Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Port Melbourne are 300k in debt
The AFL PA are demanding a pay rise
Hundreds of millions of dollars are being poured into AFLW/GWS/GC as well as into other crap.

Yet Port Melbourne had to go on the AFL footy show and get 10k donated from sportsbet.

What's the future gonna look like? Is the AFL gonna kill off all clubs that aren't relevant to its competition?

Unaffiliated. Spent some time many years ago aligned with Sydney and North.
Who are North's reserve side now?
I know the following;
Melbourne - Casey
Saints - Sandringhan
Richmond - Werribee
Geelong - Geelong
WB - Foots cray
Essendon - Essendon
Collingwood - Collingwood

So is North Ballarat, Williamstown, and port all not affiliated?

I know the following;
Melbourne - Casey
Saints - Sandringhan
Richmond - Werribee
Geelong - Geelong
WB - Foots cray
Essendon - Essendon

we aint with werribee we have our own side and before that we were with coburg

Last edited:
I know the following;
Melbourne - Casey
Saints - Sandringhan
Richmond - Werribee
Geelong - Geelong
WB - Foots cray
Essendon - Essendon

Werribee. They did have an arrangement with North Ballarat too, BT not sure if that still exists.

Richmond have a standalone team, Hawks with Box Hill.

Port Melbourne are 300k in debt
The AFL PA are demanding a pay rise
Hundreds of millions of dollars are being poured into AFLW/GWS/GC as well as into other crap.

Yet Port Melbourne had to go on the AFL footy show and get 10k donated from sportsbet.

What's the future gonna look like? Is the AFL gonna kill off all clubs that aren't relevant to its competition?
Why should the AFL support standalone VFL clubs? The VFA clubs were rivals to the VFL for many years and what value do they add now?

How many of the players drafted out of the standalone VFL clubs - Port Melbourne, Williamstown, North Ballarat, Coburg and until recently Frankston - would've been drafted if they went to one of the aligned VFL clubs/AFL reserve clubs?

If there is to be special funding for those clubs above and beyond whatever funding the VFL generates or is allocated then I think the AFL has to see some benefit from it.

Frankston has produced some really good AFL players in the last decade and they've fallen over which is a shame because they represent a region that needs investment. Port Melbourne seem to spend big on ex AFL players and quality VFL players and I'm not sure they've produced the same return in terms of finding AFL talent. Giving them extra funding would just allow them to spend more and drive up the costs for the AFL clubs competing for players in the VFL market.

300k is not much, but you cant afford to rack up debts all the time.

Maybe at the end of the day they need to do a Fitzroy and join the ammos, have gone from strength to strength with a huge junior base, multiple senior and women's teams, play at a great Oval and get good crowds operating as a Community club.

This year Fitzroy is fielding seven teams – Seniors, Reserves, Thirds, two Under 19 teams and two Fitzroy-ACU women's teams.

No reason why in the future Port cant do the same.

Last edited:
The OP is fair enough but the dominance of the AFL and television affects SANFL and WAFL clubs arguably more than the VFL.
Not Port Melbourne but a lot of the VFL clubs are aligned with AFL clubs who need them, this less so in states with two AFL clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really know the details behind the VFL and VFA clubs and the politics behind it all so best I don't comment. But from a commercial perspective, I'd think that clubs not affiliated with an AFL club may just have to exist from self sufficiency or merge with an AFL affiliated VFL club? Really just depends how their finances are I guess.

The VFL will soon become a 10 team comp with no standalone clubs. All of them will be Victorian AFL reserve sides eventually.
The standalone VFL sides can't generate enough money to stay viable. Shame for the competition but its been heading this way for some time.

I know the following;
Melbourne - Casey
Saints - Sandringhan
Richmond - Werribee
Geelong - Geelong
WB - Foots cray
Essendon - Essendon

I thought Richmond's is Coburg?

The VFL in its current incarnation has been going downhill for a long time. It is sad seeing it terminally ill like this for a such long time. The AFL doesn't seem to be interested in investing in money and/or effort to make it any better. Same with the other state leagues around the country. How is the condition of the WAFL and SANFL travelling, anyway? The TFL and Tassie football sounds like it's being mismanaged. They seem to put all the energies in the top and bottom but the middle gets left out.

It's really not.

"Why isn't the AFL going out of it's way to pay the debts of a club that has never played in the AFL?! :huh: #indignation"

The AFL is the peak body responsible for managing and administering Australian Rules Football. The fact that a club doesn't play in the AFL, doesn't mean that it is out of scope for the AFL, it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Werribee. They did have an arrangement with North Ballarat too, BT not sure if that still exists.

Richmond have a standalone team, Hawks with Box Hill.

It has been a bit of a journey for us. Ovens & Murray Football League was our old VFL zone and we still have strong ties to the region so in 2000-2002 we established the Murray Kangaroos Football Club that was in the Ovens & Murray league and our non-AFL players played in that league. The AFL forced us to abandon this back in the Whacko Jackson era.

Between 2003 and 2005 we were affiliated with Port Melbourne, they were extremely difficult to deal with. We had a lot of issues with players who couldn't play at VFL senior level so we decided to go with a dual affiliation arrangement which would give greater scope for players playing at VFL senior level and in roles we desired them to play.

Between 2006 and 2007 we were affiliated with North Ballarat and the Tasmanian Devils. Tasmanian Devils decided to leave the VFL after 2007 and have a stint in the SANFL before disbanding.

Between 2008 and 2015 we replaced Tasmanian Devils with Werribee.

After 2015 where Ballarat decided to abandon our relationship and join with the Dogs to play some games out of Ballarat we terminated the arrangement with NB and are now solely affiliated with Werribee. Werribee has also changed significantly over the journey, we have a very strong relationship with them. I think Werribee is closer to a stand alone team than it is to an affiliate, if we were ever to have our stand alone side it would basically be Werribee, just playing from Arden St instead of Avalon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back