Poker terms

Remove this Banner Ad

go into the tank / went into the tank - to think long and hard about a decision

phrase I don't use enough, so I thought I'd add it to the list

Ok I just read on the first page that its a term used but we didn't know it and well my mate came up with it even though it isn't that original. I would have edited my post but I cant.

heater - going on a hot or winning streak

cooler - going on a cold or losing streak

Terms can be also used to define a single hand. Suffering a bad beat or losing a big hand would be a cooler. A heater might be winning a big hand, or just playing a hand to perfection.

For those that know of it, and if you're reading this, you should, Negreanu called his 6s full to gus hansen's quads a cooler (GSN HSP).

needle card - a hole card that is of little or no consequence to the board

eg. the board reads A8555 and you go all in on the river, no callers. You volunteer to flip over a 7, which might anger an opponent holding an Ace or 8. Maybe you had A7, 87 or 75 (nuts), or it was a complete bluff and you had 76 and missed your draw. There is actually a new "Show One, Show Both" rule which states that if a player volunteers to show one card, if another player asks, he/she must show the other. This is not to be confused with the "Show One, Show All" rule.

Broom Corn's Uncle

Was watching WPT Ladies Night and heard Sexton say "she's not going to go out like broom corn's uncle". Means pushing hands when short stacked rather than being blinded out.

Did anyone see my post here from last night or the night before? It was just some crazy unintelligible crap. I must have been on drugs! I got on here tonight, saw it and thought WTF? I really should avoid posting after I've taken a sleeping tablet :D

Anyway I deleted it. Just weird. Unless someone cracked into my account :confused:

Did anyone see my post here from last night or the night before? It was just some crazy unintelligible crap. I must have been on drugs! I got on here tonight, saw it and thought WTF? I really should avoid posting after I've taken a sleeping tablet :D

Anyway I deleted it. Just weird. Unless someone cracked into my account :confused:

I thought you were taking the pyss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My most hated and seemingly most received hand
I commented to a fellow player yesterday I get 10-5 a lot. I then got dealt that hand twice within 20 minutes.

As I was playing crap yesterday I felt like going all in with 10-5 suited, I didn't though. Board read AT55x. Lucky for me, another player had rockets :eek:

I commented to a fellow player yesterday I get 10-5 a lot. I then got dealt that hand twice within 20 minutes.

As I was playing crap yesterday I felt like going all in with 10-5 suited, I didn't though. Board read AT55x. Lucky for me, another player had rockets :eek:

useless trivia I'd never thought about

every straight has a 10 or a 5.

Maybe we need a poker trivia thread

chances of flopping a set with pockets etc

Hahha playing online 0.10/0.20 sb/bb and what do I get delt as I check this thread? A K. what does it win me? Jack ********.

haha

ratholing - taking chips from the table. Some of you may recall I let out a tirade against this Asian chick that did it at Crown. She promptly left, not knowing what all the fuss was about. Apparently ratholing is legal in Brisbane.

Cash game. I went ballistic at this chick cos she was being very careful and thought no one noticed. She did it a couple times towards the end, then announced an all-in, after she'd pocketed maybe $100 or so. Her all-in then was just for like $5. I promptly told the dealer what she had been doing.

Hmmmm... I thought you could leave with your chips whenever you felt like it on a cash table.

Of course you can leave the table whenever you feel like it, but while you're at the table, all of your chips must remain on the table. Technically, you're not even allowed to pay for drinks with your chips, and I have seen some dealers enforce that.

Let's say I'm playing 1/2 and have KK, raise it up to 15, one caller who has AKs. Flop comes AKx. I bet out for 20, they raise to 40, I re-raise to 100. They're starting to wonder if I did hit a set, so while they have 200 on the table, he pockets 175 and says I'm all-in, that is, for the remaining 25 on the table. Can you see the problem now? I should be getting all his money. He ratholes to protect himself from losing more money just in case he is behind. If this scenario happened as I have explained it, I would absolutely insist with the dealer or call over a boss that his all-in bet is for the whole 200, not just 25. I'd call and just hope he doesn't spike an Ace, or a rivered broadway. Then I'd yell out SHIP IT!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back