Prediction Poll - Who will be our highest rated rising star? 2024 edition

Who will be our highest rated Rising Star in AFL Season 2024?

• Lachie Cowan

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Jaxon Binns

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • Harry Lemmey

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Rob Monahan (Rookie, Cat B)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ashton Moir

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Billy Wilson

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Matthew Carroll (Rookie, Cat A)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Hudson O’Keeffe (Rookie, Cat A)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Players must be under 21 on 1 January and also have played 10 matches or less to be eligible for nomination.

Ollie Hollands was our sole nominee in AFL Season 2023.

Jack Carroll turns 21 in December 2023 and so is ineligible notwithstanding he’s played 6 matches. Although Jesse Motlop is 20 on 1 January, he has already played 33 matches and so is ineligible.

Carlton players eligible for nomination for the 2024 award:
(as at the end of the ND and RD, not including any supplemental listed players)

• Lachie Cowan
  • Jaxon Binns
  • Harry Lemmey
  • Hudson O’Keeffe (Rookie, Cat A)
  • Rob Monahan (Rookie, Cat B)
  • Ashton Moir
  • Billy Wilson
  • Matthew Carroll (Rookie, Cat A)
I am backing in Cowan and Moir for nominations.
(And one to note is that Lemmey turns 20 in January, and assuming he does not play 10 senior matches in 2024, he would be eligible again in 2025).

Last year’s OP:
Players must be under 21 on 1 January and played 10 matches or less.

Corey Durdin was our sole Rising Star nominee in AFL Season 2022.

While Jess Motlop is under 21, he played 12 matches in AFL Season 2022 and so he is Ineligible.
While Brodie Kemp and Sam Philp have each played less than 10 games, they turned 21 before the start of 2023.

Carlton players eligible for nomination for the 2023 award:
(as at the end of the ND and RD, not including any supplemental listed players)

• Jack Carroll
  • Dominic Akuei
  • Ollie Hollands
  • Lachie Cowan
  • Jaxon Binns
  • Harry Lemmey

I am backing in Carroll and Hollands for nominations in AFL Season 2023.

Last edited:

Binns by about the length of the Flemington straight.

Moir would get my nod for 2025 but see a logjam ahead of him both up forward and down back next year

Think Binns will earn games from about the first month on and go on a tear as his game translates well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moir
Forward line is where there are the most opportunities, and they'll be trying different combos to see how players work together.

Go for it Ashton. Positions are up for grabs.

None will get nominated until the tail end of the year when all the hype has built up around someone else. Because that is the way of the AFL.
Moir on pure x-factor would be the one who could possibly be at the pointy end of conversations. His 2023 was underwhelming, but he has the tools to be a “superstar”. While he is an impressive “unit”, it is likely he will take a month or two of the season to be “AFL ready”. Combined with the ongoing uncertainty over our best forward mix, and the likelihood that Orazio and Elijah are more likely to get early opportunity. Surely he will need some defensive non-negotiables before being set loose on the competition. Will be an interesting “ride”.

Jaxon Binns pretty much proved his mettle in his debut year. An almost unparalleled presence at VFL level without opportunity in the top team will mean that when he gets his opportunity, he should be expected to grab it with both hands. Barring injury opportunity, likely he will be schooled in the Cottrell HHF/wing role as his access. Hard to see him getting a great deal of opportunity with Cotts continuing to step up, Doc playing hybrid roles also restricts opportunity. Acres has been a revelation despite some skill inconsistencies and Ollie “Dutchy” Hollands will undoubtedly continue to step up as a rising star of the game. Dutchy may “graduate” to the midfield over time, but it is hard to see him play big minutes away from a wing. All about opportunity for Binnsy, but does project to have instant impact.

Cowan is likely to have a significant step forward after a season in the system. Showed enough to get opportunity early last season and far from disgraced himself, offering promise of a quality career in the “big league”. As the season progressed, he was overlooked for more mature options. Somewhat of a “tweener” size wise, it is not yet apparent what his prime role will be in the back half. Plenty of development still to come, likely to do it all in the twos while waiting for opportunity at the top level. With four deserving tall options and good back up, he seems certain to bide his time behind our veteran defensive staples Saad, Newman and the returning Williams, with Cincotta and Boyd having legitimate claims to a permanent spot in the group. I have a feeling we will be keen to blood Moo in the top group whenever possible, but our older blokes remain at the peak of their powers restricting opportunity for the young gun. If he gets an extended run at it, will certainly be in the mix for a rising star “gong”.

Moir reminds me of Ollie Henry/Heeney/Fritsch

He is about the right size to step into senior footy and impact. His hip injury was just bursitis, but I can understand clubs being tentative on him having not seen the same dominance (as his bottom age year) during his top age year. Putting my Navy-Blue tinted glasses on though, he reckons he is over the hip injury already and I would say he would be. He was top 5 or something for agility, can't really move well with hip bursitis if it was still persisting.

In short, Moir is exactly the type of player we need inside 50 and has a mature enough body to impact in senior footy from day dot. He is equally skilled on both feet and has superb goal sense and contested marking ability.

Binns is definitely the next man in the side, every chance he could come in on a wing, HBF or something and impact big time this year. He will play senior football in 2024.

Both are equal chances for mine. Excited for the both of them.

Only just need to watch some highlights from Binns to know he will find a way either in 2024 or not long after to stamp his name as a permanent best 22 imo.

Runs all day, give and goes, hits leading forwards, doesn’t give up and likes a goal. Gives me Errol vibes.

I think Binns is developing really well, but I believe 2 areas could delay him cementing himself in the 22

Firstly, Acres, Doc, O Hollands, Cotts all play that wing role, but you would need at least 3 as a minimum to cover rotations. Which 2 does he play ahead of next year?

Secondly, while not crucial, he does need to improve his contest work, as not all possessions are gathering/receiving in open space

If he continues to improve, I hope he debuts next year, but think it's the year after that he cements himself in the side

Back