Prediction Poll - Who will be our highest rated rising star? 2024 edition

Who will be our highest rated Rising Star in AFL Season 2024?

• Lachie Cowan

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Jaxon Binns

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • Harry Lemmey

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Rob Monahan (Rookie, Cat B)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ashton Moir

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Billy Wilson

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Matthew Carroll (Rookie, Cat A)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Hudson O’Keeffe (Rookie, Cat A)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only just need to watch some highlights from Binns to know he will find a way either in 2024 or not long after to stamp his name as a permanent best 22 imo.

Runs all day, give and goes, hits leading forwards, doesn’t give up and likes a goal. Gives me Errol vibes.

Errol - yes please! He’ll need to have penetrating kicks though.

But, I settle for Sheldrick

I think Binns is developing really well, but I believe 2 areas could delay him cementing himself in the 22

Firstly, Acres, Doc, O Hollands, Cotts all play that wing role, but you would need at least 3 as a minimum to cover rotations. Which 2 does he play ahead of next year?

Secondly, while not crucial, he does need to improve his contest work, as not all possessions are gathering/receiving in open space

If he continues to improve, I hope he debuts next year, but think it's the year after that he cements himself in the side
It’s tricky really but imo Binns will surprise a few in 2024. The names you listed are hard to surpass.

And I would revert Doc to the backline, not 100% of the time. But if Doc played 70% back and 30% mid, I see a place for Binns in our best. I’m all for having a team that can out run and outlast the opposition. Cottrell could play some time forward too. He has looked good when he floats forward.

I think we need to put at least 10 games into Cowan, Binns and Moir in 2024 to keep the slight injection of youth coming through. It would also be good for our older statesman seeing the younger guys coming through.

As for Ollie, he’s top notch and should play the whole year.

It’s tricky really but imo Binns will surprise a few in 2024. The names you listed are hard to surpass.

And I would revert Doc to the backline, not 100% of the time. But if Doc played 70% back and 30% mid, I see a place for Binns in our best. I’m all for having a team that can out run and outlast the opposition. Cottrell could play some time forward too. He has looked good when he floats forward.

I think we need to put at least 10 games into Cowan, Binns and Moir in 2024 to keep the slight injection of youth coming through. It would also be good for our older statesman seeing the younger guys coming through.

As for Ollie, he’s top notch and should play the whole year.

I guess injuries will play a role, just believe that area of the ground has a longer pecking order, especially if we consider Walsh spending some time out on a wing

I actually think Moir has a better chance of getting games next year, as the pecking order isn't as long, and has a couple of injury prone types

Cowan is an interesting one, played early with injuries to Williams and Boyd, while Cincotta came in mid year.

All 3 likely to be ready for round 1, so makes it harder for Cowan, but like what I saw early on

I guess injuries will play a role, just believe that area of the ground has a longer pecking order, especially if we consider Walsh spending some time out on a wing

I actually think Moir has a better chance of getting games next year, as the pecking order isn't as long, and has a couple of injury prone types

Cowan is an interesting one, played early with injuries to Williams and Boyd, while Cincotta came in mid year.

All 3 likely to be ready for round 1, so makes it harder for Cowan, but like what I saw early on
I think our backline is in great hands with Boyd, Cowan, Cincotta and Wilson with Newman, Doc, Saad and Williams all 29 and over. We have no issue with any of the 4 elders over the next 2 years but maybe beyond that we could lose a few suddenly. So to have games into the 4 mentioned in 2024 an 2025 will be important.

You’re right re Moir, I suspect he will get games this year and cracking into the forwardline might be the easiest line of the lot. He brings something special. I can’t put my finger on it but from day 1 has given me JUH vibes.

Binns is just a guy I see a lot of potential in and an Austin speciality pick. Yes breaking into the wing area maybe a hard task but think if he is good enough, a bench position for a hard runner like himself would be fantastic.

It’s tantalizing to consider Moir, with hope that his mercurial talent shines early in his career, keep our fingers crossed, but one shouldn’t place the burden of high expectations on these young lads.
Pragmatically Cowan should take another step forward to becoming a solid team contributor.

I voted for Moir. If he has been able to shrug off the bursitis, he realistically could debut in March. His ceiling could be the highest of every player taken in this year's draft. Such an incredible athlete, he does not even have a preferred leg. To be able to roll either way from outside fifty and nail the goal. Now that ability will keep many defender's sleepless the night before they match up on him. Over the next twelve year's or so.
With J.M. injury prone and Elijah, needing to prove that he has the desire to get the best out of himself. I see Ashton playing at least twelve games next year. Hopefully he will be able to play 28 games next year.

All depends on player availability, healthy list will make it hard for Cowan, Moir, Binns or Wilson to get a look in.
Cowan and Binns have a little more competition for their respective spots down back and wing.
Wilson offers something different with his speed inside so he could get opportunities.
Moir has the least competition for a spot, has the most potential but will he be ready to play?
Moir just over Cowan by years end.

I think Binns is developing really well, but I believe 2 areas could delay him cementing himself in the 22

Firstly, Acres, Doc, O Hollands, Cotts all play that wing role, but you would need at least 3 as a minimum to cover rotations. Which 2 does he play ahead of next year?

Secondly, while not crucial, he does need to improve his contest work, as not all possessions are gathering/receiving in open space

If he continues to improve, I hope he debuts next year, but think it's the year after that he cements himself in the side
I'm 100% with ya on Binnsy. Reckon he's developing nicely, but where he sits right now is a very good VFL player who's still developing traits to play at the next level.

Plays the link role beautifully on his wing, but at AFL level won't have the same time or space as the slower tempo of VFL footy.

I'm personally more than happy for him to keep developing his game at the lower level - no need to rush him into the side until the development crew determine he's ready to take the next step - however, it'd be great if he does get to debut in 2024 to give him a taste of what it's like to play at AFL level.

Billy Wilson is the player with the point of difference we have been screaming out for, To be able to win the ball on the inside coupled with electric pace on the outside, with excellent finishing skills at full pace, is just what the doctor ordered . I'm excited too see how he develops.

If anyone is to push ahead of the further developed kids on our list i think it will be him.

I have been on the Binns bandwagon for a while, but definitely not the first one to jump on board, regular VFL watchers like Harry Flashman had been singing Binns' praises for a while before I jumped on board .

Cowan is the best bet out of our young players who have already had a taste of AFL level footy

I'd like to see Cowan played in the backline ahead of Cincotta and Cincotta played as a mid.
I think (from limited games I've seen) Cowan looks at be a smarter player, but I think Cincotta can be a good spread mid with his footskills.

I'd like to see Cowan played in the backline ahead of Cincotta and Cincotta played as a mid.
I think (from limited games I've seen) Cowan looks at be a smarter player, but I think Cincotta can be a good spread mid with his footskills.

Cowan will need some time to reach his peak as he is still very young. He also has natural traits to play on a wing, or as that medium forward, but not just yet

Cincotta is an interesting player, love his aggression,, users the ball reasonably well off both sides, but seems to get lost and or lose his opponent in traffic. I see him as breakglass type as a backman if we are fit in that area.

Competition for spots is the best I have seen in some time, dare I use the D word?

Cowan will need some time to reach his peak as he is still very young. He also has natural traits to play on a wing, or as that medium forward, but not just yet

Cincotta is an interesting player, love his aggression,, users the ball reasonably well off both sides, but seems to get lost and or lose his opponent in traffic. I see him as breakglass type as a backman if we are fit in that area.

Competition for spots is the best I have seen in some time, dare I use the D word?

Development and increased work rate for young players/fighting for games in our best 22 is absolutely vital and fundamental to any successful/top 4/finals contending team.

We have built a very solid and talented group of players, injuries notwithstanding, can make a solid case for almost 30 players on our list to play in round zero (or whatever the crap our opening round game is called)

One of my main objectives next season is to develop/groom Docherty's replacement. If we (God Willing) win the flag next season, I believe Doc will retire (and understandably so, he has given everything, heart, body and soul to our great club and game, and now has a beautiful young family to care for, and Saad is a fantastic player too, but getting at the point end of his career.

Billy Wilson was an unpopular/controversial draft selection for some of us, but he is earmarked to take over one of the invaluable HBF roles. I am very comfortable with the decision to recruit him 100 %

Clubs even in the premiership window have to be pragmatic and lateral thinking and draft for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah nice problem to have. I put Cincotta losing his opponent more down to not being a great reader of the play and where to position himself, which is why I think as 'See Ball - Get Ball - distribute Ball' type mid he'd be better off. Of course the smarter mids are going to lose him in one-on-one and I don't think he's suited to tagging but as a relief mid doing Kennedy's role I think he'd go OK.

Development and increased work rate for young players/fighting for games in our best 22 is absolutely vital and fundamental to any successful/top 4/finals contending team.

We have built a very solid and talented group of players, injuries notwithstanding, can make a solid case for almost 30 players on our list to play in round zero (or whatever the crap our opening round game is called)

One of my main objectives next season is to develop/groom Docherty's replacement. If we (God Willing) win the flag next season, I believe Doc will retire (and understandably so, he has given everything, heart, body and soul to our great club and game, and now has a beautiful young family to care for, and Saad is a fantastic player too, but getting at the point end of his career.

Billy Wilson was an unpopular/controversial draft selection for some of us, but he is earmarked to take over one of the invaluable HBF roles. I am very comfortable with the decision to recruit him 100 %

Clubs even in the premiership window have to be pragmatic and lateral thinking and draft for the future.
I feel exactly the same. Was a bit surprised with the selection but he looks the goods. We really need a distributor with footskills. Even Sam Mitchell's dinky little kicks out of the middle were very effective.

Some interesting points

From 2015, start of our rebuild years, I preferred younger players getting games in front of our more experienced players, even if they were slightly off the output, certainly not more

Now, I think we play guys on output merit, no matter the age or when they could retire

As for drafting/trading, different strategies for different stages, but you never ignore best available, ever

Some interesting points

From 2015, start of our rebuild years, I preferred younger players getting games in front of our more experienced players, even if they were slightly off the output, certainly not more

Now, I think we play guys on output merit, no matter the age or when they could retire

As for drafting/trading, different strategies for different stages, but you never ignore best available, ever

This season's national draft was somewhat of an unknown quantity/mixed back outside the top 10 or so, so it's no real surprise we and a few other clubs took a few risks/surprising picks and there was also several late sliders.

I am no draft expert but i am not sure if there was any AFL ready player (least one for our immediate needs) available at our pick when we took Wilson.

I guess time will tell.

This season's national draft was somewhat of an unknown quantity/mixed back outside the top 10 or so, so it's no real surprise we and a few other clubs took a few risks/surprising picks and there was also several late sliders.

I am no draft expert but i am not sure if there was any AFL ready player (least one for our immediate needs) available at our pick when we took Wilson.

I guess time will tell.
If you go back and listen to Agresta's interview on Gettable prior to the draft, he was asked if we were looking to bring in players who would have an immediate impact, and his answer was 'no.'

We selected Billy because he was considered the best player at that pick who most fitted our list requirements, not because we were looking for an "AFL ready player" who could potentially satisfy an "immediate need" as you put it.

If you go back and listen to Agresta's interview on Gettable prior to the draft, he was asked if we were looking to bring in players who would have an immediate impact, and his answer was 'no.'

We selected Billy because he was considered the best player at that pick who most fitted our list requirements, not because we were looking for an "AFL ready player" who could potentially satisfy an "immediate need" as you put it.

Clubs still make mistakes by drafting more advanced kids, rather than based on upside, but we all know it's tough to determine projection

Although you never draft for immediate impact, you use the trade period to improve your best 22

Clubs still make mistakes by drafting more advanced kids, rather than based on upside, but we all know it's tough to determine projection

Although you never draft for immediate impact, you use the trade period to improve your best 22
Spot on - which is why it was refreshing to hear Agresta in that interview say we're not drafting for the now, but for the future "because we're at the start of our journey."

It was also interesting to hear him say that Ollie totally exceeded our expectations of him in his first year playing 19 games, and missing games through injury....and as an aside he exceeded mine as well. I wasn't that excited when we selected him after watching his U18 rep games for Country and Academy, but I'll put my hand up and say I was wrong. I reckon he's gonna be a ripper!!!

Spot on - which is why it was refreshing to hear Agresta in that interview say we're not drafting for the now, but for the future "because we're at the start of our journey."

It was also interesting to hear him say that Ollie totally exceeded our expectations of him in his first year playing 19 games, and missing games through injury....and as an aside he exceeded mine as well. I wasn't that excited when we selected him after watching his U18 rep games for Country and Academy, but I'll put my hand up and say I was wrong. I reckon he's gonna be a ripper!!!

Yeap, Hollands exceeded my expectations too, as well as playing ahead of time

Had him just outside the 1st round

He Is a Ripper! An absolute beauty, and you gotta love the way he plays.
Ticks a lot of boxes for me and I think he spurs the boys on with his attack on the ball.
If Walshy rates him then that's a pretty good endorsement.

Well said Bambs.

I would like to add that the rise and frankly unexpected growth and development of Cotters (Matt Cottrell) who came up big time in several pivotal games and finals, from the supplementary/rookie list, is not only a massive tick to him, but also our recruiting team and development staff

images

The likes of Geelong and Sydney (amongst ofhers) have stayed up for so long in the past 20 years in part for some unique recruiting and developing diamonds in the rough like Cotters.

Ollie Hollands is an absolute ripper, but I honestly think it's essential for us to keep finding and developing players plucked out of nowhere (relatively speaking) like Cotters, that will bolster our depth and extend our flsg/finals window

My personal philosophy or preference is over the next few national drafts we should mainly pick what we need for the medium/long term future and trade for what positions we need immediate need.

I want us to a club that keeps making finals on a regular/sustainable basis and culture for a 10-15 period and the rest can sort itself off from there.

That would be my blueprint anyway going forwards.

I don’t think any of them will be nominated for a rising star (unless we have many injuries). We don’t need any of them to play, and so they are likely to get tastes here and there. While my understanding of the Rising Star is that nominations are based on a weekly output (where player x turns it on), my view is it is often awarded to someone who has a good week and has a body of work behind them. I don’t think any of our players get an NRS nomination on that criteria.

The only slight exception to the comment that “we don’t need any of them to play,” might be Moir. But I think he will be on a modified program for his hip, and would most likely benefit from some continuity in the VFL.

So… if I change my criteria to make it best player under 20, I think that other than Ollie Hollands, the only two players who might see a reasonable run at things in the seniors are Cowan and Binns.

For mine, Cowan is the one who could come in and get a look, and prove himself a solid addition to the team. So, it is Cowan for mine.

I don’t think any of them will be nominated for a rising star (unless we have many injuries). We don’t need any of them to play, and so they are likely to get tastes here and there. While my understanding of the Rising Star is that nominations are based on a weekly output (where player x turns it on), my view is it is often awarded to someone who has a good week and has a body of work behind them. I don’t think any of our players get an NRS nomination on that criteria.

The only slight exception to the comment that “we don’t need any of them to play,” might be Moir. But I think he will be on a modified program for his hip, and would most likely benefit from some continuity in the VFL.

So… if I change my criteria to make it best player under 20, I think that other than Ollie Hollands, the only two players who might see a reasonable run at things in the seniors are Cowan and Binns.

For mine, Cowan is the one who could come in and get a look, and prove himself a solid addition to the team. So, it is Cowan for mine.
they don't give a second year player the number 2 by accident.............they see something in the mullet from tassie - some other players who have won the morrish medal - lenny hayes, mcluggage, oliver, kreuzer, mckercher, stocker, nick graham.........

Back