Phantom Draft Peter Wallis - Top 10 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given that there may be some more pick swaps prior to draft night I have done an initial top 10 as I see it but will do a top 30 closer to draft night once the final selections are locked in.

1. ADELAIDE - Logan McDonald – PERTH
It will be down to 3, McDonald, Thilthorpe or Hollands. I believe they will not bid on Ugle-Hagan and take their own player at this pick. They probably need a KPF more than a midfielder and for that reason I expect they will take McDonald who is a standout in this position. Thilthorpe is also in the mix but McDonald is too good to pass up.

2. WESTERN BULLDOGS - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
North will likely make a bid here which the Bulldogs will match. Outstanding prospect that would be an automatic number 1 pick in an uncompromised draft.

3. NORTH MELBOURNE - Elijah Hollands - MURRAY BUSHRANGERS
Midfield is an area that North desperately need to strengthen and given that Hollands has been compared to Christian Petracca, he will be a perfect fit for the Roos.

4. SYDNEY - Denver Grainger-Barrass - SWAN DISTRICTS
A real toss up here between Grainger-Barass and Thilthorpe who are both talls but completely different players. After losing Aliir to Port and being low on quality defensive key position players I think they will go for the defender in this case.

5. HAWTHORN - Riley Thilthorpe - WEST ADELAIDE
Will also consider Will Phillips here but they are lacking in quality talls with Ceglar their main ruckman, McEvoy getting towards the end of his career & the jury still out on Lewis and O’Brien. Thilthorpe is capable of playing KPF & in the ruck & is an excellent kick which Clarkson loves.

6. SYDNEY - Braeden Campbell - SWANS ACADEMY
Gold Coast to bid on Campbell here which is where he probably sits talent wise in this draft. Quality midfielder who should fit seamlessly into the Swans midfield sooner rather than later and will add a touch of class to a blue collar midfield.

7. GOLD COAST - Will Phillips - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
Absolute steal for the Suns here. Was dominant last year in a midfield containing Rowell and Anderson & will help form possibly the best midfield in the competition in the next couple of years. Class act.

8. PORT ADELAIDE - Lachie Jones - WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS
No love lost between the Bombers and Port after the stand off over Fantasia so I reckon the Bombers will bid & force Port to pay a big price for Jones. Was a regular in the Eagles premiership team this year and could play as early as round 1 next season.

9. ESSENDON - Archie Perkins - SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS
Has shot up the rankings in the last few months and given his flexibility as a mid/forward combined with his 188cms, gives the Bombers a big body that they currently lack around the footy.

10. ESSENDON - Nik Cox - NORTHERN KNIGHTS
A few options here but given what Essendon have lost this year and with Hurley & Hooker in the twilight of their careers, a tall athletic utility would be a perfect fit for the Bombers.
Will take some time to develop but should be given every opportunity to do so.

Yep, all indications are we will go Hollands if available

Which honestly surprises me a bit. You guys lost Brown, but next year gain Cunnington back. Cunners, Simpkin, Anderson, Dumont and LDU is a solid enough midfield group to compete but you tall stocks up forward are dire now. I'd be surprised to see North pass on Thillthorpe or McDonald if both are still on the board.

Which honestly surprises me a bit. You guys lost Brown, but next year gain Cunnington back. Cunners, Simpkin, Anderson, Dumont and LDU is a solid enough midfield group to compete but you tall stocks up forward are dire now. I'd be surprised to see North pass on Thillthorpe or McDonald if both are still on the board.
Clayton as list manager ,I'm not surprised.

Doubt Cunners comes back as a full time mid. He'll play lots forward I reckon.

I know the club is very keen on Charlie Comben who we drafted as a KPF last year to partner Larkey up forward. Xerri has played there too.

What we need is game breaking class, Hollands has that. As you say, it is a solid emerging/mid range midfield unit. Needs more high end class.

I wouldn't be surprised if Will Philips is called there either. But Hollands the most likely.

The list still needs classy mids and leg speed. The club rates Comben very highly and we are keen on Cox. I would be gun-shy too on a picking an KPF that early in the draft due to a very sketchy recent history with very early KPF’s. McDonald has also has question marks on his athleticism and leg speed.

However, I wouldn’t be disappointed by picking up any of the top 5-6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back