Personal Trainers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldnt personally bother with a PT. I dont need one.

All i can say is with the advent of the AIF there are some dodgy ones out there. Do your research into the person and there level of qualification rather than picking a picture from the wall.

In all seriousness though, unless you lack the motivation or the general in gym knowledge, lots can be achieved by doing some research from trusted exercise websites

EDIT: And the level of their qualification/experience should dictate what you pay. You get what you pay for.

I was a personal trainer and gym manager for 8 years. It got to the point where we refused to hire trainers that went to AIF.

We call them "feel good" trainers, in that they will give you a 30 minute work out that you "enjoy" and will make you want to come back, but it wont be all that effective at getting you any results.

A workout with an AIF trainer will go as follows -

0-5 mins - they get u to warm up on the bike for 5 mins
5-10 mins - stretch time
10-20 mins - 2 sets of leg press, 2 sets of chest press, 2 sets of abs
20- 30 mns - sit down shoulder massage and chat.

non AIF trainers will advise you to arrive 15 minutes before your session to do your warm up and stretching, so that the whole 30 mins is correctly utilized. There will also be no massage, unless you can show me papers that demonstrate the direct correlation between shoulder massages and weight loss...

PT at Finance First are the biggest tools you could imagine.

They teach and preach so many "interesting" techniques to total beginners that makes it totally nonsensical to someone wanting to train for the first time.

What about the adage of keeping it simple stupid.

Then to top it off they perform weird stretches on them almost to the point of literally snapping the tendons and ligaments.:rolleyes:

i'm a pt in melb and also know of some terrible spots to try and get yourself fit...unfortunatly the standards asre getting lower and lower from those 6 week courses to the point where client's hardly know the difference btw a good trainer and a bad trainer...that being said you need to get qualifired somewhere so do any of them, write the answers they want to hear, get your qual then start again with your own research

a good one can do very good things for you though but you have to implement it...i could tell you 5 things to do now but of you don't do them to the "T" then it's worthless

a bloke said earlier to do some research on their quals but my quals are barely any better then one of theose 6 week gems but my self education is more then 90% of the trainers out there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back