Pick the top 10 players of all time from the 'Big 4' states of Australian Rules-Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia & Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

If looking at players in the AFL and last 20 years possibly. Greatest from SA of all time, not even top 20.

Yes he is. He dominated the competition in a professional era where we had some of the greatest key defenders of all time.

Certainly a lot more versatile, dynamic and consistent than certain blokes from the late 70's - 80's.

His only blemish is never winning a premiership but Pavlich carried a team which was inferior in talent to challenger's at the time.

I think he's the equal of Nick Riewoldt and arguably Fremantle's greatest player.

Yes he is. He dominated the competition in a professional era where we had some of the greatest key defenders of all time.

Certainly a lot more versatile, dynamic and consistent than certain blokes from the late 70's - 80's.

His only blemish is never winning a premiership but Pavlich carried a team which was inferior in talent to challenger's at the time.

I think he's the equal of Nick Riewoldt and arguably Fremantle's greatest player.
SA produced a lot of talent through the 70s and 80s into the 90s. I agree that if judging purely on AFL players over the last 20 years a case could be made for Pavlich to be included in the top 10 and if he isn't top 10 he'd definitely be top 20.

In no particular order players that could be considered for top 10 / 20 in SA of all time

John Platten
Peter Carey
Craig Bradley
Stephen Kernahan
Tyson Edwards
Nathan Buckley
Russell Ebert
Lindsay Head
Ken Farmer
Mark Riccuito
Adam Goodes
Rick Davies
Paul Bagshaw
Geoff Motley
Barrie Robran
Gavin Wanganeen
Darren Jarmen
Greg Anderson
Michael O'Loughlin
Tony Modra
Chris McDermott
Lachie Neale
Scott Hodges
Neil Kerley
Garry McIntosh
Michael Aish
Mark Naley
Neil Button
Malcolm Blight
Eddie Betts

Pavlich was a fantastic player and easily top 3 in Fremantle's best ever. He's just not in the best 10 from SA. I'd easily have at least 20 of these names on a list ahead of Pavlich. Probably even some I've missed as this is just a list done with dad and uncle's around a table from our memories.

Victoria

Ablett snr
Ablett jnr
Matthews
Lockett
Judd
Silvagni
Skilton
Martin
Goodes
Bunton
Voss