Prediction Possible pick swaps

Remove this Banner Ad

How is your option gave GWS top end talent? If GWS can't move up the only option is to move down.

Read it again--- my scenario leaves GWS with points to collect Tom Green & Freo's current Pick #10.

Here's an idea for a Possible Pick swap that could help both GWS & Freo get Green and Liam Henry respectively.

It is expected that Tom Green will get an offer within the Top 5. While Henry is expected to get a pick at approximately 7-10.

At the start of the draft
GWS trade Pick 6
For Fremantle 2020 1st Round Pick & Pick 22.

Once Tom Green is bid upon GWS can use Pick 22, 40, 59 & 60 to gain enough points for Green.

Fremantle get to pick up two Top young talents at Pick 6 & 7.

Once Freo gets past there two picks and Liam Henry is still on the board.

Fremantle Trade Pick 10
For GWS' (Fremantle's 2020 1st Round Pick) & GWS (North Melbourne 2020 3rd Round Pick).

Fremantle could bundle up the North Melbourne 2020 3rd Round Pick & the Collingwood 2020 3rd Round Pick to get back into the 2019 Draft. Some ideas on clubs who may be interested in Freo's additional 2020 3rd round picks:
  • Brisbane for 48, 52 & 55 (Brisbane's 4th, 5th & 6th pick in this years drafts)
  • Richmond for 39 & 56 (Richmond's 3rd & 5th pick in this years draft)
  • Adelaide 37 & 49 (Adelaide's 4th & 6th Picks in this years drafts)

Freo then ends up with Pick 6, 7 & Henry.

While GWS ends up with Tom Green & Pick 10.

That would be more appealing for GWS than Tom Green, 49, 59 & 60.

How is your option gave GWS top end talent? If GWS can't move up the only option is to move down like your option. Your option can't even allow GWS to keep pick 40,59,60. Only get green because afl don't allow you to trade the same pick with the same team, in this case is Fremantle future 1st. Once Fremantle trade future 1st to GWS they cannot get it back from GWS but other team. Last year Sydney swap pick with Eagles cause AFL to close that loop hole.

Do you have a link to the rule they can’t trade future picks back??

Read it again--- my scenario leaves GWS with points to collect Tom Green & Freo's current Pick #10.

That would be more appealing for GWS than Tom Green, 49, 59 & 60.
Read again AFL don't allow Fremantle to trade future 1st to GWS and then get it back later, that loophole is closed because of last year Sydney and Eagles swap pick. You can swap other pick but not the same pick with the same team.

Read again AFL don't allow Fremantle to trade future 1st to GWS and then get it back later, that loophole is closed because of last year Sydney and Eagles swap pick.

As I asked— can you share a link to that rule?

Even if so— GWS are keen to get two highly rated players in this years draft— thus why they traded picks 12 & 18 for Pick 6 in the first place to try & get a draft pick in before Green.

why would GWS go back and accept worse draft picks for Pick 6 now than what they originally had

Even if so— GWS are keen to get two highly rated players in this years draft— thus why they traded picks 12 & 18 for Pick 6 in the first place to try & get a draft pick in before Green.

why would GWS go back and accept worse draft picks for Pick 6 now than what they originally had
You’re idea is a good one and something that was discussed on the Freo board (and on here in the early pages). No one is 100% if the no trade backsies applies to future picks or not, though it likely does

Of course GWS can try to move up if they cannot move up anymore then they need to cut lost, as for link I don't have it but AFL did mention after Swan and Eagles swap pick they going to close that loop hole. You don't want came draft night AFL said you cannot trade pick back then GWS get screw for not doing due dillegence. If I am Fremantle Fan of course I keep quiet. Pick 6 and 7 and Henry only lost future 1st round.

Read again AFL don't allow Fremantle to trade future 1st to GWS and then get it back later, that loophole is closed because of last year Sydney and Eagles swap pick. You can swap other pick but not the same pick with the same team.

Gws could just trade their own future 1st instead of fremantles future 1st back. There are ways to make it legal.

Gws could just trade their own future 1st instead of fremantles future 1st back. There are ways to make it legal.
Would Fremantle take next year pick 12-18 for their future first. If I am Fremantle Fan I take it. So far nobody suggested this swap which is the best and fair for both Fremantle and GWS.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Gold Coast trade with Melbourne for pick 3.

They then bid on Green at pick 1 and completely blow the Giants out of the water.

They then pick Rowell and Anderson at 2 and 3.

Less likely the go home factor for a kid from Canberra.

If Giants match pick 1 the Suns can pick Jackson at 4 and have a developing young ruckman.
So you think we are going to trade pick 3 for 15 and 20. Get real. Not even with next years first.

Clubs with the trades to give GWS are plentiful. Adelaide, Brisbane, Freemantle,Geelong,Gold Coast,Hawthorn,Port Adelaide,Richmond all have the assets for GWS. Look outside the top two for a trade back I think would be the go.

So you think we are going to trade pick 3 for 15 and 20. Get real. Not even with next years first.
I would have thought it would have been more of
3 for 20 and 2020 first (prob pick 1) but with the 20 of some added risk
It all depends who is in next years draft in the top few picks and who rates who.
Suns are the only other side who can get green (if they like him over next years top 2) then it makes sense to try get melb pick 3... meanwhile i assume the top 2 next year is better then the 3-7 range this year which all seem the same for Melbourne

I would have thought it would have been more of
3 for 20 and 2020 first (prob pick 1) but with the 20 of some added risk
It all depends who is in next years draft in the top few picks and who rates who.
Suns are the only other side who can get green (if they like him over next years top 2) then it makes sense to try get melb pick 3... meanwhile i assume the top 2 next year is better then the 3-7 range this year which all seem the same for Melbourne
Keep trying, you aren't real good at this.

Clarification please:

can a club that is the team matching a bid trade its next pick whilst it is on the clock?

Eg if Melbourne bid on Green at 3, GWS goes on the clock for five minutes. During that time can GWS trade pick 6 for other pick(s) such as a 2020 1st and a basket of 2019 later picks and then decide to match using the basket of later 2019 picks that it has traded in / already has (assuming those picks aggregate to sufficient points (and also noting assuming list spots add up))?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarification please:

can a club that is the team matching a bid trade its next pick whilst it is on the clock?

Eg if Melbourne bid on Green at 3, GWS goes on the clock for five minutes. During that time can GWS trade pick 6 for other pick(s) such as a 2020 1st and a basket of 2019 later picks and then decide to match using the basket of later 2019 picks that it has traded in / already has (assuming those picks aggregate to sufficient points (and also noting assuming list spots add up))?
Yes they can.
This is why it makes little sense for GWS to do any trades before the draft.

So your saying you wouldnt trade 3 for 1 and 20 lol
the one is not this year, the 3 is more likely Young, Kemp or even a bid on Green could go through if GWS thought it was going to destroy them this year and next pick wise. So no.

So your saying you wouldnt trade 3 for 1 and 20 lol

Goodwin and Mahoney have their jobs on the line next year. They will not trade out picks even if it means they will be better off in the long run.

Short term gain is what the selfish leaders at Melbourne are looking at, and I don't have a problem with that, as this is a results business.

Keep trying, you aren't real good at this.
Yep I agree. Personally still think GWS will end up trading down from six to get the points and future picks as they go if a trade with Melbourne cant be arranged and that scenario seems more likely. I think Freo with speculation growing around Henry could end up offering our pick ten and our future second for pick 6. From there GWS could do another trade with Geelong and trade pick 10 for 17 and 24 from Geelong. They could then do another trade where they 17 for 26 and 27 from North into 27 and a future GWS third for 33 and a future second from essendon. That would leave them with enough points for Green and two bonus second rounders by my count.

Goodwin and Mahoney have their jobs on the line next year. They will not trade out picks even if it means they will be better off in the long run.

Short term gain is what the selfish leaders at Melbourne are looking at, and I don't have a problem with that, as this is a results business.
See this is absolute BS. How can you say they will be better off in the long term when you have no idea who they will select this year and who survives to make the draft next year that is not affiliated with another club. You really aren't good at this.

See this is absolute BS. How can you say they will be better off in the long term when you have no idea who they will select this year and who survives to make the draft next year that is not affiliated with another club. You really aren't good at this.

Melbourne have shown they aren't much good at this either after their horrible trade with North Melbourne.

Melbourne have shown they aren't much good at this either after their horrible trade with North Melbourne.
It's a great trade. Geelong would love pick 8. You seem to be dirty on Melbourne, is it because Harley Bennell decided that we are a better club to be at than you cats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back