Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

actually, not only was Stokes able to quarantine at home, he attended a labor party fundraiser without even quarantining at all.

seriously.

Good thing the media here are able to keep the public informed on special agreements between powerful and influential groups like this...

What's that phrase? Democracy dies in darkness?

Nah, no possible corruption of power or influence because nobody heard about it because the only place you would is the media group controlled by one of those entities.

I am certain this goes both directions in politics too, my position on them being scummy by virtue (no pun intended) of their choice of career is well established.

I am certain this goes both directions in politics too, my position on them being scummy by virtue (no pun intended) of their choice of career is well established.

one of the things we need to do IMHO is start paying these blokes better, potentially based on their previous career.

The problem we are getting corporate interests manipulating the process is because they are able to promise the holy grail for alot of politicians -> lucrative exit opportunities.

McGowan when he finishes up will end up on the 7West board etc. He'll be set for life. That's why he is kowtowing to Stokes at the moment.

one of the things we need to do IMHO is start paying these blokes better, potentially based on their previous career.

The problem we are getting corporate interests manipulating the process is because they are able to promise the holy grail for alot of politicians -> lucrative exit opportunities.

McGowan when he finishes up will end up on the 7West board etc. He'll be set for life. That's why he is kowtowing to Stokes at the moment.
There is absolutely an argument to be made to pay politicians better, you don't attract the best management talent by paying people a tenth of what they could earn in private business and you're right that if you're not paying people what they could earn outside politics then they might be inclined to listen to offers of enrichment in exchange for influence.

Some might even argue that is why they are there in the first place.

I think we need to allow write ins on our ballots to get around political parties deciding for us who the options are to choose from and potentially select the governor too, given that position is redundant but would serve as a check and balance against a dominated parliament.

I don't think we have an appetite for more election campaigns though, I certainly am not interested.

L' estrange won't get up in Churchlands, so it will be just the 2 seats that the Liberals have retained in the WA lower house.

I've never understood why the right in politics so often try to blame the poor.
The article below shows the absolute hypocrisy of many Conservatives.
The Morrison government, through Robodebt, demanded the return of overpaid Centrelink payments from the poorest and most vulnerable in our society (if it was a scam being perpetrated l fully support the measures) for in most cases a few hundred or thousand dollars. While companies that benefitted from millions in unnecessary Jobkeeper payments when they posted record profits in 2019, can simply choose to pay the money back if they want.
Where's the outrage from the Conservatives on this? Have they no ethics? When poor people receive payments they're branded 'lazy dole bludgers', when millionaires recieve payments (which are in the millions, not hundreds) it's business as usual.

The hypocrisy is disgusting.

How can you envy someone who has to have access to welfare and public housing due to employment and financial hardship, due to factors that are too complex for ideological simpletons?

The Morrison government, through Robodebt, demanded the return of overpaid Centrelink payments from the poorest and most vulnerable in our society (if it was a scam being perpetrated l fully support the measures) for in most cases a few hundred or thousand dollars. While companies that benefitted from millions in unnecessary Jobkeeper payments when they posted record profits in 2019, can simply choose to pay the money back if they want.
Where's the outrage from the Conservatives on this? Have they no ethics? When poor people receive payments they're branded 'lazy dole bludgers', when millionaires recieve payments (which are in the millions, not hundreds) it's business as usual.

As well as the big companies that have received job keeper support, made profits during the pandemic, and funnelled the money that they didn't need to shareholders, instead of returning it.

The hypocrisy.

Labor’s leadership team of Bill Shorten and Tanya Plibersek pioneered the “robo-debt” data-matching system Centrelink is using to target current and former welfare recipients for apparently not declaring their income properly — but they now argue it should be suspended.
The automated system of matching income data from the tax office and income as reported to Centrelink to identify discrepancies was announced in a joint release by the then minister for human services, Ms Plibersek, and the then assistant treasurer, now Opposition Leader, in June 2011, adding an extra $71 million to the budget. The release said the “tax garnishee process had been carried out manually once a year for the past 15 years and involved a significant amount of time on the part of departmental officers”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hypocrisy.

Labor’s leadership team of Bill Shorten and Tanya Plibersek pioneered the “robo-debt” data-matching system Centrelink is using to target current and former welfare recipients for apparently not declaring their income properly — but they now argue it should be suspended.
The automated system of matching income data from the tax office and income as reported to Centrelink to identify discrepancies was announced in a joint release by the then minister for human services, Ms Plibersek, and the then assistant treasurer, now Opposition Leader, in June 2011, adding an extra $71 million to the budget. The release said the “tax garnishee process had been carried out manually once a year for the past 15 years and involved a significant amount of time on the part of departmental officers”.

Firstly, IF Labor had gone down the same path of prosecuting the poor for $100's owed and let business get away with not repaying Jobkeeper, I would be calling them out for hypocrisy too.
Secondly, Labor's policy was one of identification or 'red flagging' with a human then following up. Not the automated debt recovery that the Liberals implemented.
Thirdly, Labor's target of of acquisition was $71 million, Liberal was $1.2 billion. Considering that the Liberals got almost no money back, I know who was closer to the mark.
It was a policy that was started by Morrison as social security minister, implemented when he was Treasurer then defended for its failures while he is Prime Minister. Jobkeeper was another adopted Labor policy by Morrison.
But what of the point I make? You posted a Tweet that bemoans 'dole bludgers' Why does the Right in politics attack the poor as if they are the problem when it is the corporate world that is by far the biggest offenders in dodging payments that they are legally obliged to make? Google Australia recently posted a tax return equivalent to 5.9% of income. Currently the tax rate is 30%. in 2019 Google had $4.3 billion in advertising revenue, at the correct tax rate they would have paid $1.29 billion in tax (remarkably similar to what they wanted to get out of Centrelink) but thank to inventive accountancy, paid $58 million (+plus another $50 million due to an adjustment from the previous year).
You’re the one that posted the tweet. So how do you defend the Hypocrisy?

Last edited:
I did, you just don't like the answer, Chyna has boycotted billions of $$$$ of coal, wine and Ag supplies from Aust. When Brazil ore comes back on line that will be next.

Gina Rinehart knows what going on in the world so she's selling.
Gina's plan for being a major supplier to Chyna is in the bin.
Chyna is not our friend.
What have you go against Chyna? Have some respect for the dead. **8th wonder of the world**

ScoMo trying his best to dig his hole deeper. What an absolute disaster this government has become. Never saw that coming :rolleyes:

They should randomly drug test the staff and public service of everyone in Canberra.

My experience of that place is nothing to do but lots of blow and social climbing.

That doesn't lead to quality people suceeding. The whole place is a scum bucket of villainy and self medicating, unhappy snakes.

Obviously not all. But enough.

They should randomly drug test the staff and public service of everyone in Canberra.

My experience of that place is nothing to do but lots of blow and social climbing.

That doesn't lead to quality people suceeding. The whole place is a scum bucket of villainy and self medicating, unhappy snakes.

Obviously not all. But enough.

Don’t these parliamentary workers need to sign a Code of Conduct?.

Neanderthals need to be outed.

All politicians should be drug and alcohol tested just like they want for the 'dole bludgers'
Agreed.

And to make that an easier pill to swallow, I'm being more of a smartarse now, they should test all the Canberra public servants too but all results can be completely anonymous. Then if/when the data comes back that a significant amount of people are using illicit substances they can't get away from cleaning up the city.

Just one of the dirty little secrets of the capital.

The public service union would strike over it as an invasion of privacy, there would be mass sick days called and since a government department staffed by public servants would be conducting the testing they would advise which groups were going to be sick on those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back