Preview PLAYING OUT THE STRING....CROWS PUT A WRAP ON BLUES

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing out the string….arguably some of the saddest four words in all of sport. For our beloved Crows it is an almost unthinkable outcome for a season that began with high hopes of a return trip to the Grand Final, to have to watch 2018 morph into this situation.

But, a mere 12 months after gearing up for a Finals run that would include a home win against the Kitty Kats for a trip to the GF, here we are. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I know a little something about teams playing out the string.

So let’s get the particulars out of the way first:

When we met last—at the Oval waaaay back in May.
The outcome--- a resounding 125-70 win that resulted in our boys climbing to 5-2.
(hard to believe now)
The big win back in May also allowed the Crows to grab the overall series lead 19-18.

Season Finale---Saturday, 7:25pm AEST
Where---Etihad Stadium
Why---Because the AFL requires every team to play 22 regular season games.

I could attempt to fill out the rest of this write up about why it’s nice to end any season with a W. The momentum of winning 5 of 7 to end the season will be helpful towards 2019…..

The truth is, this was an extremely disappointing year. While it will be nice to end with a win and to point towards next season, the big takeaways from 2018 are going to be of miscalculation/untimely injuries/unfulfilled expectations. There is no way to sugarcoat it.

However, since this is the last opportunity for us to see the boys play in a game that counts in the standings for awhile, my suggestion would be that we simply try to enjoy the final game in 2018 for what it is…one last chance to see a great mark, a great kick, a nice run from end to end resulting in a goal, or a great defensive tackle. One last chance to admire the season that Matt Crouch has put together, to see Eddie fly one last time (?) or to get a glimpse of the (promising) future of one of the young pups.

Choose to enjoy the moments of the final game of the season that remind you why you played footy, why you fell in love with the game, or why you so passionately follow the Crows. Whether you played, watched or came to the game of footy later in life…the ties that bind all of us as Crows fans can be found in this final chapter of the 2018 season.

ENJOY IT.

Ohhh…and Crows by 33. ;)

Last edited:

(Mate, you might find this merged with Scorpus' pre-game thread)

I love your optimism and identify with your Crows' support and loyalty --- I could never barrack for another AFL team --- but I'm in a different head space atm. Here's what I got from our win on Sunday:
Otten is not done and I hope he's retained as very experienced depth should we need a dour, close-tagging defender. Otten's job on Brown was masterful.
Crouch and Laird continue on their merry ball-magnetic ways. Crouch's 35 handballs are a record, apparently, but I'd prefer to see him hitting our blokes on the chest with effective passes. Laird will probably be all AA again this year; deserves it.
Gallucci continues to impress me.
I've always liked Greenwood from his first game; makes sense to give him more time forward until his tank is improved by a solid pre-season.
Tex's surgery confirms what we've suspected for a while --- I'm hoping to see the best of him in 2019.
Gibbs is silky.
Seedsman and Laird will terrify oppo forwards/mids in 2019, if they stay fit. Add Smith and Doedee and the backs look formidable.

Other than that, I feel flat pretty much. We won by 9 points ( 3, if Eddie's mark resulted in the usual pack-disrupting drop) --- WOOP! --- after leading by 37 late in the third. Beating Carlton even handsomely won't cheer me up much if we end up at 10th., and two season-ending wins that cost us a draft pick seem hollow.
AmericanCrow ---
As for momentum into 2019, the ball will bounce in Round One to a different team with a different mindset. Nobody will remember or care about our last two 2018 games, certainly not Pyke and the players all of whom will (should?) be looking forward.
In fact, getting the players involved to put behind them the 2017 GF loss (finally, pun intended) and this season, will be a Coaching priority. I'd hope.
The first Showdown loss to Port and losing to Freo (who were massacred by Geelong, whom we beat) as well as the Lay-down in The Alice (%-killer) were nails in the 2017 coffin.
I want to care about the game vs Carlton, but luckily I'll be back in Outback NSW with Queensland/NSW TV which rarely shows such games. 2019 can't come quickly enough for me, footy-wise. What I fear most is a status quo mentality which would reward Burton and Hass for their incompetence by retaining them and Don not bringing in new Assistants. What we tolerate, we will get more of, and tolerating their mediocrity will result in even more mediocrity.

The players and Coaches need a stirring, inspiring shake-up, more mongrel and unity of vision and intent.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing some young guns running around and getting a bit of experience. But unfortunately I don't think our SANFL game is on TV this week so I'll settle for watching Mackay, Douglas, Otten and probably Gibson instead.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some young guns running around and getting a bit of experience. But unfortunately I don't think our SANFL game is on TV this week so I'll settle for watching Mackay, Douglas, Otten and probably Gibson instead.
I get your disillusionment.
Bit tough on Otten, though, who was one of our best on Sunday in blanketing Brown --- remember also, he did those knees giving his best to the Crows.
I have sympathy for Gibson as well. He was known for his fitness (130 consecutive games for NM!), professional preparation and team-first attitude. Then he got Hassled and didn't really recover from it.
Mackay and Douglas, however, know enough to do better, although Douglas has just returned from injury too.

carlton will win imo, last week was our GF, cept for the fact we won it.

These dead rubbers are strange.

Can go either way. Some teams play out of thier skin looking forward to the piss up afterwards. Some sulk and go through the motions thinking about the energy they have for thier wives over spring

I like the seni
Playing out the string….arguably some of the saddest four words in all of sport. For our beloved Crows it is an almost unthinkable outcome for a season that began with high hopes of a return trip to the Grand Final, to have to watch 2018 morph into this situation.

But, a mere 12 months after gearing up for a Finals run that would include a home win against the Kitty Kats for a trip to the GF, here we are. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I know a little something about teams playing out the string.

So let’s get the particulars out of the way first:

When we met last—at the Oval waaaay back in May.
The outcome--- a resounding 125-70 win that resulted in our boys climbing to 5-2.
(hard to believe now)
The big win back in May also allowed the Crows to grab the overall series lead 19-18.

Season Finale---Saturday, 7:25pm AEST
Where---Etihad Stadium
Why---Because the AFL requires every team to play 22 regular season games.

I could attempt to fill out the rest of this write up about why it’s nice to end any season with a W. The momentum of winning 5 of 7 to end the season will be helpful towards 2019…..

The truth is, this was an extremely disappointing year. While it will be nice to end with a win and to point towards next season, the big takeaways from 2018 are going to be of miscalculation/untimely injuries/unfulfilled expectations. There is no way to sugarcoat it.

However, since this is the last opportunity for us to see the boys play in a game that counts in the standings for awhile, my suggestion would be that we simply try to enjoy the final game in 2018 for what it is…one last chance to see a great mark, a great kick, a nice run from end to end resulting in a goal, or a great defensive tackle. One last chance to admire the season that Matt Crouch has put together, to see Eddie fly one last time (?) or to get a glimpse of the (promising) future of one of the young pups.

Choose to enjoy the moments of the final game of the season that remind you why you played footy, why you fell in love with the game, or why you so passionately follow the Crows. Whether you played, watched or came to the game of footy later in life…the ties that bind all of us as Crows fans can be found in this final chapter of the 2018 season.

ENJOY IT.

Ohhh…and Crows by 33. ;)

I like the part when you used the line "ENJOY IT". Why watch footy to not enjoy? ;)

Want to see a full on attacking game with high scores from both teams!

Want to see a full on attacking game with high scores from both teams!
Carlton have a bit of a stifling style that can catch us out. Our last 4 games, twice we've pumped them and twice they've been a real arm wrestle. But having said that, they do seem excessively awful this year so I'd expect maybe a 7-8 goal win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is "playing out the string"?

I assume it's a Seppoism

That's to big a word for me to comprehend mate. ;)

Playing out the string is what happens when you must finish a season with no chance to advance to playoffs. Sort of like the Cleveland Indians in September from roughly 1959 thru 1993. Or the Cleveland Browns after the first game of the season. :)

Another incentive of the win, is to tie with Port on 12 wins. It's somewhat of a moral victory with the cross town rival, considering we've been playing this year with more of a handicap (figuratively and literally, speaking).

Now we need GC to knock the Cats off and we'll hear the sobbing, wailing and gnashing of teeth all the way from Alberton. :devil:

I never wanted anything in football so much... flow my tears, the policeman said*

*the policeman is arresting a Port fan for being a w***er

If we Beat Carlton and gain a % booster of 9.18percent we will finish higher than Port.

i doubt we will get the require percentage booster to jump port even a winning scoreline of 145 to 51 only increases it to 103.55 (port 107.62%)

I am really worried about today’s match. After last night we have pick 7 (dropping to 9-10th after a few mercy**** picks) in our hands.

The Kangas have a solid understanding of Tanking 101 so I expect them to have a narrow loss to the Saints, down to pick 8++.

If we win by around 21 goals we leap above Essendon, down to pick 9++. Is it possible for us to conjure up a 26 goal win and jump above the Pear and finish ninth?

The sad fact is you know we are going for it and with Carltank trying to justify a priority pick, anything is possible.

FFS Don, a nice little 10-12 goal win please :rolleyes:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back