Universal Love Player Numbers – 2024 update (sponsored by Tulip)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where we are at now

1. Steven May

2. Christian Salem
  3. James Harmes
  4. Christian Petracca
  5. Brodie Grundy
  6. Jack Viney
  7. Jake Lever
  8. Charlie Spargo
  9. Angus Brayshaw
  10. Max Gawn
  11. Lachie Hunter
  12. Clayton Oliver
  13. Michael Hibberd
  14. Ed Langdon
  15. Bailey Laurie
  16. Jake Bowey
  17. Jake Melksham
  18. Josh Schache
  19. Adam Tomlinson
  20. Jacob Van Rooyen
  21. Blake Howes
  22. James Jordon
  23. Trent Rivers
  24. Tom McDonald

25. Luke Dunstan

26. Alex Neal-Bullen
  27. Bayley Fritsch
  28. Tom Sparrow

29. Deakyn Smith
  30. Harrison Petty
  31. Kysaiah Pickett
  32. Kade Chandler

33. Taj Woewodin
  34. Judd McVee
  35. Daniel Turner

36. Joel Smith
  37. Andy Moniz-Wakefield

38. Ben Brown
Unassigned players: Kyah Farris-White, Matt Jefferson, Jed Adams, Will Verrell, Oliver Sestan.

I wonder if the 2 will be given out - I expect it will, presumably to Jefferson. I can't see anyone moving down to a lower number tbh.

1. Steven May

2. Christian Salem
  3. James Harmes
  4. Christian Petracca
  5. Brodie Grundy
  6. Jack Viney
  7. Jake Lever
  8. Charlie Spargo
  9. Angus Brayshaw
  10. Max Gawn
  11. Lachie Hunter
  12. Clayton Oliver
  13. Michael Hibberd
  14. Ed Langdon
  15. Bailey Laurie
  16. Jake Bowey
  17. Jake Melksham
  18. Josh Schache
  19. Adam Tomlinson
  20. Jacob Van Rooyen
  21. Blake Howes
  22. James Jordon
  23. Trent Rivers
  24. Tom McDonald

25. Luke Dunstan

26. Alex Neal-Bullen
  27. Bayley Fritsch
  28. Tom Sparrow

29. Deakyn Smith
  30. Harrison Petty
  31. Kysaiah Pickett
  32. Kade Chandler

33. Taj Woewodin
  34. Judd McVee
  35. Daniel Turner

36. Joel Smith
  37. Andy Moniz-Wakefield

38. Ben Brown
Unassigned players: Kyah Farris-White, Matt Jefferson, Jed Adams, Will Verrell, Oliver Sestan.

I wonder if the 2 will be given out - I expect it will, presumably to Jefferson. I can't see anyone moving down to a lower number tbh.
I feel like one of the draftees wore 33, and one wore 38, in the clips

1. Steven May

2. Christian Salem
  3. James Harmes
  4. Christian Petracca
  5. Brodie Grundy
  6. Jack Viney
  7. Jake Lever
  8. Charlie Spargo
  9. Angus Brayshaw
  10. Max Gawn
  11. Lachie Hunter
  12. Clayton Oliver
  13. Michael Hibberd
  14. Ed Langdon
  15. Bailey Laurie
  16. Jake Bowey
  17. Jake Melksham
  18. Josh Schache
  19. Adam Tomlinson
  20. Jacob Van Rooyen
  21. Blake Howes
  22. James Jordon
  23. Trent Rivers
  24. Tom McDonald

25. Luke Dunstan

26. Alex Neal-Bullen
  27. Bayley Fritsch
  28. Tom Sparrow

29. Deakyn Smith
  30. Harrison Petty
  31. Kysaiah Pickett
  32. Kade Chandler

33. Taj Woewodin
  34. Judd McVee
  35. Daniel Turner

36. Joel Smith
  37. Andy Moniz-Wakefield

38. Ben Brown

Moniz-Wakefield to #33 perhaps?

Does Taj take his dad's old #2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy isn’t bright
Completed a Health Sciences degree while playing, now is going on to do an MBA. He's no Rhodes Scholar, but I'd say he's comfortably brighter than the average AFL player.

Completed a Health Sciences degree while playing, now is going on to do an MBA. He's no Rhodes Scholar, but I'd say he's comfortably brighter than the average AFL player.
I feel the average IQ across the league would be fairly high these days given how many blokes who've gone through flash private schools etc. Plenty do uni or get trades and run their own business (E.g. Fritta).
We've had a fair few blokes get 90+ ATARs. Gawn and Clarry do seem pretty dopey though.

This I didn’t know. Ashamed to admit it now but I was going off his AA interview back when he and Max were both selected - they were interviewed together. Gawn was excellent and Grundy worse than ordinary.

Rather than concluding he was thick, I probably should have factored in youth, nerves, shyness and not being such a naturally relaxed big-mouth as Gawn.

I feel the average IQ across the league would be fairly high these days given how many blokes who've gone through flash private schools etc. Plenty do uni or get trades and run their own business (E.g. Fritta).
We've had a fair few blokes get 90+ ATARs. Gawn and Clarry do seem pretty dopey though.
I don’t really think Gawn is dopey though his capacity to mix words is eyebrow raising. He is happy to roll with that character for laughs or something. His interests clearly run more towards the business end then the academic

There is a very big part of me bothered by your equating of IQ and flash private schools here.

There is a very big part of me bothered by your equating of IQ and flash private schools here.

Can confirm. IQ doesn't equate to schooling. There are some posh private schools where kids are as dumb as bricks.

Yes, a poor equation by me. More that many players (nominally, at least) are more likely to be 'well educated' than yesteryear
Totally agree that posh education puts people in better stead career-wise, though I suspect a good part of the reason is socioeconomic rather than superior brains. Plus the benefits of exposure to more extra-curricular activities and opportunities. And lifelong networks. Half the people who regard themselves as owning Melbourne seem to have evolved from who-you-know originating from Melbourne / Geelong grammar and the like.

Mind you, on the flip side they have to get around in those stupid school blazers with the crest and the piping etc. I came across a miserable bunch of clown-dressed youth types on a tram and they had their silly outfit completed with boaters, FFS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back