Toast Pick #78 - Welcome to Carlton Jarrod Garlett!

Remove this Banner Ad

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2017/11/29/afl/

Young speedster Jarrod Garlett hopes a more settled environment at Carlton is what he needs to revive his AFL career after two turbulent years on the Gold Coast.

He was released from his contract at the end of 2016 on compassionate grounds after his brother Desmond suffered a burst blood vessel on his brain and was given months to live.
Desmond later returned to health and Garlett’s form in the WAFL led to talks with Carlton, who had been watching him with keen interest for some time.

Haha Garlett inadvertently insulting the way GC treats and develops it's youngsters...but we all already knew that.

Says he is way more settled here at Carlton than he was at GC...part is just that he's older and it's second time, but also said he gets way more support at Carlton than he ever got at GC and said at GC he was 'bouncing around', I think in reference to his living arrangements and possibly the coaches closest to him.

Haha Garlett inadvertently insulting the way GC treats and develops it's youngsters...but we all already knew that.

Says he is way more settled here at Carlton than he was at GC...part is just that he's older and it's second time, but also said he gets way more support at Carlton than he ever got at GC and said at GC he was 'bouncing around', I think in reference to his living arrangements and possibly the coaches closest to him.

Was interested to hear that. Also noted the media did pry it out of him and someone so assume from Carlton moved them on to the next topic straight after the question.

Is not surprising but not great to get into.

Cue BigFooty conspiracies about draft tampering.
We joke about SOS and his stealth mode on here. Obviously there's a bit of truth to it once they identify a low profile target.

Garlett could be a huge recruit for the Blues if they can fully nurture his talent. I can't believe the other recruitment managers didn't make more of an effort to lure him to their clubs.

I was also interested to hear that LOB knew he would be coming to Carlton unless Hunter Clark made it through to pick 10. Dow also knew that Carlton would take him if he reached their pick. There's a real air of competency and confidence about the way SOS's team conducts it's business.

Last edited:
We joke about SOS and his stealth mode on here. Obviously there's a bit of truth to it once they identify a low profile target.

Garlett could be a huge recruit for the Blues if they can fully nuture his talent. I can't believe the other recruitment managers didn't make more of an effort to lure him to their clubs.

I was also interested to hear that LOB knew he would be coming to Carlton unless Hunter Clark made it through to pick 10. Dow also knew that Carlton would take him if he reached their pick. There's a real air of competency and confidence about the way SOS's team conducts it's business.

Yeah and these guys want to come to us because we put in the work prior to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything about this just feels right. SOS made contact really early so we know this isn't just a bit of 'flash in the pan' interest. JG looks in seriously good nick which is a reasonable indication he's serious as he's had to keep it all up while playing in a lower level, not to mention everything he went through with his brother. He speaks well and appears to be saying all the right things; happy to play anywhere from back flank to wing/outside mid to up forward around goals, seems to exude some maturing and confidence, mentioned he's already being instructed to back himself, seems to be much happier and more comfortable in the CFC environment, and I get the gist that he's really buying into the fact that he's got himself a second chance and he'll make sure he doesn't die wondering.

The prospect of having a crop of young, damaging outside mids (or bursting out) with real pace who can hit the scoreboard is genuinely exciting. Garlett, Pickett, Lang and O'Brien... then you've got others like SPS, Cuningham, Fisher and Polson... I'm liking what's taking shape.

I know it's done everywhere, but not comfortable with his comment that he was asked to keep things a bit quiet... don't want an investigation into draft tampering.

All he said was he was asked to keep our interest quiet. If we asked him to tank his form that's where eyebrows will be raised.

I know it's done everywhere, but not comfortable with his comment that he was asked to keep things a bit quiet... don't want an investigation into draft tampering.

The AFL and the AFL Media don’t have a problem with a football club injecting their player with all sorts of illegal and unidentifiable substances.

But don’t you dare tamper with the draft or heaven forbid pay $1 over the salary cap - unless you are Essendon* of course, where the “AFL Memorial Rotten Ron Evans special dispensation rules” apply.

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back