Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

5/7 finals.
Im not defending him per se but who was our last coach who had that kind of record?
Its gutting. I admit. But id rather be challenging than crawling around 10th.
Except losing elimination finals is barely challenging. It's slightly better than the median in the league.

Well clealry if you are happy with Beveridges ladder finishes over the past 7 years you have to be happy making up the numbers, because that's what it has been bar a miracle once in 130 year event.

Finals? Top 8? 8? Making top 8 is not a measure of success. Its just a revenue raiser for the AFL and their commerical partners.

The "cut throat" competition is designed to give everyone a turn at success. Salary caps. Closed recruitment "market".
OK. So you ignore 2016? The comp is even af at the top end. Name me one stand out premier in waiting? Fact is any of the finals sides could win on their day. A simple metric is....you have to be there. I respect your opinion but id rather be in there, with a chance of performing at our optimum on a finals day rather than looking as onlookers.

Except losing elimination finals is barely challenging. It's slightly better than the median in the league.
Better to be in there than wishing what might have been. How many finals upsets have we witnessed. Plenty.
Im not saying I accept losing finals and saying "well done boys" but as 2016 showed, you can achieve.
Id rather that than watching from the sidelines.

Cordy defends like an absolute peanut half the time.

Its not as if he is 5m or so in front of his opponent to try and peel off up field. Rather he's 5m to the side, not even defending the dangerous side.

Throw in his awful acceleration and speed. Probably add in his lack of body strength too. But sure let's continue with him to see if he costs us any more games (granted there is some other major problems too, but apart from diabolical ruck stocks he is the constant liability).

Cordy was on one of the dogs podcasts recently and they touched on why he wasn’t in the team beginning of the season. He didn’t go into details but seemed to suggest he had a difference of opinion on how to play the role and he wasn’t doing what Bevo wanted. I assume the way he’s playing currently is how Bevo wants him to.
That is interesting and if that’s the case, it’s all a coaching issue.

It’s not Cordy’s fault that he has limitations.

I get the frustration but how can you just be out? Support doesn’t work that way. What if we win next week, you’re back in again?
'I'm out' from making any further comment on the coach, My views are clear and they are now vindicated by many posting tonight. No way am 'I out' from supporting the club, no ******* way and certainly not because of him.

If he wins a flag I'll build an alter and bow to it daily, alas, we both know that ain't happening.

That is interesting and if that’s the case, it’s all a coaching issue.

It’s not Cordy’s fault that he has limitations.
There wasn’t enough detail to be definitive and it was in response to a jokey question about do players question Bevo. Cordy just said he gave his opinion on why/how he went about certain things and Bevo didn’t agree. To be fair that’s Bevos job.

I'm out from making any further comment on the coach, My views are clear and they are now vindicated by many posting tonight. No way am I out from supporting the club, no way and certainly not because of him.
If he wins a flag I'll build an alter and bow to it daily, alas, we both know that ain't happening.
Fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys and gals
Please don’t quote or reply to those disgusting posts, just report them so we get rid of them as quickly as possible, and not have to clean up subsequent posts also.
Thanks.

Hey guys and gals
Please don’t quote or reply to those disgusting posts, just report them so we get rid of them as quickly as possible, and not have to clean up subsequent posts also.
Thanks.

Yeah, sorry, I just deleted my 2 replies, appreciate your work.

McNeil more so.

I was in all seriousness just thinking about that. I reckon of all our makeshift, pacey small forwards (JJ, McNeil, Garcia, VDM) he actually has the best footy iq and had a habit of making key plays in fourth quarters. All a bit late now, and he obviously needed some developing and more touches in the VFL, but honestly if you compare what he might bring compared to JJ or a half-baked Vanders...

That Cody weightman guy seems like a jet

I'm having a lot of emotional whipslash rn. I expected the loss but I'm still pretty devestated how badly we've choked this season away. But I'm also finding it hilarious. That just might be the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

On the coaching dicussion I think Bevo is a genius. But by being a genius I don't think he's satisfied playing a simple plan and wants to play high risk high reward constantly. It paid off massively one year and he will always be the greatest bulldogs legend in my mind. Do I think we'd be better with a more conventional coach? Ehhhhhh... No. No, I think our list is pretty s**t.

I don't think any other team has a worse makeup of key defenders than we do. Keath is fine but I reckon every other team has a better duo than Keath and whoever we'd pair him with. Maybe if it was Keath/Naugton but then I'd say we'd have the worst key forward duo in the league and that's if Bruce isn't injured. And our rucks, fit or unfit, are the worst in the league. Every side has at least 2 rucks better than our best. I reckon most have 3. It's a weak list. And for our star midfield, I reckon there are another 30 mids in the league you could plug into our midfield and they would look like A graders. Our system is our midfield. We handball it to each other and rack up touches, our defence can't mark so we spoil and go for boundary stoppages to get more potential touches for these mids. They are very good players but outside of Bont I think 10-ish sides have a midfielder that matches our best because the difference between the 10th best mid and the 25th best isn't that great. Don't underestimate system.

So is the blame just on the players? heck no. When Dunkley are Treloar were injured Bevo decided in his wisdom to just put it all on Bont, Macrae and Libba. Any other coach would've brought in Lipinski, Wallis, West, Garcia etc. to share that load. He's worked them until they're cooked. He's persisted with Cordy when he was leaking goals in 2019, gave Bailey Smith more midfield minutes when it 2020 his direct opponent was generating clearances. He's ****ed around with so many structures that I can't blame players for choosing other sides to go to rather than us. I can't count how many times he's hinted that our ruck or our defence or our lack of height is costing us so he knows what the problem is but then doesn't address it. And then on the other hand I don't think any coaching moves saves our players from losing to a bottom 4 Hawthorn, or blowing a 3 goal lead to a honestly average Port side. Blame goes on him, blame goes on players. Truth, as always, lies inbetween.

This year is over, but I don't believe in writing off the future. Next year can be better, it can be the same, it can be worse. We're in a position that with luck any of the next 7 seasons could be ours. The job of the coaches and players is to make the difference between lucky and unlucky as small as possible. Onwards and upwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back