Phil McCreviss

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 29, 2007
Manhattan, New York
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees, Giants
Ok I keep seeing this term in the paper, internet etc. But really what the hell is it? No offense to North supporters but every team has a bit of "shinboner" in them. Yet every time the Roos win and they were behind by 2 or 3 goals going in to the last quarter, its the "Shinboner Spirit" that gets them over the line. Personally I am fed up with the term because its just media speak for a good win. Every time the Kangas go in underdogs they win - not because of good coaching or execution or winning the ball out of the middle - its the Shinboner spirit that did it. Can somebody please define what the hell this means?:confused:

"Shinboner spirit" is the fine balancing act of maintaining a good football side (above expectations) while running yourself into the ground financially (below expectations).

Most teams either translate good form into offield improvements (eg Brisbane) or allow poor off-field to effect on-field (eg Carlton.)

I've followed north for more than 40 years and can remember as a child hearing the team refered to as 'the shinboners'. So I think it is an historical term that has been around for decades, but not quite sure as to its origins. Perhaps another north fan can enlighten.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An excuse the media use for validating a solid performance based on skill and quality football rather than admitting their pre-season assessment of North Melbourne was over-overwhelmingly wrong.

An excuse the media use for validating a solid performance based on skill and quality football rather than admitting their pre-season assesment of North Melbourne was over-whelmingly wrong.

Honestly, the whole North playing the victim thing is tiresome. They are not the only team to win against the odds and won't be the last. Its ridiculous that every time they win its down to this BS spirit garbage.

Last time I checked Brent Harvey won our B&F, and polled 2nd in the brownlow medal. Hamish McIntosh was in the 40-man AA squad. Corey Jones kicked a great deal of goals and Jesse Smith was best on ground in the semi-final.

But i'm sure it was the Shinboner Spirit that took us 3-weeks into September.

Honestly, the whole North playing the victim thing is tiresome. They are not the only team to win against the odds and won't be the last. Its ridiculous that every time they win its down to this BS spirit garbage.

I agree.

If the media attributed our games to ability and talent then possibly this 'victim thing' wouldn't be an issue.

from wikipedia

Though its origin is disputed, the Shinboner Spirit is a term which originated in butcher shops that were close to Arden Street Oval, when the North Melbourne Football Club was formed. Known as the 'Shinboners' for roughly the first decades of their existence, the club adopted the "Kangaroos" nickname around the 1940s, and by the time of the first VFL Grand Final appearance in 1950, this had become the dominant identifier of North Melbourne.
The Shinboner Spirit is a phrase attributed to the Kangaroos' ability to fight back hard with their backs against the wall. The 2005 Season was a great example of this spirit, with the Kangaroos finishing fifth after being tipped for the wooden spoon by many otherwise well-respected football writers and journalists. It was most arguably evident in their match against the Sydney Swans in 2004, when they rallied from a 40 point deficit at three-quarter-time to record a fitting result in Glenn Archer's 250th game of AFL football. The performance's standing as classic "shinboner spirit" was later called into question however, as Swans trainer Wally Jackson tragically suffered a massive heart attack and died on the boundary line during the third term, and was worked on by paramedics in view of Swans players.
1996 season was the perfect example of the Shinboner spirit. Where the club went onto win the Centenary premiership despite merging talks off the field.
In 2005, to celebrate the club's 80th anniversary of senior competition and the thirtieth anniversary of the first VFL premiership, the Kangaroos held a massive "Shinboner Spirit" gala event, attended by almost the entire surviving playing list. In the awards ceremony, the key "Shinboners" of the past eighty years were acknowledged, with Glenn Archer named the "Shinboner of the Century" to almost unanimous acclaim.
Another example of the Shinboner spirit occurred in 2007. After being tipped to finished last by many people, they finished 4th after the home and away season, with the finals still to play.
Ex-North Melbourne Football Club coach Denis Pagan used to evoke the cliché of Shinboner tradition to improve player performance:
"Pagan's much-loved Shinboner Spirit was a phrase that often had the cynics rolling their eyes, but which reinforced over and over the impression that the Roos would never offer anything less than an honest contest. "
The Kangaroos are indeed a shin-boner team of massive proportions, this is proven by their dedication to their creed (AFL).
In a recent press conference Dean Laidley commented on his interpretation of the Shinboner Spirit, "...I like to bone shins, shiny shin bones, dedication and trepidation are what I think the Shinboner Spirit is all about"

It's a tiresome media cliche that is compulsorily added to every single article about the Roos and Glenn Archer, who at any moment now will be knighted and beatified on the strength of his awesome Glenn Archerness.

Sigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back