Analysis PLAYERS DONT HAVE ENOUGH campaigner IN THEM ANYMORE.

Remove this Banner Ad

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I had the pleasure of talking with a good friend of mine tonight who was an ex norwood player in the 90s. We spoke about the crows game last week and one of the issues we covered were theres not enough campaigner in the forwards or for that matter the whole team.
My arguement was its changed who has a team full of campaigners or a forward line with players able to be that guy.. U know the one player that everybody but his team and supporters hate because hes got mongrel about him.
He spoke about players like Carey and Brereton. I replied with who the * is like that know though. Looking around the league its hard to find a player or forward line that fits the bill. I guess the hawks have that mongrel about them when they have to. It seems our forwards are more your lead up type forwards and play nice football. I understand its not the 80s/90s anymore but surely we could have atleast one player that is a campaigner. He would be my favourite anyway, discuss...

I had the pleasure of talking with a good friend of mine tonight who was an ex norwood player in the 90s. We spoke about the crows game last week and one of the issues we covered were theres not enough campaigner in the forwards or for that matter the whole team.
My arguement was its changed who has a team full of campaigners or a forward line with players able to be that guy.. U know the one player that everybody but his team and supporters hate because hes got mongrel about him.
He spoke about players like Carey and Brereton. I replied with who the **** is like that know though. Looking around the league its hard to find a player or forward line that fits the bill. I guess the hawks have that mongrel about them when they have to. It seems our forwards are more your lead up type forwards and play nice football. I understand its not the 80s/90s anymore but surely we could have atleast one player that is a campaigner. He would be my favourite anyway, discuss...

You've been watching the Jacko interview, haven't you?

I did. This is a totally different arguement however

I agree with your point in general, not necessarily as a forward, however. I would like to see one or two enforcers in the side, especially for finals. We seem to be much too nice lately. The nearest thing we've got is Thommo, who at least stood up to the Hawthorn bullies in last year's final.

It's clearly gotta be Tex. He's got the strength and power to throw a few guys around and the football skills to back it up. He's done it on occasions like his comeback game against Collingwood but it's gotta be almost every week.

It's clearly gotta be Tex. He's got the strength and power to throw a few guys around and the football skills to back it up. He's done it on occasions like his comeback game against Collingwood but it's gotta be almost every week.
It has been well and truly coached out of Tex. He definitely used to have that inner mongrel, but every time it came out, he got rubbed out. It is good to see him throw his weight around, but he has well and truly tamed it down.

It has been well and truly coached out of Tex. He definitely used to have that inner mongrel, but every time it came out, he got rubbed out. It is good to see him throw his weight around, but he has well and truly tamed it down.
If were to beat hawks in a gf i want to see massive campaignerness a huge mongrell effort anything less would be s**t

I just want to see all the players having a nice time out there.

Just my opinion, but I think turnovers under no pressure are a higher priority.

North are full of w***ers and look at them? Not exactly a good model to follow. We've got a team (minus Hendo) that will always go when it is their turn. Think about how many courageous players we have. This is important and I think the only thing you have to worry about in the toughness department (or faux tough).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe why D-Mac is back. Gonna smack the suitcase out of all those Essendon players so come finals time those Essendon players wont... oops.

I would rather it be a fringe player , someone who ,when you see them going boonta , wont impact on your season overall. I guess its why Firrito has the job at North. I do cringe when Tex gets stuck in as I see him as a vital cog and I don't want him missing.

Who cares though? What does mongrel that borders on thuggery give back to the game? Problem with this thread is that it is full of nostalgia from a different time and era....one where we won't be going back to ever again. The biff is gone and the game has cracked down on physical aspects of the game to protect the players post footy.

Think about the best teams of the last 15 or so years, the Brisbanes, Hawks, Geelongs, Sydney's etc. They are going to be remembered for how amazing they were.

I am more concerned that our game does not allow us to see the characters.....but we are more professional than any other time in history.

I miss the physical part of the game because I loved it.....but it's over now....players come first now.

Last edited:
Teams that are aggressive without crossing the boundary win premierships: Geelong and Hawthorn are two examples.

Teams that are faux aggressive look stupid, cop suspensions and in-game penalties: Port and North are two examples.

We need to be aggressive and look to push the boundaries, but we can't be stupid about it. We shouldn't try to turn obviously non-aggressive players into campaigners, but we should allow those who are (Lever, Crouches, Walker, McGovern, etc.) to use it in games.

We shouldn't try to coach it out of players either, because I think you need hardness and aggression to win big matches. Turning up soft and copping s**t from an aggressive team like Hawthorn doesn't work.

Teams that are aggressive without crossing the boundary win premierships: Geelong and Hawthorn are two examples.

Teams that are faux aggressive look stupid, cop suspensions and in-game penalties: Port and North are two examples.

We need to be aggressive and look to push the boundaries, but we can't be stupid about it. We shouldn't try to turn obviously non-aggressive players into campaigners, but we should allow those who are (Lever, Crouches, Walker, McGovern, etc.) to use it in games.

We shouldn't try to coach it out of players either, because I think you need hardness and aggression to win big matches. Turning up soft and copping s**t from an aggressive team like Hawthorn doesn't work.

Love the way he and Cameron dump a player after they kick it.

Sloane apparently is really developing that campaigner side as well.

But yes, it's something we need to truly develop to take the next step. Hell it's probably the biggest thing we're lacking right now.

We should become the campaigneriest bunch of campaigners who ever campaignered.

There's just one problem with this. If we tried to be rough and tough a-la Hawks, we would be giving too many frees away. You have to remember that our players' indiscreetness is considered a foul by the umpires.

There's just one problem with this. If we tried to be rough and tough a-la Hawks, we would be giving too many frees away. You have to remember that our players' indiscreetness is considered a foul by the umpires.

You simply can't be a mongrel, imagine getting a player like Michael Murphy one of the early crows, he would play as many games as he was suspended. He would play one game maybe two games a year now.

You simply can't be a mongrel, imagine getting a player like Michael Murphy one of the early crows, he would play as many games as he was suspended. He would play one game maybe two games a year now.

Yep. This whole thing of "make him earn it" or "make him think twice next time" just gets you six weeks on the sideline.

Ask Tom Jonas.

Hawforn manage to do the snide jumper punches and dumping after tackles but they seem to have a whole pack of Get out of Jail Free cards from Gilligan.

Nobody had any campaigner in them tonight. This is why we wont win the flag. Not hard enough. Too many softcocks.

Scared little bitches.

I went to Europe in 2002. We were not the best side but we performed when it mattered most of the time since we were founded until then.

I came home in 2010 and we were a pathetic gaggle of blouses. Not a cool head anywhere to be seen.

Sadly nothing has changed. So long as everything is flowing in our direction we can look like millionaires. But game changers? Men that will be cool and take control? Nup.

Flowers under pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back