Rumour Podsiadly asked to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

GFC must really rate some of its younger brigade that are yet proven on the senior field. Or that Pods and others are really cooked.

Vardy for me is not a proven CHF, nor Walker or Brown or Kersten.

Hawk has a bad back and his prognosis is unknown.

Not sure about moving Pods on given this situation.

Sounds more like we just have to have a clean out and we are taking the punt that one of our young forwards will come good and replace him next season.

The club is in the best position to make these type of calls but from he outside I am somewhat concerned.

Just about how I feel, JD, if it's true, with the added rider that Vardy also has chronic injury concerns.
And there's been time for the club to come out and say it's not true, if that's the case.

Geelong has been fantastic for Pods.

Pods has been fantastic for Geelong.

But its time to move on. There were signs that the game may be getting away from him, especially his inability to kick goals from outside 40m. Always looking to pass off. Hopefuly he can slot back into his job at the footy club and playing in the VFL.

Geelong has been fantastic for Pods.

Pods has been fantastic for Geelong.

But its time to move on. There were signs that the game may be getting away from him, especially his inability to kick goals from outside 40m. Always looking to pass off. Hopefuly he can slot back into his job at the footy club and playing in the VFL.

There's no doubt that, despite a fairly good year - a large part of it filling in for Hawkins' shortcomings - he has physically declined.
But the concern remains that, at present, nobody else has shown he is good enough to replace the 2013 Pods, let alone the earlier Pods.

GFC must really rate some of its younger brigade that are yet proven on the senior field. Or that Pods and others are really cooked.

Vardy for me is not a proven CHF, nor Walker or Brown or Kersten.

Hawk has a bad back and his prognosis is unknown.

Not sure about moving Pods on given this situation.

Sounds more like we just have to have a clean out and we are taking the punt that one of our young forwards will come good and replace him next season.

The club is in the best position to make these type of calls but from he outside I am somewhat concerned.

After reading your post saw the above Sportsbet odds Cats $5.00, surely they're not for a 2014 flag?
Give me $15 and I'd think about it.

There's no doubt that, despite a fairly good year - a large part of it filling in for Hawkins' shortcomings - he has physically declined.
But the concern remains that, at present, nobody else has shown he is good enough to replace the 2013 Pods, let alone the earlier Pods.

Agree that no other player has yet shown that they can make up for what Pods, diminished as he was, did this year. I think the club has just taken the view that they need the list space to find out whether or not someone will be capable soon, by given them a fair dinkum go at it. That's pretty much the hold up with Chappy, as the great man said himself - they want to develop the younger blokes and need the space to do so.

James Podsiadly was rookie listed by Essendon and Collingwood and then was delisted and spent the majority of his time in the VFL at several different clubs and then Geelong gave him a chance at the end of 2009 and they saw something in him that other recruiters didn't and that's talent. From the moment he walked threw the door he's had an imediate impact at the Cats kicking 49 goals in his first season and then backed that up with 52 goals the following year. He was vital to the development of Hawkins. I reckon he was a very underrated player for Geelong and gave them great service during his four years in the forward line and it's fair to say he was one of the reasons why Hawkins emerged as a player two years ago. Wish him all the best in the future!

Will wait for confirmation.

Sad if true though.

Been a gun and an inspired rookie pick, and deserves to be remembered as a really good player.

Hope he ends up as vfl captain again when his afl days are over, really do.

He absolutely has been that and more. You were spot on with that recommendation and I was completely wrong. Great effort from him. I've got little doubt he'd happily stay on and help the VFL side too. If it is true he can be very satisfied with the career he forged.

James Podsiadly was rookie listed by Essendon and Collingwood and then was delisted and spent the majority of his time in the VFL at several different clubs and then Geelong gave him a chance at the end of 2009 and they saw something in him that other recruiters didn't and that's talent. From the moment he walked threw the door he's had an imediate impact at the Cats kicking 49 goals in his first season and then backed that up with 52 goals the following year. He was vital to the development of Hawkins. I reckon he was a very underrated player for Geelong and gave them great service during his four years in the forward line and it's fair to say he was one of the reasons why Hawkins emerged as a player two years ago. Wish him all the best in the future!

Excellent summary of Pods' career. Well said :thumbsu:

What I don't get is, why didn't we play Walker more this year if this was the plan?

Corey and Pods were flogged all year, surely a better plan would have been 15 games each and then 7 more for Walker and Horlin-Smith.

I appreciate in the season every game looks important but you need some longer term thinking. I think Scott is a good, potentially great, coach, but Thompson leaves him for dead on use of resources over a season. Maybe that comes with experience. Thompson learnt his lesson in 08.

Excellent summary of Pods' career. Well said :thumbsu:

Prior to Geelong picking him up, the last time he was on an AFL list was 2001. The fact that he had to wait another eight years before being drafted again is a great story. He perservered and no team was willing to draft him. He did train with the Bulldogs and Richmond but they both passed on him. Notice since Geelong drafted Podsiadly in 2009, it has opened the door for more clubs to take a punt of mature aged recruits. When you look back on this someday, it was a huge success that Geelong drafted Podsiadly. The Cats took the risk and it payed off big time. :thumbsu:

Maybe the cats have plans to play Harry Taylor forward and leave Lonergan, Rivers, Blicavs and Brown as key defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I don't get is, why didn't we play Walker more this year if this was the plan?

Corey and Pods were flogged all year, surely a better plan would have been 15 games each and then 7 more for Walker and Horlin-Smith.

I appreciate in the season every game looks important but you need some longer term thinking. I think Scott is a good, potentially great, coach, but Thompson leaves him for dead on use of resources over a season. Maybe that comes with experience. Thompson learnt his lesson in 08.

I think Scott was torn between getting games into kids, and still going for a flag with what he thought was our best team. I'm sure he genuinely thought Corey and Lonergan and Josh Hunt and even Kelly could get through the season at the needed standard. Lonergan made it (just), the other three didn't. To be honest it reminded me of Thompson in 2010. It was clear there were replacements who should have gotten games but he wouldn't do it. Be interesting to see if he learns from it.

Maybe the cats have plans to play Harry Taylor forward and leave Lonergan, Rivers, Blicavs and Brown as key defenders.

Hope not. The three articles of faith for Geelong in 2014 are Taylor in the backline, Selwood on the ball, and Hawkins at full forward. They aren't negotiable.

I would change the makeup of the tall defenders though. Drop Lonergan, bring in Brown and rotate he and Rivers between the third defensive spot and centre half back as needed. You only need to watch the Qualifying Final to see why.

Yep and the fourth is Simpson in the ruck.

Yeah I forgot that. Good point.

I'll go further. I don't mind where they put Vardy next year, as long as it's the same position and he's allowed to develop. It's not a coincidence that Brown improved so much this year - he was playing the same position every week! I just don't want Vardy chopped and changed from ruck to full forward every other week, he's yet to prove himself as either at the moment.

Having said that, if they decide it's Simpson / Vardy in the ruck, Kersten and Hawkins up forward, great. But leave it like that for 12 games. Let them develop. We might have one poor year (which we all hate while it happens), but then some very good ones afterwards. Otherwise I think we're going to be a gradually deflating tyre.

Yeah I forgot that. Good point.

I'll go further. I don't mind where they put Vardy next year, as long as it's the same position and he's allowed to develop. It's not a coincidence that Brown improved so much this year - he was playing the same position every week! I just don't want Vardy chopped and changed from ruck to full forward every other week, he's yet to prove himself as either at the moment.

Having said that, if they decide it's Simpson / Vardy in the ruck, Kersten and Hawkins up forward, great. But leave it like that for 12 games. Let them develop. We might have one poor year (which we all hate while it happens), but then some very good ones afterwards. Otherwise I think we're going to be a gradually deflating tyre.

Yes true on Vardy. I was raving about his game in the Prelim, I checked the paper the next day and he had 5 possessions.....

He needs to play 22 games and if he does he might be making an impact in those games next year. Another injury riddled year and I just don't know where he will be.

According to a Hawthorn supporter- Pods was "a very underrated player for Geelong". How would a Hawthorn supporter know such a thing ????? and I for one don't care what they think. Geelong supporters certainly didn't underrate him, football journos and commentators didn't underrate him, Geelong players didn't underrate him, other players who he regularly beat didn't.
Great player overlooked by other clubs intent on the football golden grail of youth when they could also be considering strength, brains, intent and skill. Not always found in kids.

According to a Hawthorn supporter- Pods was "a very underrated player for Geelong". How would a Hawthorn supporter know such a thing ????? and I for one don't care what they think. Geelong supporters certainly didn't underrate him, football journos and commentators didn't underrate him, Geelong players didn't underrate him, other players who he regularly beat didn't.
Great player overlooked by other clubs intent on the football golden grail of youth when they could also be considering strength, brains, intent and skill. Not always found in kids.

Obviously some recruiters underrated him. The Doggies played in Prelim finals and narrowly lost a couple. If they had a key forward like Pod's they may have gone a bit further, rather than relying on Johnson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back