Picola & District FL SE 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dookie also played Goorambat on a weekday. with the current rankings would Dookie play them again? NO
What has Goorambat got to do with it ?
I think you've somewhat either instantly put the old 'oh no something new ' barrier up or you are not aware of alot of detail .
The game last season and I would assume in future would occur on the weekend before the season starts , when cricket is finished .
Likewise it was and is proposed to occur at 1 or 2 central locations .
It was initial proposed on the back of a number of clubs playing sides from the other division and a number of players recommending it , being proposed to all clubs and all clubs unanimously supporting it .
The 4 competing clubs this season were Yarroweyah , Mathoura, Dookie and Waaia who played in the Barooga night Series grand final the night before and who fully supported the concept .
Gate admission was gold coin donation which is to be held to assist members of the league who may fall on unfortunate times whether that be injury or illness .
There is more to sport than win win and win .

I agree with you copezz, every team has a different pre-season plan in place. organising grounds & players that best suit both parties would be a problem. I no shepp east and dookie both played mid-week games last year as cricket was taking up players. Would they want to travel 100plus kms mid-week NO.

I think this is how the ladders match up if they were ranked that way there would be a lot of travel for most clubs.
Kms are just a rough amount.

Jerilderie Vs Tungamah 130kms
Strathy Vs Waiia 35kms
Berrigan Vs Shepp East 130kms
Deni Vs Dookie 150kms
Blighty Vs Rennie 90kms
Picola Vs Katty 70kms
Mathoura Vs Katunga 100kms
Yarroweyah Vs Katandra 45kms (Plus if a Katandra put 20-30k in there budget and Yarroweyah didn't that would be a waste for both clubs)
I couldn't see anyone traveling 100km+ for a practise match on a weekend let alone a week day! To many cricketers! And country footy crowds are depleting as it is. I think we would find less then 50 people there on the day! Trainers? Umpires? I just don't see it working! We get less umpires than the lower ranked KDFL during the SEASON!

What has Goorambat got to do with it ?
I think you've somewhat either instantly put the old 'oh no something new ' barrier up or you are not aware of alot of detail .
The game last season and I would assume in future would occur on the weekend before the season starts , when cricket is finished .
Likewise it was and is proposed to occur at 1 or 2 central locations .
It was initial proposed on the back of a number of clubs playing sides from the other division and a number of players recommending it , being proposed to all clubs and all clubs unanimously supporting it .
The 4 competing clubs this season were Yarroweyah , Mathoura, Dookie and Waaia who played in the Barooga night Series grand final the night before and who fully supported the concept .
Gate admission was gold coin donation which is to be held to assist members of the league who may fall on unfortunate times whether that be injury or illness .
There is more to sport than win win and win .
Don't try twist the "more to sport" crap on us in a football forum! There is better ways to help charity's than a practise match.... Heck Get a South East Netballers Vs North West Netballers in a footy match! I bet you'll raise more money than all practice matches put together!

Don't try twist the "more to sport" crap on us in a football forum! There is better ways to help charity's than a practise match.... Heck Get a South East Netballers Vs North West Netballers in a footy match! I bet you'll raise more money than all practice matches put together!
You do realise the netballers played as part of the practice match format .
Happy to hear your thoughts on better ways of raising money for charity as you say .

Didn't no any details except what was on here.

Questions now.............

will there be 2nds, 3rds, 4ths involved in this concept
will the league set the games on 2013 ladder positions or wait until they see what clubs have recruited or lost as team rankings will change due to clubs recruiting or not during the off season
if 2 sides play at a central venue as both have to travel to far Who gets the profits from the BBQs, Canteen's, Bars the hosting clubs or the league for the charities or what ever they need the coin for?

What could the league do if clubs just decided not to be involved would it be compulsory?

Congratulations to Tim Few (Katunga) 250 1st XVIII games and Aram Aldridge (Katamatite) 200 1st XVIII games. Both loyal servants of there respective clubs!

il have a stab at premiers n leage medalist. tungamah to take the flag n matt mcarty for the medal

il have a stab at premiers n leage medalist. tungamah to take the flag n matt mcarty for the medal
I think Waaia for flag & as I've also said all along I too think Mower McCarty will win the medal. But it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if someone from the sides 3rd-6th took home the medal? Like a Frapple (SE) Patty Mac (Dooks) Lewis (Rennie) or Taylor or Saunders (Katty) ala Doyle from Tunga last year when they finished 4th??

I think Waaia for flag & as I've also said all along I too think Mower McCarty will win the medal. But it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if someone from the sides 3rd-6th took home the medal? Like a Frapple (SE) Patty Mac (Dooks) Lewis (Rennie) or Taylor or Saunders (Katty) ala Doyle from Tunga last year when they finished 4th??

Tunga into MacMullan

Terrific grand final day , great crowd and well hosted by Rennie , some good weather and good footy made for a good day . It was also good to see a half time sprint .
Good senior game with Waaia in it right to the end , goal post falling over during the 3rd added to the excitement of the day .
Tunga to good in the end and obviously were deserving after a very solid season .

Does anybody know where the actual vote count for the league medal can be accessed? Can't seem to find this anywhere...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the impending decision on whether Tocumwal will be accepted into the picola league nth wst Div (essentially a relegation) and rumours of at least one other MFL club discussing it options is it time to revisit the discussion as to whether a 3 tier Murray/Picola league should be considered.

Reaons for:
1 Essentially both leagues cover the same geographical area.
2 It would give Struggling/Dominant clubs in either division 1 or 2 a more streamlined process in which to move up/down a level, whilst giving the the clubs the struggle the most to compete the best chance of doing so in div 3

1. Below I have quickly put together an example of a possible initial set up, based on clubs ave finishing position (H&A) over the past 5 years, taking into account some other information such as demographics. This just an example there are many methods to work out it would look initially

2.Promotion/Relegation could be done by the folling methods
  • promotion relegation to happen automatically (based on yearly, bi-yearly or tri-yearly ave finishing postions)
  • Or by application/agreement to the league co-signed by a club in each division each wishing to promote/Relegate themselves (essentially a swap)

Division 1
Mulwala
Cobram
Deni
Moama
Finley
Echuca
Numurkah
Barooga
Congupna
Tongala

Division 2
Nathalia
Rumba
Toc
Shepp East
Tungamah
Rennie
Dookie
Waaia
Jerrilderie
Berrigan

Division 3
Strathy
Deni
Katty
Mathoura
Katunga
Blighty
Katandra
Yarroweyah
Picola

Thoughts?

With the impending decision on whether Tocumwal will be accepted into the picola league nth wst Div (essentially a relegation) and rumours of at least one other MFL club discussing it options is it time to revisit the discussion as to whether a 3 tier Murray/Picola league should be considered.

Reaons for:
1 Essentially both leagues cover the same geographical area.
2 It would give Struggling/Dominant clubs in either division 1 or 2 a more streamlined process in which to move up/down a level, whilst giving the the clubs the struggle the most to compete the best chance of doing so in div 3

1. Below I have quickly put together an example of a possible initial set up, based on clubs ave finishing position (H&A) over the past 5 years, taking into account some other information such as demographics. This just an example there are many methods to work out it would look initially

2.Promotion/Relegation could be done by the folling methods
  • promotion relegation to happen automatically (based on yearly, bi-yearly or tri-yearly ave finishing postions)
  • Or by application/agreement to the league co-signed by a club in each division each wishing to promote/Relegate themselves (essentially a swap)

Division 1
Mulwala
Cobram
Deni
Moama
Finley
Echuca
Numurkah
Barooga
Congupna
Tongala

Division 2
Nathalia
Rumba
Toc
Shepp East
Tungamah
Rennie
Dookie
Waaia
Jerrilderie
Berrigan

Division 3
Strathy
Deni
Katty
Mathoura
Katunga
Blighty
Katandra
Yarroweyah
Picola

Thoughts?
Yarroweyah and Mathoura who finished 7th and 8th in the NW in 2013 finished 1st and 2nd in 2010, whilst I would suggest Katandra would be the most successful PDFNL club over the past 20 years , which indicates to me all clubs have the ability to compete .
Making it so all clubs can sustain that is what is important and should be the highest priority of THE LEAGUE .
The league still has some work to do continue to promote itself as the preferred option for players in the area .
The need to play MAJOR LEAGUE to gain greater opportunities is gone .
Through Rhys McCulloch (Sturt ) , Jack Yelland ( Coburg ) , Lachie Howe ( Geelong ) , Thomas Clurey ( Port Adelaide ) various elite junior reps including at state level and the possibility of another AFL draftee this year .
I have no doubt what so ever that there are things ( which shouldn't be discussed upon here ) THE LEAGUE can and should do to ensure ALL clubs are able to maintain and sustain competiveness at similar levels to what the higher placed senior sides achieved this year .
Relegation and delegation is generally based on one grade of one sport .
IIRC the PDFNL is 4 football grades and 7 netball grades , so therefore it is quite likely 10 of the 11 of a clubs sides would be would be disadvantaged by relegation / delegation .
IIRC 7 of the 8 clubs where represented within 2013 NW GF's , whilst Katandra who went through 2013 winless at senior level had 6 of 7 netball sides within the GF.
Success at senior level takes alot of recruitment time , whilst administration of clubs takes up a huge amount of time . Some clubs from time to time struggle with support staff and as a result time available to spend on recruiting is limited and those helping within clubs become worn out very quickly .
Stagnating and standing in the one position makes affiliates of a league ripe for the picking which unfortunately has happened for to long .
A quick look at populations show Tungamah is the smallest town within the PDFNL whilst Deni the largest .
Tunga won the SE 2013 senior flag whilst Deni has never won a senior flag .

Yarroweyah and Mathoura who finished 7th and 8th in the NW in 2013 finished 1st and 2nd in 2010, whilst I would suggest Katandra would be the most successful PDFNL club over the past 20 years , which indicates to me all clubs have the ability to compete .
Making it so all clubs can sustain that is what is important and should be the highest priority of THE LEAGUE .
The league still has some work to do continue to promote itself as the preferred option for players in the area .
The need to play MAJOR LEAGUE to gain greater opportunities is gone .
Through Rhys McCulloch (Sturt ) , Jack Yelland ( Coburg ) , Lachie Howe ( Geelong ) , Thomas Clurey ( Port Adelaide ) various elite junior reps including at state level and the possibility of another AFL draftee this year .
I have no doubt what so ever that there are things ( which shouldn't be discussed upon here ) THE LEAGUE can and should do to ensure ALL clubs are able to maintain and sustain competiveness at similar levels to what the higher placed senior sides achieved this year .
Relegation and delegation is generally based on one grade of one sport .
IIRC the PDFNL is 4 football grades and 7 netball grades , so therefore it is quite likely 10 of the 11 of a clubs sides would be would be disadvantaged by relegation / delegation .
IIRC 7 of the 8 clubs where represented within 2013 NW GF's , whilst Katandra who went through 2013 winless at senior level had 6 of 7 netball sides within the GF.
Success at senior level takes alot of recruitment time , whilst administration of clubs takes up a huge amount of time . Some clubs from time to time struggle with support staff and as a result time available to spend on recruiting is limited and those helping within clubs become worn out very quickly .
Stagnating and standing in the one position makes affiliates of a league ripe for the picking which unfortunately has happened for to long .
A quick look at populations show Tungamah is the smallest town within the PDFNL whilst Deni the largest .
Tunga won the SE 2013 senior flag whilst Deni has never won a senior flag .

As I stated in the original post this was only a very quick example of one way to rank teams, i:e past 5 years ave finishing position in the H&A away season for the senior football grade. I used this as it was the easiest information to access in a short amount of time. I would actually prefer to use a champion club ranking type system that would rates clubs entire performance and use a larger sample time i:e 10 years. But as I said it was only an example. Its always easy to pick small examples and exceptions out of a concept like this however I believe the idea has some very strong merits. Particualy for the survival of the most vunerable clubs!!!

As I stated in the original post this was only a very quick example of one way to rank teams, i:e past 5 years ave finishing position in the H&A away season for the senior football grade. I used this as it was the easiest information to access in a short amount of time. I would actually prefer to use a champion club ranking type system that would rates clubs entire performance and use a larger sample time i:e 10 years. But as I said it was only an example. Its always easy to pick small examples and exceptions out of a concept like this however I believe the idea has some very strong merits. Particualy for the survival of the most vunerable clubs!!!
I like the idea and would give the new country footy administration something to earn their wages on.
Hard to believe when I played Murray League a tick over 20 years ago Barooga and Mulwala had just entered the league which then contained Strathy, Jerilderie and Berrigan but no Tongala, Congupna, Moama or Echuca.

With the recent acquisition of Tocumwal into the PDFL North West and the current situation over Benalla way. I believe it is time to move Waaia and Katunga into the NW to compete against their traditional rivals and attract Benalla All Blacks and the newly merged Benalla team in along with perhaps Tallygaroopna and Violet Town into the South East. Creating two leagues of 11 and 10 teams and helping reduce the large numbers in the KDFL and OKFL. It will go a part of the way of filling the geographical void left by the Tungamah and Benalla Leagues.

With the recent acquisition of Tocumwal into the PDFL North West and the current situation over Benalla way. I believe it is time to move Waaia and Katunga into the NW to compete against their traditional rivals and attract Benalla All Blacks and the newly merged Benalla team in along with perhaps Tallygaroopna and Violet Town into the South East. Creating two leagues of 11 and 10 teams and helping reduce the large numbers in the KDFL and OKFL. It will go a part of the way of filling the geographical void left by the Tungamah and Benalla Leagues.

So why couldn't the All blacks and newly merged side go in the Kdfl and split into two like the Pdfl version? Instead of messing with the Pdfl that people seem to be happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back