Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? It could be a great reviver for Test cricket. As long as they can sort out the ball so it's not too big an advantage bowling at night, bring it on.
Yeah, but the issue is sorting out the ball, and it doesn't appear that has been done yet.

Why? It could be a great reviver for Test cricket. As long as they can sort out the ball so it's not too big an advantage bowling at night, bring it on.
I'm confused as to why we need to revive Test Cricket. The games are still being played. Millions are watching via TV which is the way we have herded people to do so. I can't see many more watching if it's on at 7-10pm at night via either attendance or TV. So why torch 140 years of history for a gimmick that the benefits of which are unclear or at best contrived?

Yeah, but the issue is sorting out the ball, and it doesn't appear that has been done yet.
I agree. But comments like "let's hope it fails" strike me as bizarrely negative.

I'm confused as to why we need to revive Test Cricket. The games are still being played. Millions are watching via TV which is the way we have herded people to do so. I can't see many more watching if it's on at 7-10pm at night via either attendance or TV. So why torch 140 years of history for a gimmick that the benefits of which are unclear or at best contrived?
By that logic friday night football would never have come to be.

Just leave the idea of day-night test cricket until we have a bowl that they developers believe will work, test it out in games such as the shield and if it works, bring it to the test match stage.

India and England are the only countries we can afford to play in anything greater than a 3 test series now.

Our series against several countries are being trimmed down to two test matches or we don't play them for years and years. And we're one of the few countries where test cricket is still popular.

You can't see many more watching if it's on at 7-10pm instead of during the day? Are you serious?

The tv ratings from one day cricket currently bankrolls test cricket. That needs to change. It was great being able to head down to Adelaide Oval after work to watch the shield game recently. It was shame that there was such a gulf in class between NSW and SA. Made it difficult to judge the concept. From what I have observed SA is equally poor at day or night and with a red or pink ball.

Batting under lights was initially seen as a massive disadvantage in one day cricket. Over time people got used to the white ball under lights.

Any time there is anything new proposed there is mass hysteria about how the game will be ruined.

I don't agree with that analogy

Agreed. There is no need to change test cricket, period. What we need to do is make sure that 2 of the 5 days in every test are played on the weekend. That has been such a factor in recent times. We have tests finishing on Saturday half the time...

It's going to work. Players are used to playing at night and the lights are so bright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to work. Players are used to playing at night and the lights are so bright.

Pity the ball is trash and it looks like a used cork ball after 60 overs...

Can't wait till this fails

Heard Sutherland on ABC radio saying that it wasn't a personal crusade and he is just looking at alternatives for the long term survival of test cricket. What a load of crap, it is driven by his desire to maximise tv ratings value for test cricket. Cricket Australia have tried this sort of crap before when they played an ODI on Boxing Day in the mid 80s, a one year experiment that failed and they then saw some sense

He'd do a lot better to make sure that the show piece test in Australia on Boxing Day has a competitive opponent and get rid of Sutherland and CEO.

IMHO, Cricket Australia's logic is flawed. If Test Cricket is "failing", how does it help to get it into prime time television? A rubbish product is a rubbish product, no matter when you try and broadcast it. Granted, getting Test matches on to prime time might allow them to squeeze out a bit more money for the broadcast rights... but it will be temporary. I mean, you could schedule lawn bowls during prime time, but channel 9 won't pay for the rights because it won't rate.

Cricket Australia really need address the root cause of the problem.

By that logic friday night football would never have come to be.

Didn't really give much thought to that argument did you? Before night football came into being for premiership points, we saw years of night competitions, development of the standard of the balls, players usually practiced at night, etc. None of that has happened here, it's just been a case of, we've got lights, here's the pink ball, now let's get on with it.

A batsman getting out because he can't see the ball, or a fieldsman dropping a dolly for the same reason are a lot more serious than someone dropping a mark. I remember playing night footy in the 70s when the ball was lacquered white and were so hard they could break your fingers. No way they could have played football for premiership points with those balls, so why make Test cricketers face a near green ball in failing light? It just doesn't make sense.

They will never sort out the ball, because it will always be painted, and a painted ball will never hold up.

The best way to get more people watching Test cricket is to make the matches better. The India Test series last year was an atrocity for cricket, and the only have themselves to blame for turning out that absolute garbage.

I don't see why Test cricket needs to be a massive money spinner anyway. If the other forms of the game earn enough money as it is, then that's good enough. Sports organisations exist for to create the best versions of that sport, not to make the most money they can out of that sport. Unfortunately many of them are losing track of this.

Didn't really give much thought to that argument did you? Before night football came into being for premiership points, we saw years of night competitions, development of the standard of the balls, players usually practiced at night, etc. None of that has happened here, it's just been a case of, we've got lights, here's the pink ball, now let's get on with it.

A batsman getting out because he can't see the ball, or a fieldsman dropping a dolly for the same reason are a lot more serious than someone dropping a mark. I remember playing night footy in the 70s when the ball was lacquered white and were so hard they could break your fingers. No way they could have played football for premiership points with those balls, so why make Test cricketers face a near green ball in failing light? It just doesn't make sense.

And while I don't like people bringing it up for a lot of things (like those people bring it up to have a go at sledging), Hughes' death shows how important safety concerns have to be.
And I can't see how a less visible ball will make batsman and fielders safer

Heard Sutherland on ABC radio saying that it wasn't a personal crusade and he is just looking at alternatives for the long term survival of test cricket. What a load of crap, it is driven by his desire to maximise tv ratings value for test cricket. Cricket Australia have tried this sort of crap before when they played an ODI on Boxing Day in the mid 80s, a one year experiment that failed and they then saw some sense

He'd do a lot better to make sure that the show piece test in Australia on Boxing Day has a competitive opponent and get rid of Sutherland and CEO.

James Sutherland just said that beach cricket in the Olympics is not a silly idea.

This is the man making the big decisions in Australian cricket

James Sutherland just said that beach cricket in the Olympics is not a silly idea.

This is the man making the big decisions in Australian cricket

people should do interviews when on drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back