Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Bruce is one lucky dog then. Good for you. We did love our time with the greyhounds. We had a few hens and roosters and they'd walk right past the greyhounds and they'd just look at them. We had a Lab too and if he didn't move the hens and roosters used to walk straight over him.

Even though it's a really callous and cruel sport, the people who train the greyhounds seem to have a real knack with them. It may have something to do with the daily handling, the walks, the grooming and maybe the daily routine.

I sometimes wonder whether it should be illegal to breed dogs, cats and horses without a permit. There's too many unwanted animals and not enough animal lovers to rescue them all.

Bruce is as lucky as I am to have him mate. Just a brilliant animal, and Ive grown up with all sorts of breeds.

Sounds like a little farm there, i'm envious. I am out of Hobart on a big suburban block with water everywhere but would love that, I not huge on fast city life.

It's a terrible "sport". I'd suggest that knack is the dogs are so amazing to do it regardless rather than the owners.

I am still campaigning to have the Greyhound industry stopped. I work in Law as you know and whilst they will take no notice of me as per usual, I assure you I will raise an effort.

Of course it should be illegal to breed as you say. Never happen though as Govt/Councils love the free charges and do nothing to control it.

Last edited:
Bruce is as lucky as I am to have him mate. Just a brilliant animal, and Ive grown up with all sorts of breeds.

Sounds like a little farm there, i'm envious. I am out of Hobart on a big suburban block with water everywhere but would love that, I hate city life.

It's a terrible "sport". I'd suggest that knack is the dogs are so amazing to do it regardless rather than the owners.

I am still campaigning to have the Greyhound industry stopped. I work in Law as you know and whilst they will take no notice of me as per usual, I assure you I will raise an effort.

Of course it should be illegal to breed as you say. Never happen tough as Councils love the free charges and do nothing to control it.

There's too many thoroughbred and standard bred racehorses too mate. They're just disposable commodities.

Good luck with your campaign. The industry is its own worst enemy so keep it going. Isn't there an enquiry into the NSW industry at present?

There's too many thoroughbred and standard bred racehorses too mate. They're just disposable commodities.

Good luck with your campaign. The industry is its own worst enemy so keep it going. Isn't there an enquiry into the NSW industry at present?

Thank you mate. I want the Greyhound industry stopped. The $$ are too high to make it happen now and yes there are enquiries in multiple States.

Its 30+ years away but I want the disgrace to stop.

Last edited:
12115598_1020309131366072_1222474255559764848_n.jpg

My parents Greyhound after dislocating his hip playing at Beach last weekend.

Joey on the mend but will take a fair while to get back to 100%.

Fangs out ther blackshadow.....ha. Archer just playing?

My two here today with a Great Dane, he is huge scaredy cat....ha. But dogs love it and this pic shows Ruby's perfect show quality Ridge

12003874_1021186221278363_345697997801824734_n.jpg

Last edited:
Fangs out ther blackshadow.....ha. Archer just playing?

My two here today with a Great Dane, he is huge scaredy cat....ha. But dogs love it and this pic shows Ruby's perfect show quality Ridge

12003874_1021186221278363_345697997801824734_n.jpg
Excellent and yes it was purely play. They're a pretty impressive set of teeth for a little guy. He's got a big dog attitude.

Excellent and yes it was purely play. They're a pretty impressive set of teeth for a little guy. He's got a big dog attitude.

AKA small dog syndrome?

Just a few pics from the Greyhound adoption Christmas function at Elwick racecourse last Sunday.

Had 47 Greys turn up, was fantastic as we are now up to near 200 adopted. Bruce is elder statesman being 9yo and at number 7....ha.

12308262_1045689525494699_1326973855030240923_n.jpg

12316406_1045689582161360_8275895959766428824_n.jpg

12294726_1045687762161542_2240542629536396724_n.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, never a dull moment with our pets it seems. Daughters' Shi-Tzu/Bichon cross Snowie was bitten on the lip by a Bee today and had a massive reaction, took her straight to the Vet who gave her the works including Adrenalin, Cortisone, Antihistamine and some other drugs, she was put on a drip for about an hour until she slowly started to recover (worst problem was a very week and slow heartbeat). Thankfully she is back home now (very tired and sleepy) and she will make a full recovery, but we need to be careful of Bees in future, which may be hard because she is only 18 months old and very inquisitive and playful.

A pic from a couple of weeks ago

20151120_105226.jpg

Wow, never a dull moment with our pets it seems. Daughters' Shi-Tzu/Bichon cross Snowie was bitten on the lip by a Bee today and had a massive reaction, took her straight to the Vet who gave her the works including Adrenalin, Cortisone, Antihistamine and some other drugs, she was put on a drip for about an hour until she slowly started to recover (worst problem was a very week and slow heartbeat). Thankfully she is back home now (very tired and sleepy) and she will make a full recovery, but we need to be careful of Bees in future, which may be hard because she is only 18 months old and very inquisitive and playful.

View attachment 202260
She is beautiful, Baz . I wonder if that is an unusual thing for dogs to be allergic to bees?

Apparently it's not uncommon at all and can happen to any dog at any time, especially if they have been bitten before. She is still very lethargic this afternoon, but heaps better than a few hours ago. She has been a very important part of our daughter's life during some very difficult times.

Not unusual. Not uncommon for pets to have versions of hayfever either.
I guess they can at that , Nate
Apparently it's not uncommon at all and can happen to any dog at any time, especially if they have been bitten before. She is still very lethargic this afternoon, but heaps better than a few hours ago. She has been a very important part of our daughter's life during some very difficult times.
Of course, If I had thought about it . But as usual , I just do every thing in a hurry and didn't think before I posted. Why wouldn't they be allergic to any thing we are ? I can imagine how important she is , Baz. Dogs do become that for us, don't they ?

I guess they can at that , Nate

Of course, If I had thought about it . But as usual , I just do every thing in a hurry and didn't think before I posted. Why wouldn't they be allergic to any thing we are ? I can imagine how important she is , Baz. Dogs do become that for us, don't they ?
Nah, not a matter of not thinking about it at all, I only knew because I asked the Vet.

View attachment 202260
Glad she's okay.

Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to this little guy this morning. Only 9 months old. Used a different breeder than we did last time and both our boy and my partner and I suffered for it. They lied about the family history and it turns out his mum had neurological issues. We got in contact with his brother some time ago and he is having difficulties too. About a month ago he started to develop neck pain which has been managed with anti-inflammatories. On Sunday he had an episode that had he crying out in pain for 15-20 seconds (all he was doing was lying on the couch). He refused to move. It was terrible and we didn't know what to do. We rushed him to an emergency vet. On Monday he had an MRI and our fears were confirmed he had Chiari-like malformation. To make matters worse he also had an atlanto-axial supluxation of his spine. The prognosis wasn't great but he was responding well to steroids and he was in high spirits when we visited him yesterday. Unfortunately, he took a turn for the worse overnight and lost the use of his legs. After emailing his paperwork to ~50 different neurologists across Australia, United States, and England they all agreed that the outlook was not good. Hats off to all of them. I don't work in the industry, but 48 of them got back to me (including international board members). I've always said dog lovers are the best kind of people and that really hit home for me after the act of kindness from all of those strangers.This morning when we went to visit we knew what the right decision was.

The vets were great. They let us take in his favourite food (steak and a little bit of chocolate) - we never gave him chocolate, but he's always been obsessed with the smell of kit kats. Watching him go was one of the hardest things I've ever seen. It's very hard seeing our other dog walking around the house searching for him. They were best friends, despite trying to steal his food every time (we had to get him a slo-bowl because he'd finish dinner in 10 secs). I think we will have to get another dog soon just so he isn't alone again.

We used a different breeder than we did last time. Our boy, my partner, and I suffered for it. They lied about the family history and it turns out his mum has neurological issues. We got in contact with his brother some time ago and he is having difficulties too. We also found out that the council took away some of her dogs because she had harmed them. We have been refunded our money and will be looking to have her breeders licence ripped up. A person like that should not be able to breed such loving animals. We have spoken to our original breeder and the other lady had tried to find a partner for our dogs mum...so yes, she was looking to breed a dog with neurological problems again just for financial gain.

Our original breeder has also offered up a puppy free of charge when we are ready.

Rest in peace little guy. Taken far too soon.

small.jpg

Very sorry to hear War Machine. RIP.

My dogs are family as my daughter is only part time, and to go that early is very upsetting.

Very poor form by the breeder and I hope you do take up that offer of a free puppy from original breeder as I way to move on a tad easier.... :thumbsu:

RIP pup, sounds like your short life was lived with a great dog loving family. Sorry for your loss WM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back