People that have moved interstate

Remove this Banner Ad

would love to move interstate, the move wouldn't bother me but finding a job seems very hard to do unless you can move within your company.

Id love to move from tassie except for the traffic and commute you get in Melbourne

Also when i am there its holidays so maybe i see it through the wrong eyes

I also just find the logistics of the move off putting
Really depends on your interests, preferred lifestyle, and occupation. Whole industries simply don't exist in Tasmania, or are very close to non-existence, but in other cases you can get nearly the same money and far, far cheaper accommodation making your options better in Tas.

The commute in Melbourne can be OK, rarely as easy as in most of Tas, but depending on your job not too bad. If your industry means working CBD or nearby, then a decent commute means either a huge accommodation cost or a big accommodation cost living in a shitbox. (I chose the latter in both Melbourne and Canberra.) Otherwise, you might get lucky enough to find a job and home close to each other.

Has anyone lived in FNQ? Whats prospects of jobs etc like up there. Cost of living etc?
Would be keen to move to the warm climate at some point.

I lived in cairns for a year and loved it. Toward the end I couldn't wait to leave though.

Partying every night and banging Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian chicks gets tiresome after awhile.

I'd only go there if you were thinking of working for yourself.

I lived in cairns for a year and loved it. Toward the end I couldn't wait to leave though.

Partying every night and banging Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian chicks gets tiresome after awhile.

I'd only go there if you were thinking of working for yourself.

Thanks for the reply mate, having been on a few boys trips there i know what you mean but this would be with the misses.
Would it be hard to get jobs up there you think? Im in sales and shes and Arcitect.

Thanks for the reply mate, having been on a few boys trips there i know what you mean but this would be with the misses.
Would it be hard to get jobs up there you think? Im in sales and shes and Arcitect.

Sales would be fine but I'd suggest she apply for work before taking the leap.

I was in marine science back then, so work wasn't an issue given the money thrown at the reef.

What are housing prices like up there to buy or rent?

quite a spectrum but higher than they are worth. inner city was high but the burbs were reasonable.

Just be aware the crime rate is high, especially for assault and sexual assault. As such, I'd suggest paying higher rent and avoiding some of the more colourful burbs.

Oh and the northern beaches like Holloways beach are safe, cheaper and offer a great lifestyle

Moving to Melbs was one of the great decisions I've made. It was always going to happen but I'm glad it did. I still remember the first week or so and not really having much of a network, no uni on, and the pangs of homesickness. It was pretty lonely but the days when you started getting accustomed to your new city is almost tangible. It's a little like coming out of a flu, you can just feel it going away.

The biggest thing for me was actually just living out of home. I had to do this a week before my 18th birthday because I grew up in the country originally. I'm 23 now and so many people I know are only starting to consider it now. In some ways I'm really happy with moving out because you'd be shocked how many young men don't make their beds or can't cook a meal. In other ways I sometimes missed the assurance and comfort we all need – a bad day at uni is made better when you have a home cooked meal and people to have a cup of tea with. Maybe I would've saved money too. Probably not, I just would've spent it all on piss and clothes...

I've just finished my degree and my lease is up in a few weeks, so my basic idea is to return to Perth until mid-year and I'll go travelling then. In a way I'm looking forward to it.

My dream would be to move overseas and I have my fingers crossed I can prolong my stay in the US. A few years ago I would've liked a place like Sheffield or Leeds or of course the dream, London, but now I think small-ish town America could be a trip. Who knows if it'll happen. But my life is limbo and flux at the moment – nowhere to be, no one wanting me anyway. I've got a girlfriend of a few years but at this age it's nothing that is completely tying me down. I've got no idea what I want to do or where I want to be. Have a really, really good network of friends over here these days. When I go back to WA, unlike the Melburnians I know they've moved on from high school friendships, people have moved. I don't have that anymore there. Whereas here, I want to return, even if it's in ten months or a year. Too many good mates, I know what pubs are good, I love going to the footy on a boring Saturday on a good value AFL Membership, I feel at home in areas like North Melbourne to Flemington to Moonee Ponds, Fitzroy and its surrounds, even suburbs like South Melbourne which I've never even lived in.

I used to draw up and plan my life but who knows how it'll pan out. Melbs is one of the great living cities in the world, I reckon. The Australian housing market is a massive bummer but that's everywhere. I wouldn't mind living in Adelaide for a few months over summer or Sydney maybe for six months, but ultimately I doubt that'll happen – too much good stuff in Melbourne. If I ended up living in Freo forever more I'd be surprised but I don't think I'd be angry.

In some ways I think the negative of this is being jealous of people who have the luxury to shift out of a sharehouse and back home, while still keeping the friends, jobs, and life they had before. And sometimes it's a little sad when others are at the pub and bump into more people than you, or people talk about their school or region... in some ways it shows they're insular, in others it's a nice thing. Who knows.

I guess you're one way or the other. I would love to look back on life and say I've lived in like eight places all fairly different. That'd be a cool thing.

Ive never gotten over the homesickness and ive been out of Adelaide for 12 years.
I remember you living in Katanning or Narrogin or something though? Williams? I wonder if that contributed?

I got over it and now barely ever think about it. I just don't think about it. I don't think I could live with my parents for too long these days, though sometimes I feel guilty and feel like maybe I skipped out on responsibility when issues arise.

It's the inverse when I travel – first five weeks are awesome; whirlwind feelings, things changing, so much to keep your mind occupied. Then after the pressure of getting to trains on time, bad sleeps, loneliness, it hits me and all I want is to say g'day to the person behind the counter, hear crickets and cicadas, see 70s houses, see my friends and family, sleep in a normal bed... it gets really heavy then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember you living in Katanning or Narrogin or something though? Williams? I wonder if that contributed?

I got over it and now barely ever think about it. I just don't think about it. I don't think I could live with my parents for too long these days, though sometimes I feel guilty and feel like maybe I skipped out on responsibility when issues arise.

It's the inverse when I travel – first five weeks are awesome; whirlwind feelings, things changing, so much to keep your mind occupied. Then after the pressure of getting to trains on time, bad sleeps, loneliness, it hits me and all I want is to say g'day to the person behind the counter, hear crickets and cicadas, see 70s houses, see my friends and family, sleep in a normal bed... it gets really heavy then.
Yeah Narrogin. Im up in Perth now but miss Adelaide quite alot still.

Just on this, Ive spent 4 of the last 5 years outside of Australia and I dont get homesick, except when Im on the phone to Mum and I can hear the birds in the background. That really hits me. To me that is the sound of Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back