Toast Tom Hawkins - a magnificent 350 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's an old post about a young Tomahawk you might find amusing.
It's this comment that has aged well:

"A big lump who’ll never make more than cameo ‘gun’ appearances. Trade him to the Dogs (who are always in need of tall timber and gullible enough to take him) for a second round draft pick while he’s still got a few years puffery in him and be done with it."

Does anyone else remember the period from 2010 to about mid-2011, where he was completely down on confidence, a bit lost, and for all the world looking like another Ty Vickery type? (Well, at the time we didn't know who that was - so let's say... Kepler Bradley).

I actually remember going to the footy with a mate, and we theorised that Bomber's quarter-time speech was to point at Hawkins and say, "Look fellas. You're not playing well. You're having an ordinary game. But hey, at least you're not this bloke."

Hoooooo boy we were wrong. But we were not alone.
i was on the board then.. as were you... .... it was rough.
people wanted him gone... and traded .. it was brutal.

Not just that they were wrong.. but by how much they were wrong is astounding.

Great for Tomma to still be feeding them hats to eat every week.

Luv it

GO Catters

i was on the board then.. as were you... .... it was rough.
people wanted him gone... and traded .. it was brutal.

Not just that they were wrong.. but by how much they were wrong is astounding.

Great for Tomma to still be feeding them hats to eat every week.

Luv it

GO Catters
To be fair, nobody saw the 2011 GF and 2012 season coming. Nobody.

To be fair, nobody saw the 2011 GF and 2012 season coming. Nobody.
right.. even better for him to shove it up the clakka of everyone hurling it to him over the fence.

And there were plenty.

Just goes to show even in rutt some players can turn it around - they just need time.

GO Catters

Chris Scott did
Disagree. Scott correctly saw that he’d probably be a better option than Mooney, but even he was second guessing that a little.

If you had told me in the middle of 2011 that Hawk would win the 2012 B and F and an AA selection, I would have told you to put down the glass barbecue.

A lot of talk about his early struggles but I'm always amazed he made it through his back injury in 2013.

Really seemed like it'd affect his career pretty badly, if not ruin it at the time.
Me too. He was never the same player again.

He managed to work out, by 2019, how to play around it - but he was never the Careyesque, jump over tall buildings kind of Superman he was in 2012. That was a really special season.

I maintain that with a fit Hawkins and a fit (don’t laugh) Dawson Simpson, we would have won that flag in 2013.

Last edited:

A Giant of the Game: Tom Hawkins at 350​

Tom Hawkins' road to 350 games has been anything but ordinary
By Troy Daniel

Tom Hawkins was a month shy of his 20th birthday.

It was mid June 2007, and teammate Darren Milburn was about to celebrate his 200th game for the club. In those days, an honour board used to sit just above Hawkins’ locker, and he remembers looking at it often. This week, on the eve of his 350th game, Hawkins said what that board represented to the club and its players and their families has stuck with him after all these years.

“I think I was taught early on in my career that milestones are really big games for both the individual and for the club to celebrate,” he said on Tuesday. “I've always loved playing in them.”

“In my first year Darren Milburn played in his 200th game and I remember looking at the board which sat just above my locker in the old locker room and it was players that have played 200 games for the Cats and there weren't that many on there and subsequently over the last 17 years there's been a lot added to it but there was always such big emphasis on the milestone games so I can't wait.”

Tom Hawkins’ career is remarkable for so many reasons.

He was the big kid in Finley, a town of 2600 people in the Riverina region of New South Wales, some 350km from Geelong via the M31. Back then, as the son of ‘Jumping’ Jack Hawkins who played 182 games for the Cats between 1973 and 1981, young Tom was always going to be Geelong supporter.

But, as he told everyone who asked, Hawkins jnr had bigger plans. Much bigger.

“It's what I wanted to do as a kid,” he said. “I often would tell whoever asked that what I wanted to do it was to play AFL football and to play for the Cats.”

Eventually, via the 2006 draft, Hawkins would make his way to Kardinia Park, landing in the Cats lap with the #41st pick as a Father/Son s#41stion via Finley Football Club, Melbourne Grammar and Sandringham U18s.

The AFL, especially for the big forwards, had changed rapidly in the years between. The days of the big, glamourous full forward were in their death throes, but many saw Hawkins as someone who could step into the breach left by Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall et al, but despite his imposing size, Hawkins took time to make his mark on the game.

There were moments. The first person Geelong supporters think of when the 2011 Grand Final comes up is Hawkins. Still a kid, albeit a very big one, he had wrestled the key forward post from Cameron Mooney that season and with James Podsiadley going down in the second quarter, all eyes turned to Hawkins.

Three third quarter goals, and the momentum of the game firmly with the Cats, Hawkins, in 25 minutes of football had repaid all the faith the club, its coaches and its fans, had in him.

But it wasn’t all smooth sailing after that, especially when ongoing back issues had some questioning his long term future in the game, as the ghosts of full forwards past crowded the still young full forward.

“There was a time,” Geelong coach Chris Scott recalled this week, “I can't remember exactly when he was having those back issues.. Tom was struggling a little bit physically, but it also occurred through a period of time when I think there was a sense that the game was changing.

“And that maybe that the days of the big strong key forward were numbered, certainly the way the greats of previous generations played, the Dunstall’s and Lockett's, and maybe the game was moving further and further away from that style of player. And while Tom was having back issues at the same time, that kind of made a bit of sense that the game might get harder for him and not easier.”

But the Tom Hawkins story was only just getting started.

He would adapt his game, but in many ways, he doubled down on what he knew he did well on the football field.

“I've never lost sight of the fact that my strengths are my strengths and they've been able to keep me in the game for a long period of time,” he recalled.

“As you're probably well aware, I'm not very fast, I run last in our time trials every year, so I focus on those things that make me a good player and that's my ability to read the game and teammates and move my feet and win one on one contests, and I think I've doubled down and really understood what makes me a good player from week to week.

“There's been some physical changes, I've adapted, as all players do when they're in the game for periods of time, they adapt mentally where they can handle the workload a bit more. I think for the most part I just didn't get caught up in the fact that I can't do some things on the footy field and narrow it into what makes me a good player.”

Two premierships, 349 games and 786 goals later, Hawkins has, remarkably, succeeded expectations, but his real legacy is around selflessness, and his 291 goal assists, third in the game's history, represent not only the Hawkins way but it has become, in many ways the Geelong way.

“I think ultimately it comes back to how I started footy and the lessons I've learnt from my parents over the years, they've very selfless people and I think I've always just believed in if there's people in better spots than you, they deserve the ball”, he said.

“I get just as much enjoyment out of other people kicking goals as I do for myself hitting the scoresheet. Long may that continue, hopefully.”

Apologies Troy Daniel, but ffs, Tommy has three AFL Premierships, not two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A champion on and off the field. Without Hawkins, the last 15 years would have been a struggle for the cats.

Although we’ve had many great captains, I always felt like Hawkins was the glue at the club with his professional but caring nature.

The new stand could have been named the Selwood-Hawkins Stand given they played so many games together (305), will always be remembered as part of the successful era, and are very close friends.

He could be 11th on the all time goal kicking list by end of this season. I would love to see him play a couple more seasons as most full backs aren’t training to play on hulk players so he still has an advantage in the modern game.

First saw Tom when he played for Vic Metro against Country in the U18 Champs and duly watched him destroy them. I have no doubt that if it was an open draft that year he would have been first picked.

Remember walking out of the ground thinking we’d been gifted the next Plugger. He may not quite have reached those heights but he’s won 3 more flags than Tony did and been a champion of the game. He started a bit slower than many hoped and I recall a section of Cats supporters would have traded him at one stage. But since his breakout GF in 2011 he hasn’t looked back. A terrific footballer who will be impossible to replace. His type come around to a club maybe every 50 years. Wade being the one before him.

Disagree. Scott correctly saw that he’d probably be a better option than Mooney, but even he was second guessing that a little.

If you had told me in the middle of 2011 that Hawk would win the 2012 B and F and an AA selection, I would have told you to put down the glass barbecue.

Not sure he was second guessing too much. He gave him 9 of the last 11 games of the 2011 season AFTER a slump in the middle of the year so he obviously had a lot of faith that he had what it took.

Not sure he was second guessing too much. He gave him 9 of the last 11 games of the 2011 season AFTER a slump in the middle of the year so he obviously had a lot of faith that he had what it took.
The difference was that he didn’t have all three forwards available till the end of the year.

It was dropping Mooney at pretty much the end of the year that was the real show of faith.

Scott has talked about that decision, said it was more so on gut feel but it was correct

The difference was that he didn’t have all three forwards available till the end of the year.

It was dropping Mooney at pretty much the end of the year that was the real show of faith.

Scott has talked about that decision, said it was more so on gut feel but it was correct

Yes and no. Mooney only played 3 games after round 10. They were right near finals but yeah he had only actually come back into the side for those handful of games and was punted again. Tom was by no means a certainty and I have heard Scott talk about it too but he had been the preferred option for two thirds of the season so he had obviously seen enough to more or less think that Hawkins was good enough not just for the year but presumably for the future (that doesn’t necessarily mean he predicted just how good he would become, of course)

Podsiadly cameo in this version! 😍 Pure_Ownage

Seeing the great bald FF beast give tom such love brings tears to my eyes! (My wife laughs because she wasnt around in those days)
I know Pods like a fair few geelong people told the media to get off toms back and cut him slack in 2010-2011, because he believed in his talent.

But i dont think he or even any of us foresaw how good tom would be. Especially the improvement after he turned 30..its frankly unheard of for kpfs and a testament to his physical resilience and dedication.

Yes and no. Mooney only played 3 games after round 10. They were right near finals but yeah he had only actually come back into the side for those handful of games and was punted again.
Hawkins missed Mooney's last game (against Adelaide) and that was the only point from which Scott had three tall forwards to pick from against a genuinely good opponent.

It's one of those things where it looks obvious now, but at the time it was a contentious call.

As someone who played team sports for more than 40 years, Tom is one the most impressive players I've ever seen. I'm not talking about his goal kicking; that's his job and he does it well. I like his all around kicking abilities coupled with his vision of the field. From when I first noticed his immaculate wrong footed kicks to teammates, it was just amazing such a big guy did it so well. And the fact he found those teammates with such quick glances...elite.
All of that makes a great player, but what brings the whole package up to highest level, for me, is his character. I like to watch the player interactions, especially at stoppages. I use my own experiences to guess at what's going on between teammates. Tom is so involved and seemingly positive and supportive out there. I wish we had a mic'ed up for him. It must be so good to have a teammate like him. And the fact he's such a massive specimen who has your back doesn't hurt either. I kind of miss jumper-punch Tom. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back