Opinion Peter Bell - Should get a raise?

summerthebat

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2007
Teenage Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely you can't actually believe that? Nobody (other than evidently total marks) believed, when Bell came out on a Friday with his due diligence stuff, that it was anything other than a negotiation tactic. And on the Monday everyone found out they were right and it was.

When footage of Hogan getting an ARC tour was on the news it wasn't Rosich showing him round was it? It was Belly. All their hands (Lyon, Bell, Rosich and the Board) are dirty with the Hogan deal. However only Bell and the Board are still here to point the finger at.

I don’t believe that Bell was against the idea of Hogan being recruited, I only said that he’s the only person on record, who at the time expressed concerns. That is undeniable. Whether or not that was a negotiating tactic or he was genuinely against the idea, he’s on record.

For what it’s worth, I think it was more likely a negotiation tactic... but I also have no doubt that at one point with Melbourne’s hard stance, that he deemed that it wasn’t worth pursuing.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm defiantly in favour of greater accountability but think Bell needs more time.

I think you're clutching if you think Bell was responsible for brining in Jesse. I'm judging Bell from 2019 onwards and I have seen pretty good trading and drafting periods inbetween and the appointment of a solid coach.

We received very good compensation for Brad Hill in the face of significant Melbourne media backlash during the trade period. I think our picks in the 2019 draft were very good and shrewd (even though we were f'^ked by Carlton for Henry).

I also think the appointment of Jlo looks good (tell me which other candidates were better suited). Justin has been very impressive for a inexperienced coach in trying circumstances - covid-19 interruptions, very long injury list etc. He's only a year and a half in but there have been good signs.

Bell overhauled the fitness and conditioning programme which many of you were calling for.

And I think getting rid of Jesse was a bold decision which is probably the right decision long term. Yes we might be a better team now with Jesse in it, but at what cost? We killed our culture during the period of 15-18 by brining-in selfish and unprofessional players for a quick fix. I think it was a bold decision to get rid and will be the right one long term.

I'm not saying Bell is the messiah. Far from it. But I've seen enough to give him more time.

Also why does the Board always get away from criticism????? They are the one that sign off on the biggest decisions. They signed off on Jesse. I'm not sure why Alcock and co are never in the firing line.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely no one on here thinks that the recruiting of Hogan and the trading of Hogan were both purely Bell’s decisions. Neither of those decisions would’ve been left to one person.
He's the Football manager so heavily involved in both decisions, but more importantly primarily responsible for being unable to manage him whilst he was here.
But I guess when you think it's all Hogan's fault, Bell looks competent

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
This does not deserve a reply and I’m actually really annoyed at myself that I just wasted two minutes confirming my post.

Rosich was sacked,

Bell was hired as the general manager football operations, he is now the executive general football manager. He has been promoted.
Ignore is your friend

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's the Football manager so heavily involved in both decisions, but more importantly primarily responsible for being unable to manage him whilst he was here.
But I guess when you think it's all Hogan's fault, Bell looks competent
Why is anyone else responsible for Hogan's behaviour but Hogan himself?

If Lance Franklin can crash his car into a row of parked ones and nobody asks too many questions then Hogan can do what he likes on the weekend and nobody will share a thing on social media, nobody is looking to air a story on high profile footballer there for some scandal at 6pm with cameras out the front of his house.

SandiHill

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can live with that. I wasn't upset with jesse leaving (based on his output at freo). I knew there was a risk of hogan rediscovering his form at gws. Its happened, i don't think that is a sack-able offense for a football manager.

Imo the real issue was getting jesse hogan in the first place. which was then compounded by him not performing at freo. (which i think is on jesse hogan)
Who else feels as though GWS care more about on field performance, and less concerned with what players get up to off field? Jesse is playing well but is he being held to the same standards off field as he was here at freo? I doubt it.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why is anyone else responsible for Hogan's behaviour but Hogan himself?
They're not. Hogan is responsible for his behaviour like Dustin Martin, Toby Greene, Jordan de Goey, Liam Ryan, Lance Franklin etc are all responsible for their behaviour. Bell is responsible for managing it without turning it into a dick swinging contest and throwing the baby out with the bathwater, like all his counterpart managers at the other clubs are

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
They're not. Hogan is responsible for his behaviour like Dustin Martin, Toby Greene, Jordan de Goey, Liam Ryan, Lance Franklin etc are all responsible for their behaviour. Bell is responsible for managing it without turning it into a dick swinging contest and throwing the baby out with the bathwater, like all his counterpart managers at the other clubs are

For me, the difference is that none of your examples are unprofessional or disrespectful enough to abuse sponsors and the footy manager at a club function while being heavily intoxicated after 3 years of trying to manage his behaviour which included multiple * ups.

Purpleheart_56

Team Captain
May 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Blaming Bell for recruiting Hogan is revisionist derangement.

Bell had been at the club for 21 days before Hogan was traded. Hogan had been rumoured to have been pursued by the club for the few years prior. Rosich was in charge of list management after Lloyd left. Bell was the only person at the club that had publicly stated Hogan was not wanted.

12 months later Rosich was subsequently sacked, Bell was promoted.
We should sack Rosich than...Or Susan...

Last edited:

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Perhaps ripping off the bandid was the best possible list management decision we could have made at the end of 2020?

Good organisations take risks, but fail quickly. If something isn't working you cut your losses and move on ASAP.

It's what we did with Sylvia and Anthony. And what we should have done with Bennell back in Feb 2018 or McCarthy at the end of 2019. Why should you waste time on someone who is so disrespectful to the rest of the club?

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nar wasn't, honestly.
I thought we were getting sold a pup, and said so at the time.
His foot issue worried me.
Second round pick and I would of been happier.
A better forward than Lobb, just.
Think we should of gone Lobb or Hogan not both at the same time.
Every time we have given a first rounder it has bitten us on our ass.
As I’ve said before a senior figure wouldn’t go astray.
Worked for Tigers. And now the Dees.
We seem very conservative, and I don’t see that swagger with any of our players, etc.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
The club is just way too top-heavy with young people. Yes youth means new energy and ideas but it lacks a lot of finer values.

Bell, Longmuir, Carr, Boyd, Hale - these guys were all players when I started at Uni which really wasn't that long ago. Combine that with a young and inexperienced playing list.

You just can't buy experience and the club as a whole is sorely lacking in it.

Back