Club History Photo's or video from 1976 NFL Wills Cup game vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a huge premiership hangover in 1978. Max James moved to South Melbourne, Randall Gerlach retired, John Spry's knees were shot. We made a big play for Bernie Quinlan who couldn't get a clearance to Fitzroy but missed out. Eventually recruited Milan Faletic on the old 30 June deadline.

After Sturt beat us by 70 we finished the minor round in a rush winning the last 6 on the trot knocking over Glenelg and Norwood.

We played the Kerley coached Torrens in the elimination final and beat them by 13 goals. They had beaten us easily a few weeks earlier on their run to the finals. Then we rolled Glenelg in the first semi with a 7 goal last quarter. Made a big run at Norwood early in the last quarter of the prelim final but a couple of shoddy umpiring calls saw us fall away and lose by 5 goals.
Russell played one of the best quarters of all time in that final against the bays.
Was in full GOD mode.

That game against Footscray was the first time Maggie's players wore black lines under their eyes to deflect glare, and we may have even been the first Aussie rules club to do that.
I believe Jack Cahill said he got the idea from American football.

I remember Russell Ebert put on a clinic from about the 5 minute mark of the first qtr and the dogs had no-one who could stop him. :thumbsu:

I also remember Alex Rance's father trying some pseudo tough guy BS early in the game and biting off a lot more than he could chew. ;)
Back in those days if you took on one Port player, you took on the lot, particularly if you thought you could get away with roughing up a smaller bloke. :thumbsu:

Russell played one of the best quarters of all time in that final against the bays.
Was in full GOD mode.

And that was a sight to behold.

That game against Footscray was the first time Maggie's players wore black lines under their eyes to deflect glare, and we may have even been the first Aussie rules club to do that.
I believe Jack Cahill said he got the idea from American football.

I remember Russell Ebert put on a clinic from about the 5 minute mark of the first qtr and the dogs had no-one who could stop him. :thumbsu:

I also remember Alex Rance's father trying some pseudo tough guy BS early in the game and biting off a lot more than he could chew. ;)
Back in those days if you took on one Port player, you took on the lot, particularly if you thought you could get away with roughing up a smaller bloke. :thumbsu:
I dont think Murray Rance played for Footscray until mid 80s??

I dont think Murray Rance played for Footscray until mid 80s??

You may very well be correct GP but I was sure Rance senior played in defence for Footscray in that game, I will see what I can find out.
I also have recollections of him coming from WA with a big reputation and didn't live up to it.

You are correct GP :thumbsu:, Murray Rance played 40 games for the doggies in the mid 1980's, it must have been another West Aussie defender who played in that 1976 game against the Maggies that I got him confused with.

The only WA recruit that I can recall playing for the Doggies at that time was Peter Featherby

Remove this Banner Ad

Back