Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't a) wait for a suitable ball to be developed, or b) alter the overs before new balls are taken?

People scream tradition with regard to new balls but that argument doesn't seem to apply when making the ball pink or playing at night...

I think the pendulum has swung too far to the batters side but I don't want the compensation to be this. I want it to be lively pitches and good bowling.

Last edited:
I'm interested in how much the balance is swung one way or the other at night if anyone knows.

SA seemed to get a bunch of wickets at night and Starc and co certainly did, so is it better to bowl at night? Or is it just too early to tell?
nah, the Redbacks are just that crap

Give it two years before we judge the concept
We've given it quite a few years at Shield level, and so far Kookaburra have had to change the ball every year because every year it has failed.

Get it working in non-competition games (tour matches, "A" team games, etc) then the Shield and then Tests. Once the technical side is proven, I'm all for giving it a run - at suitable venues.

Until then, its a needless risk.

This. I'm all for changing things up in a good way, and people are complaining about the ball not lasting. So I'm curious to know, why does the pink ball need to compare exactly to the red ball? Where does the 80 rule originate from? If a lacquered ball has the same characteristics but a shortened lifespan then why can't the new ball rule be altered?
Well it's like this..... A red ball is dyed red, the dye takes to the leather. But pink or orange or whatever does not. White pink and orange balls are all painted. Painted balls are harder but once they get hit around the paint comes off - they take on the green / grey of the grass / Pitch and they soften more quickly. Fundamentally the balls are different and they behave differently. Why change a ball after 80 overs - it over time has proved to be the optimum time that allows both parties a fair opportunity to prosper. We have this thing called test cricket which has 140 years of tradition and statistics all played with a ball that is red and round - now - because some sausage jockeys think it's a good idea - we are throwing it out and introducing what can only be described as a gimmick.

How do I know this? Well as I type I'm at the MCG watching the strongest domestic first class competition in the world and the said gimmick on a beautiful spring evening with less than 100 other folks.

There was a great test payed in Dubai a few days ago that finished with only 6.3 overs to go on Day 5 - possibly less than <500 saw it live - but millions watched via TV.
Crowds are gone forever - so why * up 140 years of tradition for a gimmick?

I think most reasonable people would have been fine with CA giving this concept a 2 year examination at domestic level and if all major issues were worked out then going ahead with a test match but the domestic testing was a joke as they were going ahead with the match this summer vs nz no matter how terribly the domestic testing went.

They and nine just fell in love with the basic idea of the night test and they aren't going to let negative facts from the trials, a vital test series or player safety get in the way of the concept.
It's not like Sutherland to chase the $$$ and tell everyone else to get stuffed, there must be some other explanation :drunk:

It wasn't that long ago that a new ball was due after 85 overs, so there is a precedent for changing it.

They might as well go the whole hog and play with coloured clothes and a white ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't that long ago that a new ball was due after 85 overs, so there is a precedent for changing it.

They might as well go the whole hog and play with coloured clothes and a white ball.
Yep and just turn into a 20 over thing while we're at it cos 5 days is way too long

Yep and just turn into a 20 over thing while we're at it cos 5 days is way too long
No doubt the day will come when tests are reduced to four days and the boundaries will be brought in to about 40 metres.

Why they can't leave things alone is beyond me.

It's frustrating people like CA and nine think the way to save tests is gimmicks like this match, if they bothered to listen to the fans they would see that things like dead pitch after dead pitch for so many home summers are a far bigger risk to the sport than what time the damn game is on tv.

Yes they're is too much fear of three day tests hence they make dead pitches.

If they want to change anything, this may be sacrilege, but perhaps give the Duke a go in Australia?

They just don't care do they?

Let us hope the Adelaide Test is an abysmal failure.
Why? It could be a great reviver for Test cricket. As long as they can sort out the ball so it's not too big an advantage bowling at night, bring it on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back