Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AFL Club
Carlton
As opposed to someone like yourself who feels free commenting on a situation of which you know nothing about?

What's the problem with people like you?
I know enough to know the biggest problem in our society is the rapid development of the victimhood culture and political correctness. Thank god Shorten did not get in as he sees himself as there champion. He is really a dirty little private school grub trying to get votes. Real Australians saw through his ********. RIP Shorten and his brainless followers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gandaal

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
I know enough to know the biggest problem in our society is the rapid development of the victimhood culture and political correctness. Thank god Shorten did not get in as he sees himself as there champion. He is really a dirty little private school grub trying to get votes. Real Australians saw through his ********. RIP Shorten and his brainless followers
Political correctness is the biggest problem?

Not the homelessness in our streets?
Or the increasing violence in our suburbs?
Or the continuing high level of sexual assault of women?
Or the sickening poverty of indigenous Australians?
Or the 100s of other issues I can't be bothered mentioning.

Political correctness FFS

AFL Club
Carlton
Political correctness is the biggest problem?

Not the homelessness in our streets?
Or the increasing violence in our suburbs?
Or the continuing high level of sexual assault of women?
Or the sickening poverty of indigenous Australians?
Or the 100s of other issues I can't be bothered mentioning.

Political correctness FFS
Compare the homelessness on our streets to less developed countries, or the correlation of house price increases to immigration.

The increased violence does not relate to our ayslum seeking policy lol

feminist cancer groups and left wing politicians are notorious of overstating violence against woman statistics as a major problem in our society. they do not mention the increase in male suicide as a result of men getting bent over by our biased family court system

gandaal

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Compare the homelessness on our streets to less developed countries, or the correlation of house price increases to immigration.

The increased violence does not relate to our ayslum seeking policy lol

feminist cancer groups and left wing politicians are notorious of overstating violence against woman statistics as a major problem in our society. they do not mention the increase in male suicide as a result of men getting bent over by our biased family court system
You don't even know what political correctness is, do you?

AFL Club
Carlton
You don't even know what political correctness is, do you?
Yes it is the fear of stating actual facts as to not offend people. It is a cancer in every level of our society that has created a victimhood culture. This benefits minority groups and those whose careers are built around fostering this culture. Unfortunately now it has extended to journalism and senior management in every corporation.

Robbo's my hero

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Thread starter #431
I get it, you were a public servant for 36 years and was not happy that you were denied a decent payrise. Why did you expect a decent payrise? how did you contribute to cost savings or revenue improvements? Every payrise I have ever had in private sector was due to defined work performance. It's exactly the problem with you people, wallowing in your victim mentality and putting your hands out for freebies
Do you want to apologise for the comment? You don’t know me from a bar of soap and you make presumptions about me. You categorise me with terms that I find offensive. This is a discussion thread not a personal abuse thread.

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Thread starter #433
I’d like to continue this thread by transitioning it from an election thread to a general thread about political discourse. There is no need to limit the discussion to federal politics. We can talk about state politics if that’s your wish. It doesn’t have to be serious. My god some of us need a laugh after recent events.

Robbo's my hero

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Thread starter #434
RiteBak@Ya

I’ve given you 48 hours to withdraw your comment or at least make a conciliatory comment given the fact that your original comment offended me due to it’s presumptions about the type of person I am.

Before I address the personal nature of your comments I will explain to you in detail why you shouldn’t comment when you have no clue about the circumstances.

The Australia Public Service is not monolithic. The Government doesn’t deal with its workforce when discussing pay and conditions. Each department enters into an EBA with its workforce. So the ATO has its own EBA, Centrelink, Defence and the many other entities as well. So we don’t discuss pay and conditions as individuals. The main unions representing workers (both members and non-members) bargain on our behalf with our employer. Once agreement in principle is reached a vote is held and, presuming the agreement is satisfactory, it is ratified by Fair Work Australia.

Public Servants work with less and less funding due to the quaintly named ‘Efficiency Dividend’. It’s a cut to the operating budget on an annual basis and can be a percentage amount of 1% or more. Both sides of the political fence have used this blunt tool to cut costs for two decades. In reality this has meant significant job losses. Some have been made redundant, others retire and many find other places to work. Employees are not replaced and services suffer. It’s been a familiar tale since September 2013.

While the Government is not directly involved it sets the ground rules for negotiation which is called a ‘Bargaining Framework’. These are the dos and don’ts of what is acceptable and determine the relationship between the employer and its employees. The Abbott Government represented by its minister Eric Abetz determined that the negotiations would result in bad blood between the parties. They wanted to strip entitlements with no guarantee of a pay rise in return. It was a deliberate tactic to antagonise and provided a signal to employers Australia wide. It’s the reason why we have wage growth at the lowest levels in 25 years and why the RBA s advocating wage rises to lift the performance of the economy.

On three occasions Centrelink Management put up substandard agreements for a vote. On three occasions they was rejected. It was the same story across the public service. The Government used the blunt instrument of no backdating of pay rises to try and bully its way to success. It didn’t sway the argument until after I retired in February 2017.

So now your personal commentary that I find offensive.

‘It's exactly the problem with you people, wallowing in your victim mentality and putting your hands out for freebies.’

Read that sentence aloud and try to understand why it would offend.

It would be like me saying that you are a tosser with anger management issues. I don’t know you so this would completely wrong.

The generic ‘you people’ is offensive. I have an ethnic background and, not surprisingly, I have heard this accusation before in reference to me and my family. It is hurtful on a level you cannot understand because you don’t know me.

‘Wallowing in your victim mentality’. I suffered a monetary loss as a result of what happened. I’m certain that you would be upset in similar circumstances.

‘Putting your hand out for freebies’. What have I got for free? It’s a stupid statement and should be withdrawn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom