Roast Poor umpiring?

Remove this Banner Ad

L_Maximus

Senior List
Mar 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought there were a number of instances during the 2nd half where in particular, Tippett was either spoiled by a Carlton defender over the shoulder, or a Crows player was held on to and slung way after he disposed of the ball.

OK, maybe it's a case of sour grapes for me, but I thought had a couple of these decisions gone our way, the momentum may have swung the other way?

Interested in your thoughts, Carlton has been able to win games in the past by throwing coin at talented SA players, but umpires?

Sour grapes aside though, I am proud of the effort and hear the boys put in tonight. Well done in particular to both Thompsons, Stiffy and Smith.:thumbsu:

Umpiring was not good, but I'm loathe to blame our loss on them. Much bigger problems than the guys in green.

Kurt Tippett hasn't been able to buy a free since he debuted. Honestly, I wish our club would show some balls and put together a video highlights package demonstrating how he has his arms chopped a dozen times a match without receiving a free. Hell, if they want, I'd put it together for them. Then take it to the AFL and make some bloody noise. It's so frustrating. Imagine how Nick Riewoldt would go if he didn't receive (warranted) free kicks for being impinged every time he goes for the ball.

Yer, umpiring didn't decide the game, but it was pretty average, there was some holding the man's / people thrown out of the contest late which were plain as day and weren't paid. I dont understand why that is, same with the Cornes on Johncock last week, ball is nowhere near, arms clearly wrap around and the player is thrown - I thought that was a free???

The worst thing Tippett ever did was get annoyed at never getting frees and throwing his head back to attract attention. Now he will never get them.

He never got them to start with! I remember a thread back in Tippett's first season with a poll asking what round it would be when Tippett finally got a holding free kick!

It's a fair disgrace, and has been for several seasons.

2.12 from Carlton deserve a mention at all??

I'm talking about the original post which suggested why we lost the match. I said that our start, which was rubbish, had a bigger impact on the loss than umpiring.

For what it's worth, I mentioned that we should have lost easily tonight based on the overall game, so go back to the Carlton Board and have fun.

I think the umps thought Danger was playing for calton, other than that we got nothing.

How about Otten getting a free against because Waite kicked him in the groin. amazing.

Number of times we were slung to the ground, often when not taking posession was absurb.

5.5 to 1.2 cost us a bit more than some key umpiring decisions. Not saying the umps were good - they're the most rubbish bunch of referees in world sport - but didn't "decide" the game.

I see your point, but to me there were several blatant free kicks we weren't paid. Whether that would have made a difference to the result, who knows. But I'm not surprised they went in the Blue's favour at Etihad... and wouldn't be surprised if they went in their favour at AAMI as well..:mad:

What was the free count out of curiosity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time I noticed the umpires alter the game was the Judd decision a few metres in front of goal. We lost by a goal.

I didnt mind the way the game was umpired for most of the game. They let a fair bit go which I like. The game was a war of attrition and fiddly free kicks would have ruined that.

I won't blame the umps for the loss as there were plenty of things we did wrong that lost us the game. But, I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: AFL umpiring won't get better until we make it compulsory that they have actually played the game at SOME level, even if it's Div 5 amateurs, I don't care. AFL umpires appear to just have no "feel" for the game. Why not head hunt ex-AFL players or even experienced SAAFL or SANFL reserves players (those types that aren't quite good enough for the higher level). IMO, this will help reduce the soft, barely-there frees.

I won't blame the umps for the loss as there were plenty of things we did wrong that lost us the game. But, I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: AFL umpiring won't get better until we make it compulsory that they have actually played the game at SOME level, even if it's Div 5 amateurs, I don't care. AFL umpires appear to just have no "feel" for the game. Why not head hunt ex-AFL players or even experienced SAAFL or SANFL reserves players (those types that aren't quite good enough for the higher level). IMO, this will help reduce the soft, barely-there frees.

I agree, but it wasn't the soft "barely-there" frees I'm complaining about, but the ones the WEREN'T paid....

Definitely some strange decisions - particularly from the non officiating (furthest away) umpire. Also, Judd is allowed to incorrectly dispose of the ball whilst being tackled which then results in him being held without the ball, which then results in a free kick. Will probably win another brownlow medal this year.

Definitely some strange decisions - particularly from the non officiating (furthest away) umpire. Also, Judd is allowed to incorrectly dispose of the ball whilst being tackled which then results in him being held without the ball, which then results in a free kick. Will probably win another brownlow medal this year.

Bet on it :thumbsu:

A free kick 10m from goal, no less.

Fortunately he hit the post :eek: Still, infuriating.

A free kick 10m from goal, no less.

Fortunately he hit the post :eek: Still, infuriating.

Oh when he was held for a micro second after he dropped the ball in front of goals???? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the AFL umpires are issued 2 rulebooks, the standard rulebook and then the Chris Judd rulebook :mad:

I agree, but it wasn't the soft "barely-there" frees I'm complaining about, but the ones the WEREN'T paid....

The last quarter was your standard umpiring performance in favour of the home Victorian team that we constantly face in Melbourne.

Both of Carlton's last 2 goals shouldn't have happened for a multitude of reasons, including the non-payment of blatantly obvious free kicks in our favour. Of course our players compounded it with their own errors, but if the frees were paid in the first instance it may well have been a different result.

One of the most insulting free kicks paid to Carlton was the Carlton player booting Otten right in the nuts with an out-stretched leg while taking a mark, without Otten making any contact with the Carlton player. How the hell was that a free to Carlton?? :confused:

As for the mauling that Tippett got yet again tonight without umpiring reward, if the Carlton defence mauled a woman like that they'd be up for statutory rape!! Talk about hands bloody everywhere!!

Carlton definitely got the better of the umpiring, but let's be honest. If Carlton had kicked straight, the umpiring wouldn't have come into it at all. We just weren't good enough overall on the night.

It's the inconsistency that I can't stand, between the umpires themselves and how they make decisions and also between the two teams. One umpire in particular should not be allowed to do our games. I agree a package should be sent to the AFL over Tippett, in fact, we rarely got frees in our forward 50 and Carlton seem to get quite a few. Up close at the game tonight you also got to see the view that the umpire was seeing it from and that just makes it even more frustrating. They didn't lose us the game but the consistency of their inconsistency is really annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back