Mann said an alignment offered considerable downside for the WAFL partner as East Perth had discovered with the growing loss of disillusioned players, members and supporters."
Given/allocated/won/forced...it's not really important.

The AFL clubs needed alignment, and given they're the major breadwinners for the WAFC, they had to listen.

They then had to juggle the interests of 9 different WAFL clubs, 2 AFL clubs and the entirity of WA state football, to make it a reality.

Needless to say, while trying to make everyone happy, they didn't get it right first up and are still tinkering with it to try and make it work.

I don't get what the problem with that is, but that's usually the case with the ethereal logic of BF Freo.

As for the Subi stuff...pfft.

2 teams that cant play finals really disadvantages us when we actually make it 2 weeks into the AFL finals IMO, its best 22 or bust at that point with no WAFL games for 3 weeks (4 with the bye now?)

Will be interesting if Peel play 2 finals whilst freo make the finals and a bunch of players hit the 3 games after july requirement, would they then technically be allowed to play for Peel even if freo are knocked out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 teams that cant play finals really disadvantages us when we actually make it 2 weeks into the AFL finals IMO, its best 22 or bust at that point with no WAFL games for 3 weeks (4 with the bye now?)
I would expect an agreement between WCE and FFC that if they did get their stand alone teams then if one side was in the finals the other would field a team against them, the primary issue as I saw it was two new teams means all the AFL talent ripped from the WAFL clubs plus another thirty or so players injected into the competition, which would dilute the quality.

Plus which players would you see wanting to play for a side that will never play for a flag? They would need to pay them well.

I would expect an agreement between WCE and FFC that if they did get their stand alone teams then if one side was in the finals the other would field a team against them, the primary issue as I saw it was two new teams means all the AFL talent ripped from the WAFL clubs plus another thirty or so players injected into the competition, which would dilute the quality.

Plus which players would you see wanting to play for a side that will never play for a flag? They would need to pay them well.
But then wouldn't that eat up the player designated AFL break period as if you don't make the finals you must start the pre season earlier, seems like a s**t card for the rookies forced to play for nothing and have a shorter break just coz Eagles made the finals.

But then wouldn't that eat up the player designated AFL break period as if you don't make the finals you must start the pre season earlier, seems like a s**t card for the rookies forced to play for nothing and have a shorter break just coz Eagles made the finals.
The players time off depends on when the club releases them, they don't all have to come back the same time

How about instead of restricting the number of AFL players available for Peel (and East Perf if they ever make it), they just increase the number of ex-AFL players available to all other clubs! Would improve the quality of the league and possibly get bums in seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back