Are key defenders the least important players on a list?

Remove this Banner Ad

qwertyboy

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton FC, Detroit Pistons.
Just a good one to ponder a lot of talk in the media and wider community is that as long as you have a competent ruck it’s all that matters but are key defenders the same?
Obviously like rucks there are exceptions like max Gawn and Sean Darcy who are match winners on there day. Same can be said for key defenders like Darcy Moore and Steven May, but like rucks do the unbelievable talents of you’re Darcy Moores and Harris Andrews mean that teams are overpaying through the salary and through draft picks for nothing more than mediocre talks that can’t play forward?
I feel a good key defender is important but not essential a rag tag group of keys that are from different backgrounds of failed key forwards and bush leagues are just as good than overpaying for these 200cm “good on the eye” keys

Since 2010 this is some of the key defender drafted in the first round
Seb Tape
Matthew Watson
Lachie plowman
Kristin Jacksch
Aidan Corr
Matthew Scharenberg
Caleb marchbank
Sam Durdin
Aaron Francis
Griffin logue
Aidan bonar
Fisher Mcasey
Brodie Kemp
Denver Granger Barass
Nik Cox
Zach Reid

The proof is in the pudding injuries have hurt a lot of these guys but it’s the exact point I’m making why spend a top 15 pick on a key defender when more than 50 percent of the time it ends in heartache

I’m in agreeable that key defenders are important but don’t be spending a too 20 pick or 800k for them

Well I would say that premierships have been won from having superstar key position backs. The missing piece of the puzzle for our threepeat was Brian Lake.

From there you've got Rance, Grimes with Richmond, May and Lever with Melbourne, Geelong have had Scarlett and Taylor and the list goes on!

Max Gawn would be the only superstar premiership ruckman in the last 13 years. So I'd still say Ruckman.

Harry Taylor was a first round pick.

Tom Lonergan was pick 23.

Sam De Koning is a first round pick.
Harry Taylor was a mature age draftee.
Tom Lonergan was a failed forward that got a second life in defence and Sam De Kooning had a great breakout last year but would be in the top 15 key defenders in the comp

Well I would say that premierships have been won from having superstar key position backs. The missing piece of the puzzle for our threepeat was Brian Lake.

From there you've got Rance, Grimes with Richmond, May and Lever with Melbourne, Geelong have had Scarlett and Taylor and the list goes on!

Max Gawn would be the only superstar premiership ruckman in the last 13 years. So I'd still say Ruckman.
Brian Lake was amazing but also a pick in the 60s origanlly
Dance a father son so given more time Grimes a pre season pick up that took 5 years to get going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope I’m clear when I say that key defenders can be found from anywhere mostly from outside the first round and on little money. These players are system based and look a lot better in better teams obviously.

The same goes for every position on the ground. I decline to allow your argument.
If you are building a list all I’m saying is that I wouldn’t be putting draft capital or big money into a key defender

Hawks '08 lost their best key back (croad) and dropped off. Only when they got Brian Lake were they able to win 3 in a row.

Coincidence?

Brian Lake was amazing but also a pick in the 60s origanlly
Dance a father son so given more time Grimes a pre season pick up that took 5 years to get going.

Yeah I wouldn't waste a high draft pick on KPB, but would choose one over a ruckman. Odd that many high draft ones have failed.

Just a good one to ponder a lot of talk in the media and wider community is that as long as you have a competent ruck it’s all that matters but are key defenders the same?
Obviously like rucks there are exceptions like max Gawn and Sean Darcy who are match winners on there day. Same can be said for key defenders like Darcy Moore and Steven May, but like rucks do the unbelievable talents of you’re Darcy Moores and Harris Andrews mean that teams are overpaying through the salary and through draft picks for nothing more than mediocre talks that can’t play forward?
I feel a good key defender is important but not essential a rag tag group of keys that are from different backgrounds of failed key forwards and bush leagues are just as good than overpaying for these 200cm “good on the eye” keys

Key defenders of premiership teams

2022 - Sam De Koning... Jack Henry.... (with Blicavs & Stanley dropping back into the CHB zone)

2021 - Steven May...... Harry Petty....... Jake Lever

2020 - David Astbury... Noah Balta....... Dylan Grimes

2019 - David Astbury... Dylan Grimes

2018 - Jeremy McGovern... Tom Barrass... Will Schofield

2017 - Alex Rance...... David Astbury...... Dylan Grimes

2016 - Fletcher Roberts... Joel Hamling.... Dale Morris

2015 - Brian Lake....... James Frawley...... Josh Gibson

2014 - Brian Lake....... Josh Gibson

2013 - Brian Lake....... Josh Gibson

2012 - Ted Richards.... Heath Grundy........ Alex Johnson

Key defenders of premiership teams

2022 - Sam De Koning... Jack Henry.... (with Blicavs & Stanley dropping back into the CHB zone)

2021 - Steven May...... Harry Petty....... Jake Lever

2020 - David Astbury... Noah Balta....... Dylan Grimes

2019 - David Astbury... Dylan Grimes

2018 - Jeremy McGovern... Tom Barrass... Will Schofield

2017 - Alex Rance...... David Astbury...... Dylan Grimes

2016 - Fletcher Roberts... Joel Hamling.... Dale Morris

2015 - Brian Lake....... James Frawley...... Josh Gibson

2014 - Brian Lake....... Josh Gibson

2013 - Brian Lake....... Josh Gibson

2012 - Ted Richards.... Heath Grundy........ Alex Johnson
This post is for my origanl point yes?

This post is for my origanl point yes?
Yeah, it's an interesting point you've raised

There are some high quality defenders among that lot, but also plenty of average/okay defenders alongside

I suspect everyone massively overrates individual talent and that premiership-winning defences are more about how the defenders help each other; how they work together; getting extra numbers to a contest; or getting across and covering for a teammate if he gets out of position.

Obviously, coaches would love to have 202cm Harris Andrews anchoring their backline. But if he doesn't get a timely chop-out from one of his teammates, then it doesn't really matter how good he looks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back