People who don't accept Xmas gifts

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
my wife and I tried to give my father in law a Xmas gift tonight. He said no thanks, under the circumstances.

He isn't my wife's father but has been with her mum for 10 years.

They've been having troubles for some stupid reason. We drove 300 kms to be here and barely seen him over 36 hours.

Tonight he comes home and my wife tries to give him our gift and he says no thanks.

campaigner no?

Would have smashed the bottle, and glassed the campaigner.*
*Not really. How strange.
He sat down at the table " and I really wanted to unwrap it in front of him and explain how to use it.. ( it's a stylish holder for Nespresso caps), as a statement. But I'm holding back and doing my best to not get involved in family things.

For a man in his 50s I find it extremely embarrassing and I feel for my wife's mum who has been living with this guy.

Update.. he ate alone and went to bed without a word. It's 22.21 Xmas night and he hasn't said a word to anyone.

He sounds like a child, except that there's no way a child would refuse a present. What a strange thing to do.
You're right. He acts like a child.

He came out to Australia 5 years ago and hated it. All because he had no control.

My wife's mum is beautiful. She needs to move on

He sat down at the table " and I really wanted to unwrap it in front of him and explain how to use it.. ( it's a stylish holder for Nespresso caps), as a statement. But I'm holding back and doing my best to not get involved in family things.

For a man in his 50s I find it extremely embarrassing and I feel for my wife's mum who has been living with this guy.

Update.. he ate alone and went to bed without a word. It's 22.21 Xmas night and he hasn't said a word to anyone.

Could be any number of things. Without knowing the guy, and from only a brief description, it could very easily be a depression thing.

Especially with the "under the circumstances" comment. Now, I'm probably projecting from my own illness of 40+ years duration so be aware of that, but the circumstances may be the feeling of worthlessness that can come with the illness. And maybe guilt over relationship troubles mentioned. I find the four (depression, guilt, worthlessness, desperate want of complete isolation) go together and I can imagine it easily resulting in feeling not worthy of receiving gifts.

Sounds like he has plenty of baggage. Older generational men don't open up and could be missing something from his previous life.

Is he generally an a-hole or just this time of the year?

If he's generally a 'nice' guy, leave the present with your wife's mum and she can give it to him in a few days when this emotional time in his life has pased. If hes a campaigner 24/7 - just take it and sell it on gumtree or use it yourself.

He's a little baby having a little sulk.
Poke a bit of fun at him today.
Like, say, speak to him in baby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are hearing everything from your perspective and nothing from the old man's. Have you spoken to the Mother in law in regards to his behaviour and why it is such. Nobody here can give a fair response without being privy to more information. For many people, Christmas is a time of grief and solemn reflection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back