Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see us getting 3 Academy players into the final 22 for All Australian (Heeney, Blakey and Gulden) and we also win the premiership.

Calling it now, should this all this happen academies will take a massive hit. Especially as the review still hasn't been announced

On social media the academies already copping it, only reason we are good

suggested to a pies fan we will swap it for home grand final , told me that's no advantage

The problem is this is the VFL just gradually converted to a national comp.

So the AFL just always react to fix problems and it's too late to fix the core issue , which is that there's so many clubs in the one state and the major talent is there and they share two grounds etc etc.

The problem is this is the VFL just gradually converted to a national comp. Including interstate teams to get more money.

So the AFL just always react to fix problems and it's too late to fix the core issue , which is that there's so many clubs in the one state and the major talent is there and they share two grounds etc etc.
Fixed

It's not just the surface, had no atmosphere. I went there three times and hated it. Plus, they ran out of pies at 3/4 time and only sold Tooheys! Disgusting
I know I’m the outlier but I never had any problems whatsoever with Olympic stadium for our games. Had some awesome experiences there.

People call it soulless but I think that’s based on seeing a game in an 80,000 cap stadium with only 20,000 others. Of course.

When it was more full (eg the record-breaking 72,000 Vs Magpies) it was as awesome as anywhere.

And I think the way our SCG attendances are trending, we might be in a position to be reliably able to well fill it very soon.

No-one’s going to build a stadium in Sydney anytime soon that holds more than the SCG. So do we just keep on turning people away from our games there and expect they’ll still keep supporting us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I’m the outlier but I never had any problems whatsoever with Olympic stadium for our games. Had some awesome experiences there.

People call it soulless but I think that’s based on seeing a game in an 80,000 cap stadium with only 20,000 others. Of course.

When it was more full (eg the record-breaking 72,000 Vs Magpies) it was as awesome as anywhere.

And I think the way our SCG attendances are trending, we might be in a position to be reliably able to well fill it very soon.

No-one’s going to build a stadium in Sydney anytime soon that holds more than the SCG. So do we just keep on turning people away from our games there and expect they’ll still keep supporting us?
I went to the 1st one there and it was fantastic except for the beer

I went to the 1st one there and it was fantastic except for the beer
I went to the Wallabies V SA match in the lead-up to the Olympics. It was the first event at the stadium and I was blown away by the train synchronisation after the match. Only been back for 1 AFL match since.

Nice to see you open minded. Despite it being a mausoleum with a poor surface it could fit in larger crowds. Tell me how the SCG can cater for increased demand. It cannot even cater for drop in pitches.

Do you reckon the SCG will still be used in 20 years, 40 years?

Don't give me open minded... your part of the group that tossed the Swans jumpers for an old red and white V...

And we're not talking about 20 - 40 years, we're talking about now... Mostly we get crowds in 30Ks in Sydney, for either really big games, or when we're winning pretty consistently. Having an 80K stadium with a 40 - 45K crowd will have a really poor atmosphere. I like the SCG, I like the crowd, and I like the feel of it... It's where we started in Sydney...

We played at ANZ for about 15 years, and when we went back to the SCG we were welcomed home! The crowds improved and grew. Now we've built a state of the art facility for the players and staff less than a five minute walk away, and you want to move the club somewhere else...

If we draw 40K crowds for a season or two, then we'll get some leverage to have a say in the surfacing.. but lets make sure we get there first!

Homebush in a nutshell.

Can’t get in, can’t get out, can’t get a beer and the pies are cold.

The only way you get atmosphere is if you’re actually playing.

Don't give me open minded... your part of the group that tossed the Swans jumpers for an old red and white V...

And we're not talking about 20 - 40 years, we're talking about now... Mostly we get crowds in 30Ks in Sydney, for either really big games, or when we're winning pretty consistently. Having an 80K stadium with a 40 - 45K crowd will have a really poor atmosphere. I like the SCG, I like the crowd, and I like the feel of it... It's where we started in Sydney...

We played at ANZ for about 15 years, and when we went back to the SCG we were welcomed home! The crowds improved and grew. Now we've built a state of the art facility for the players and staff less than a five minute walk away, and you want to move the club somewhere else...

If we draw 40K crowds for a season or two, then we'll get some leverage to have a say in the surfacing.. but lets make sure we get there first!

Good experience if you are not a parent with a child in a pram or a person in a wheelchair … ask Ticky.

The new stadium will happen and this dinosaurs will be into converted nob apartments.

Your churlish attitude to the jumper is unusually mean spirited. That jumper just puts a smile on many faces.

Your churlish attitude to the jumper is unusually mean spirited. That jumper just puts a smile on many faces.
This is a very 'Victorian' view... and kindly keep your character aspersions to yourself! I completely understand that many south melbourne supporters are very happy, lucky them...

I have followed Sydney since they got here, before that I followed South Melbourne. The excitement of having our own team and the opportunity to be here from the ground up was exhilarating! That's how they sold it to us... A Sydney club! And some of us bought into it, lock, stock and barrel... we kept the colors, we kept the V, we kept 'the swans', we included 'SMFC 1873' on every jumper... we honored our beginnings. But we were the SYDNEY club!

And then when we emerged from 20 years of pain, and and spend another 20 years growing into a successful club with an outstanding finals record and two recent grand final wins, you dumped us! You returned to South Melbourne and the South Melbourne jumper for Victorian games... and once again, it became clear its a very Victorian centred game.

I feel like they promised us a Sydney club and then they are changing the story... Yes, I feel betrayed and I begrudge the jumper from 50 years ago. If we had kept it for heritage round, that would have been fine, Souths are our heritage. But that's not what has happened.

I do not need you to feel the same way as me to validate my feelings...

But it is rather hypocritical to hang on to a 50 year old relic from the past as sacred, and then tell someone else they're close minded and mean spirited.

This is a very 'Victorian' view... and kindly keep your character aspersions to yourself! I completely understand that many south melbourne supporters are very happy, lucky them...

I have followed Sydney since they got here, before that I followed South Melbourne. The excitement of having our own team and the opportunity to be here from the ground up was exhilarating! That's how they sold it to us... A Sydney club! And some of us bought into it, lock, stock and barrel... we kept the colors, we kept the V, we kept 'the swans', we included 'SMFC 1873' on every jumper... we honored our beginnings. But we were the SYDNEY club!

And then when we emerged from 20 years of pain, and and spend another 20 years growing into a successful club with an outstanding finals record and two recent grand final wins, you dumped us! You returned to South Melbourne and the South Melbourne jumper for Victorian games... and once again, it became clear its a very Victorian centred game.

I feel like they promised us a Sydney club and then they are changing the story... Yes, I feel betrayed and I begrudge the jumper from 50 years ago. If we had kept it for heritage round, that would have been fine, Souths are our heritage. But that's not what has happened.

I do not need you to feel the same way as me to validate my feelings...

But it is rather hypocritical to hang on to a 50 year old relic from the past as sacred, and then tell someone else they're close minded and mean spirited.

I have no interested in whether your feelings are validated.

I would make point the Bloods is the most popular sporting Club in Oz. We have 2.0M fans, a few hundred thou ahead of the Pies. The Bloods have fans across the country. I expect after this year our fandom will go bonkers. We want our fellow Bloods to rock up and be welcomed to our games be this in Sydney or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes, I feel betrayed and I begrudge the jumper from 50 years ago.

You mean the very jumper that was worn for the first 5 seasons as the "Sydney" Swans.

If we had kept it for heritage round, that would have been fine.

Do you mean use it for a Round that doesn't exist?

Souths are our heritage.

That is South, not Souths.

Just remember that those of us in Melbourne never agreed for the club to be moved to Sydney in the first place and what we were promised after the move was forced upon us by the VFL has NEVER been followed through on. So wearing our jumper for Victorian games goes a small way to make up for that.

As two dedicated Swans fans I'm sad to see you angry. You feel how you feel of course and I would never tell you otherwise but I hope you might remember how much you have in common.
As to the Vic jumper I suspect that the club is trying to put more Swans bums on seats in games in Vic and build the fan base there beyond what it is at the moment. That plus sell some more merch. $$$$.

As to the Vic jumper I suspect that the club is trying to put more Swans bums on seats in games in Vic and build the fan base there beyond what it is at the moment. That plus sell some more merch. $$$$.

This is exactly the reason behind it. The club has struggled at times to cater to the demand of the Melbourne market while trying to grow their membership numbers in Melbourne while the number of games is lower than at any time in our history.

The club currently as a whole is balancing the two cities one club dynamic as best as they have in the last 20 years, the Red V jumper is everywhere on fans when you go to games in Melbourne and its such a small thing that drives fan engagement and ultimately membership and merchandise sales

As two dedicated Swans fans I'm sad to see you angry. You feel how you feel of course and I would never tell you otherwise but I hope you might remember how much you have in common.

Not angry but trying think to look forward a few decades.

I am optimistic we will keep growing. We are trundling along to be Australia’s permanent Number numerous uno sporting club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back