Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

Why And Clarkos got him mentoring some of the younger kids on the list.
Woody Harrelson Wtf GIF

My list of the players who have been kept on the list too long for each club:

Adelaide - Ned McHenry

I don't even think many Crows fans would disagree. Easily the worst first-round pick to come out of the 2018 super-draft. The only time he looks semi-competent is during showdowns (Because of course he does!)

Brisbane - Darcy Gardiner

Was never able to maintain consistency in Brisbane's defense the same way that Starcevich and Lester have (And even then they aren't exactly super consistent themselves) and found himself behind Jack Payne in the selection order last year. His brief forward experiment before his recent ACL didn't help him much.

Carlton - Jack Silvagni

Currently recovering from ACL but doesn't get around the fact that he's a 100+ game forward who hasn't even scrapped together a 20+ season even ONCE his entire career. If his last name wasn't Silvagni he would've been delisted years ago.

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Talks the talk but is ultimately still only good for about 1 or 2 decent games per year. Only important when Darcy Cameron needs a rest. I'm still convinced that his whole career completely lives off of his 2018 Prelim performance.

Essendon - Matt Guelfi

In the same club as Jack Silvagni for the forwards with (Almost) 100+ games of experience and never once even managing 20+ goals. Looks like a custom made AFL Evolution player too.

Fremantle - Matt Taberner

In 2020 he was actually AA squad lmao. Looked like his career was finally going to breakout, but instead a couple of injuries later and now plays like he aged another 10 years. Dead weight at this point.

Geelong - Gary Rohan

The Qualifying final hero answered his critics... and really hasn't done much since. Ollie Henry looks like a fitting replacement for his spot as the third tall. Will at least retire as a cult hero though.

Gold Coast - Sam Day

HE'S STILL ON THEIR LIST? Yep. Him and David Swallow the only ones left from their inaugural team. Never had more than 150 hitouts, 20 goals or 90 marks in a season, so... He does a lot of different things as a key position player, but none of them particularly well.

GWS - Braydon Preuss

The Giants don't really have many actual spuds on their list. But come on. This guy is at his third club and the jury has been out on him for a few years now. Simply doesn't belong on an AFL list for any reason that doesn't involve his height.

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard

I'm not saying that we exactly won the trade, because Ryan Burton has been inconsistent at best, but at least you can say he somewhat improved (And stopped getting injured) Whereas Chad is still barely even a shell of his former self and can't keep his body fit for a full season anymore. He's basically the version of Jake Stringer that didn't win a premiership.

Melbourne - Tom McDonald

He's named after a the white Republican version of Eminem... Enough said

Norf - Jaidyn Stephenson

I could pick multiple spuds off of this list, but it's seriously hard to believe that this guy once won a rising star and looked like the central piece of Collingwood KPF future. Somewhat fitting that his form dropped significantly after his gambling controversy. Norf almost tried to turn him into a midfielder but that was short lived.

Port Adelaide - Jed McEntee

Honestly, F!!K this guy. Waste of a mid-season pick, waste of a small forward and most importantly, waste of a list spot. Makes Guelfi look like peak Eddie Betts!

Richmond - Dion Prestia

Awesome player in his prime, but like Wingard he can't even put together a full season anymore with the way his body is shaping up. Is he really much on an integral part of their future anyway?

St Kilda - Jimmy Webster

A few to choose from, but I honestly almost forgot this guy existed until he crunched Jy Simpkin. And then realized he's been on an AFL list for more than a decade, and 150+ games of experience to match. I'm honestly impressed. He's basically the David Mackay of St Kilda.

Sydney - Peter Ladhams

YEAH PISTOLS
Like GWS, The Swans also have a pretty dam good list... which makes their worst player sticks out like a sore thumb. Go watch the match he played against his old team in 2022 and that alone speaks enough volumes.

West Coast - Jack Darling

This guy is cooked. The fact that his OWN crowd were giving him ironic cheers for his 1 and only mark against the Giants earlier this year says it all.

WBD - Rory Lobb

One of the dumbest list decisions and trades in recent times. When you already have a father-son AND a number 1 pick amongst your KPF options you really didn't need to get this guy. He's average at what he does anyway, and tends to sook about playing any ruck time even if its just for backup. Spud.

Adelaide - Ned McHenry

I don't even think many Crows fans would disagree. Easily the worst first-round pick to come out of the 2018 super-draft. The only time he looks semi-competent is during showdowns (Because of course he does!)

Was never able to maintain consistency in Brisbane's defense the same way that Starcevich and Lester have (And even then they aren't exactly super consistent themselves) and found himself behind Jack Payne in the selection order last year. His brief forward experiment before his recent ACL didn't help him much.

Carlton - Jack Silvagni

Currently recovering from ACL but doesn't get around the fact that he's a 100+ game forward who hasn't even scrapped together a 20+ season even ONCE his entire career. If his last name wasn't Silvagni he would've been delisted years ago.

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Talks the talk but is ultimately still only good for about 1 or 2 decent games per year. Only important when Darcy Cameron needs a rest. I'm still convinced that his whole career completely lives off of his 2018 Prelim performance.

Essendon - Matt Guelfi

In the same club as Jack Silvagni for the forwards with (Almost) 100+ games of experience and never once even managing 20+ goals. Looks like a custom made AFL Evolution player too.

In 2020 he was actually AA squad lmao. Looked like his career was finally going to breakout, but instead a couple of injuries later and now plays like he aged another 10 years. Dead weight at this point.

Geelong - Gary Rohan

The Qualifying final hero answered his critics... and really hasn't done much since. Ollie Henry looks like a fitting replacement for his spot as the third tall. Will at least retire as a cult hero though.

Gold Coast - Sam Day

HE'S STILL ON THEIR LIST? Yep. Him and David Swallow the only ones left from their inaugural team. Never had more than 150 hitouts, 20 goals or 90 marks in a season, so... He does a lot of different things as a key position player, but none of them particularly well.

GWS - Braydon Preuss

The Giants don't really have many actual spuds on their list. But come on. This guy is at his third club and the jury has been out on him for a few years now. Simply doesn't belong on an AFL list for any reason that doesn't involve his height.

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard

I'm not saying that we exactly won the trade, because Ryan Burton has been inconsistent at best, but at least you can say he somewhat improved (And stopped getting injured) Whereas Chad is still barely even a shell of his former self and can't keep his body fit for a full season anymore. He's basically the version of Jake Stringer that didn't win a premiership.

Melbourne - Tom McDonald

Norf - Jaidyn Stephenson

I could pick multiple spuds off of this list, but it's seriously hard to believe that this guy once won a rising star and looked like the central piece of Collingwood KPF future. Somewhat fitting that his form dropped significantly after his gambling controversy. Norf almost tried to turn him into a midfielder but that was short lived.

Honestly, F!!K this guy. Waste of a mid-season pick, waste of a small forward and most importantly, waste of a list spot. Makes Guelfi look like peak Eddie Betts!

Richmond - Dion Prestia

Awesome player in his prime, but like Wingard he can't even put together a full season anymore with the way his body is shaping up. Is he really much on an integral part of their future anyway?

St Kilda - Jimmy Webster

A few to choose from, but I honestly almost forgot this guy existed until he crunched Jy Simpkin. And then realized he's been on an AFL list for more than a decade, and 150+ games of experience to match. I'm honestly impressed. He's basically the David Mackay of St Kilda.

Sydney - Peter Ladhams

YEAH PISTOLS
Like GWS, The Swans also have a pretty dam good list... which makes their worst player sticks out like a sore thumb. Go watch the match he played against his old team in 2022 and that alone speaks enough volumes.

This guy is cooked. The fact that his OWN crowd were giving him ironic cheers for his 1 and only mark against the Giants earlier this year says it all.

WBD - Rory Lobb

One of the dumbest list decisions and trades in recent times. When you already have a father-son AND a number 1 pick amongst your KPF options you really didn't need to get this guy. He's average at what he does anyway, and tends to sook about playing any ruck time even if its just for backup. Spud.
Dixon 100%, the guys the ultimate 🥔

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Nope.

Was Collingwood's best ruck in the back half of last year when Darcy Cameron's form turned to s**t. He was instrumental on grand final day with 31 hitouts, including winning the decisive hitout to advantage that lead to the De Goey goal in the last quarter.

We don't win the flag without him.

Adelaide - Ned McHenry

Carlton - Jack Silvagni

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Essendon - Matt Guelfi

Geelong - Gary Rohan

Gold Coast - Sam Day

GWS - Braydon Preuss

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard

Melbourne - Tom McDonald

Norf - Jaidyn Stephenson

Richmond - Dion Prestia

St Kilda - Jimmy Webster

Sydney - Peter Ladhams

YEAH PISTOLS

WBD - Rory Lobb

Guelfi didn't really play forward until the second half of 2022. He was used as a jack of all trades. He's a handy depth player at worst, really. Since moving forward he's about a goal a game, but keeps getting injured.

Mitch Duncan, Gary Rohan, Josh Schache

at St.Kilda

Tom Campbell
Don’t really like this thread as it can become a pile on for the lesser talented players that every AFL team needs.
But what a remarkable career.
Rookie drafted in 2012 as a back-up option to Will Minson !! by the Bulldogs, then North & now the Saints. Hasn’t played since 2022!
Never played more than 9 games in any one year.
Appears to be the ultimate clubman, winning praise at each of his clubs for his leadership, guidance and mentoring of the younger players.
AFL career spanning 14 years, played a total of 56 games at a an average of about 5 games per year.
That’s awesome.

Nope.

Was Collingwood's best ruck in the back half of last year when Darcy Cameron's form turned to s**t. He was instrumental on grand final day with 31 hitouts, including winning the decisive hitout to advantage that lead to the De Goey goal in the last quarter.

Agreed, he's important to the Pies structure even though he doesn't get much of the ball. He clearly doesn't know Collingwood.

For Pies, I can't really think of any. The players not getting a game are quite young and really unproven. We've got a lot of role players/depth that might not be great (Carmichael or Johnson) but they are young and have a bit of potential.

Adelaide - Ned McHenry

Carlton - Jack Silvagni

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Essendon - Matt Guelfi

Geelong - Gary Rohan

Gold Coast - Sam Day

GWS - Braydon Preuss

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard

Melbourne - Tom McDonald

Norf - Jaidyn Stephenson

Richmond - Dion Prestia

St Kilda - Jimmy Webster

Sydney - Peter Ladhams

YEAH PISTOLS

WBD - Rory Lobb

On Wingard, quite stiff considering his form backend of 2021 was elite. Played a role in 2022 but mainly before his Achilles snap in 2023 he was electric. He’ll come back in a couple weeks and will be a huge addition to a young hawthorn side. Provides leadership and oozes class still.

Adelaide - Ned McHenry

Carlton - Jack Silvagni

Collingwood - Mason Cox

Essendon - Matt Guelfi

Geelong - Gary Rohan

Gold Coast - Sam Day

GWS - Braydon Preuss

Hawthorn - Chad Wingard

Melbourne - Tom McDonald

Norf - Jaidyn Stephenson

Richmond - Dion Prestia

St Kilda - Jimmy Webster

Sydney - Peter Ladhams

YEAH PISTOLS

WBD - Rory Lobb

Probably the worst list I’ve ever seen, not sure how you’d be shocked tbat any of these players are still on a list 🤷‍♂️

Gardiner making this list is a bit rough. Until last year, and the rise of Payne, the guy was playing consistently in the best 22. Gets the callup every time he is available.

Weird call.

Tom Clurey from Port Adelaide surprises me.

Ever since the first shutdown season, he's had massive staying power.

Doesn't stand out like Robbie Gray or Stuart Dew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be in deeper crap without him.

Probably not playing if Oscar Allen was fit, but without him we'd be relying on Waterman (who has come from nowhere this year) and Maric/Williams who are 19 (16 games played) and 20 (17 games played) respectively.

You can't gut your key positions and rely on 20 year olds. You end up like North if you do that.

He's played 285 career games, and playing in his last season, he started very slowly this year (didn't look fit), but he's improved and kicked 2 goals in each of the last three games. Not world beating, but he's taking a first choice defender and making life easier for the kids. Jack Williams doesn't kick 3 goals on the weekend just gone if Darling isn't there.

Dixon 100%, the guys the ultimate 🥔
I don't disagree. The guy can't put together a full season anymore and is just too slow to keep up with the best KPDs. Never had a single 50+ goal season his entire career either.

But the fact that he's still good for a couple of crucial contested marks and can still kick more than a goal per game at least makes him way more redeemable than the absolute sack of useless sh!t that is Jed McEntee.

Nope.

Picking one for Collingwood was admittedly harder than most of the other teams because it really comes down to a handful of players that have decently high ceilings but are inconsistent.

Ash Johnson, Billy Frampton & Mason Cox were the 3 that came to mind.

But in my eyes Ash Johnson has potential and just needs more time, while old mate Frampton was sh!t in the grand final but he's playing just fine as a CHB at the moment.

Maybe picking Cox was based more on his recent form as his start to this year has been very slow, but I also feel like he's just a worse version of Sam Reid overall.

Not doubting that he didn't contribute to the premiership team, but you'd only need to take away a handful of big games throughout his career to make it look a lot more under accomplished.

On Wingard, quite stiff considering his form backend of 2021 was elite. Played a role in 2022 but mainly before his Achilles snap in 2023 he was electric. He’ll come back in a couple weeks and will be a huge addition to a young hawthorn side. Provides leadership and oozes class still.
I can't remember if he left us because he wanted to play more midfield minutes or if it was the opposite and that we wanted him to be a midfielder but he wanted to remain as an x-factor forward. Either way from what i've seen in his time at the Hawks he still looks as though he's indecisively tossing between the two positions so not sure if there's a plan in place there.

But I also just notice nowadays that he always looks constantly miserable. Like he never actually really smiles or laughs with the game anymore like he did in his peak years with us. Since 2016 it just looked like his entire body language really changed for the worse. Mind you i wouldn't know if this is the same case when he's training or if it's just gameday.

Gardiner making this list is a bit rough. Until last year, and the rise of Payne, the guy was playing consistently in the best 22. Gets the callup every time he is available.

Weird call.
Maybe it's just me but I honestly never even rated him much as a CHB whereas I can at least say that Jack Payne's season last year was pretty standout. It's also difficult because defense has never been your no. 1 strength under Chris Fagan so outside of Andrews an the peak years of Daniel Rich, it's hard for anyone else to really standout.

We'd be in deeper crap without him.

Probably not playing if Oscar Allen was fit, but without him we'd be relying on Waterman (who has come from nowhere this year) and Maric/Williams who are 19 (16 games played) and 20 (17 games played) respectively.

You can't gut your key positions and rely on 20 year olds. You end up like North if you do that.

He's played 285 career games, and playing in his last season, he started very slowly this year (didn't look fit), but he's improved and kicked 2 goals in each of the last three games. Not world beating, but he's taking a first choice defender and making life easier for the kids. Jack Williams doesn't kick 3 goals on the weekend just gone if Darling isn't there.
Fair enough. He's obviously had a well decorated career up until this point to justify a little bit of extra persistence, but ever since Kennedy retired he's probably struggled with form more than ever. Plays better as a 2nd or 3rd tall than he does as the main target.

But I also just notice nowadays that he always looks constantly miserable. Like he never actually really smiles or laughs with the game anymore like he did in his peak years with us. Since 2016 it just looked like his entire body language really changed for the worse.

It's even been reflected in some of his headshots.

You're surprised a 29 year old who won a Brownlow two seasons ago is still on an AFL list? Not sure you're quite grasping this thread.
That brownlow win is going to look horrendous in historical terms

Maybe it's just me but I honestly never even rated him much as a CHB whereas I can at least say that Jack Payne's season last year was pretty standout. It's also difficult because defense has never been your no. 1 strength under Chris Fagan so outside of Andrews an the peak years of Daniel Rich, it's hard for anyone else to really standout.

Gardiner normally doesn't stand out because he's a lockdown player. Historically has played against the most dangerous forward, as he can play on a tall or a small.

Has played the defensive forward role this season, playing on the best defender. Managed to get it together, as a forward, on Sunday before doing his knee. Also provides dual coverage for injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back