West Coast
Negative -

-Injuries to bunga and West
-Degoey being dog again and ruining Elijah
- rotham, foley being dog s**t

Positives

• Angry Yeo is back and my god how good was he
  • Allen makes his moments count and was instrumental in our turn around
  • that third quarter arguably our best quarter of footy in 18 months and just the lack of experience and class let is down abit. That there is the standard for the rest of the year

Negative -

-Injuries to bunga and West
-Degoey being dog again and ruining Elijah
- rotham, foley being dog s**t

Positives

• Angry Yeo is back and my god how good was he
  • Allen makes his moments count and was instrumental in our turn around
  • that third quarter arguably our best quarter of footy in 18 months and just the lack of experience and class let is down abit. That there is the standard for the rest of the year

Geez Hewitt looked on too seems to of caught a bit of the Luke edwards curse every time he starts showing something he gets injured, when he comes back would rather just chuck him on ice like chesser in the wafl and get him some confidence and game time into him.

Positives:
There were many positives today.
  • Bazzo's performance down back;
  • Yeo's impact in the 2nd and predominantly the third quarter;
  • Sheed's work at the stoppages (mostly);
  • Williams was decent at times and impacted on the clearances (he was, however, beaten in a number of marking contests, however);
  • Long having a genuine impact on the game (Cripps-style);
  • some of our link play was actually astonishingly good;
  • Hough, Petruccelle and Clark having legitimate cracks and actually impacting positively;
  • won the total disposals (+54), clearances (+10) and contested possessions (+8). Only lost the inside 50s by one. Had better disposal efficiency than Collingwood. Also we were good at applying pressure inside 50 (with 12 tackles inside 50).

Probably the one I want to most highlight is Allen.
This could be considered a positive for the year, however I wanted to highlight it after today's game.
Allen may not be the best performing key forward this year, but he is by far the most consistent.
Looking at his season he's had the following goals:
Round 1 - 2 goals;
Round 2 - 2 goals;
Round 3 - 3 goals;
Round 4 - 3 goals;
Round 5 - 4 goals;
Round 6 - 2 goals;
Round 7 - 2 goals;
Round 8 - 4 goals;
Round 9 - 2 goals;
Round 10 - 1 goal;
Round 11 - 4 goals; and
Round 12 - 3 goals.

Outside of that atrocity down in Tasmania Allen has kicked multiple goals in every other game (and against some decent opposition players).
This means that he's kicked over 30% of our total goals this year.
He's also averaging 10.8 disposals and 5.4 marks.
I know we all had hopes, but his output far exceeds anything we could have imagined this year.

Negatives:
A few negatives today:
  • Allowing the run-on in the end (entirely understandable given our bench, still disappointing);
  • Rotham and Waterman now in no man's land (can see Maric leapfrogging them in the next couple of weeks);
  • a number of handballs sold teammates into trouble;
  • De Goey's hit on Hewett; and
  • our efficiency inside 50 is really hurting us. Could make a difference of 4-5 goals.

Last edited:
Negative was the end result another 10 goal loss but probably when it’s last vs 1st and we lose 3 players in the first quarter it’s not as bad as it sounds.

Positive was our third quarter we set a standard that Simmo should be making the squad watch and be demanding that intensity in the back half of the season.
Yeo,Kelly and Sheed all good.
Williams continues to improve.
Petch was better need to see more of it consistently.
Long, Hough, Bazzo, Ginbey and Hewett all had moments that gave us glimpses of the future.

+ve
Sheed career high 43 touches in his 150th

-ve
Gaff struggling to make the distance on a simple set shot from 40m out, needs a spell in the WAFL

Sheed, 43 touches, but I didn't really like his game - he kills momentum, and is a plodder, with no chase down factor. If anyone gets the ball near him, he is off to the races - bye, bye, see you Sheed.

Positives +

• The third quarter was amazing with efforts.
  • Angry Yeo is back baby.
  • Sheed continuing his consistent form. Kicked a nice goal on top.
  • Kelly also was great especially his goal.
  • Bazzo was solid in defense.
  • BBBW competed well in the ruck and was great around the ground. Better disposals from him than last week.
  • Jamo competed well in the air against Moore and provided some options.
  • Noah Long even better than last week. Got more involved in the action and worked hard. Kicked a nice goal from 50.
  • Waterman working hard and competed well in the air.
  • Clark was solid with his efforts.
  • Hewitt showed explosiveness and class before he got concussed.
  • Allen made the most of his opportunities.
  • Beaten them in contested ball.
  • Our forwards had enough supply.
  • Duggan was good in his efforts and kept providing us drive.
  • Hough looked great down back.
  • Ginbey continues to remain consistent and starting to get used to the defender/midfield split role. Used the ball well and tackled well.

Meh =

=
Witherden was solid defensively but bit off more than he can chew at times.
= Hunt was alright but didn't have as much impact.
= Petch linked up well but lacked class with his disposals when entering inside 50.
= Foley wasn't bad but wasn't good.

Negatives -

• Still allowed them to get a run on.
  • Injuries again.
  • Lacking class when delivering inside 50 plus connection isn't there. Efficiency inside 50 was a trademark thing of the WCE but we have injuries to our first line forwards.
  • Gaff sadly is cooked. No penetration on his kicks and his lack of pace showed when Collingwood were on the transition. Used to be elite by foot but his kicking has dropped off sadly.
  • Rotham should be delisted but unfortunately he's contracted for next year. Killed momentum getting done HTB.

Final thoughts.

The club fought it hard in the third term but with two rotations, the team lost energy in the final term. Angry Yeo is a beast and it showed why we were getting back into the game. Hurn should play out the year and help mentor the young kids but he should retire at the end of the season due to constant injuries. Getting an in form Darling, Ryan and Cripps along with Shuey and even Gov back will greatly help with the team's F50 efficiency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive
How good is it to have Yeo back in the team? Kelly must be loving it having someone else to take so heat off him.
Williams another big game, stringing together a pretty good season.
Jamo got involved (17 touches) showed some signs i thought.
The young players (Ginbey Long Bazzo Hough Hewett (before that dirty flig took him out)) showed good signs again.
Sheed i his milestone game

Negatives
Injuries.
Gaff just f*** off. Should of retired before the mid season draft so we had another pick.
Having to play Rotham XON Foley who all should be delisted
First and certainly last quarter (ran out of gas) meant the margin wasn't a reflection of the game.

Sheed, 43 touches, but I didn't really like his game - he kills momentum, and is a plodder, with no chase down factor. If anyone gets the ball near him, he is off to the races - bye, bye, see you Sheed.
Are you serious, should be carded....are you think about Gaff

Sheed at 5 CC (game high), 8 Scote involvements (team high) and 14 CP (3rd game high)

I want to like Sheed but he has the poise and awareness of a listing battleship. What use is having dozens of possessions when most of them are blind 30m hacks around the corner that become momentum killing turnovers. Depth player who got lucky.
+
we have our FF
we have some promising midfield kids for the 5 year plan
-
the 12 other positions
no ruck
no KPs
horrible list age profile for the 5 year plan

NEG: Made Mason Cox look like Dean Cox

Probably the one I want to most highlight is Allen.
This could be considered a positive for the year, however I wanted to highlight it after today's game.
Allen may not be the best performing key forward this year, but he is by far the most consistent.
Looking at his season he's had the following goals:
Round 1 - 2 goals;
Round 2 - 2 goals;
Round 3 - 3 goals;
Round 4 - 3 goals;
Round 5 - 4 goals;
Round 6 - 2 goals;
Round 7 - 2 goals;
Round 8 - 4 goals;
Round 9 - 2 goals;
Round 10 - 1 goal;
Round 11 - 4 goals; and
Round 12 - 3 goals.

Outside of that atrocity down in Tasmania Allen has kicked multiple goals in every other game (and against some decent opposition players).
This means that he's kicked over 30% of our total goals this year.
He's also averaging 10.8 disposals and 5.4 marks.
I know we all had hopes, but his output far exceeds anything we could imagine.
Quite a remarkable season considering
1. the lack of supply (quantity)
2. he is the almost total focus of the defence
3. how rubbish we are at not only quantity of delivery, but lack of quality as well.

Gaff should clean out his locker now.

Literally better player with 1 less play

What AFL can't kick 35!!!!!
Gonna be interesting to see what MC does when we have some players back.
However right now given we have SFA Beagles players Gaff won’t be dropped.
Even given that I’d argue there is more upside in Trew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back