Training Pre-season 2024 - Hump Daddy #19 Hype Thread! Dawn of Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Our tall forwards are good, but not Coleman medal good. But as mentioned before, it’s the smalls that struggle and is a hole we need to fill as a team (rather than rely on any one individual).

Ainsworth is the closest we have to a small forward who players above his height. But we don’t have a forward with quick goal sense for the other situations.

I’d like to see more goals from long-range on the run. Also, more goals from closer areas from a crumber. That alone will make our forward attacking more dynamic.

The thing with having Hardwick he has status and authority so he can instantly demand higher levels of standards he’s not here to be nice and make people stay like the last two coaches have had to try and do
To be honest, Tsitas/Berry in the best 22 does surprise me a bit (if that's the case). Let's see.

Just hoping we don't start season 0-2 :) Becoming anxious.

Last edited:

To be honest, Tsitas/Berry in the best 22 does surprise me a bit (if that's the case). Let's see.

Just hoping we don't start season 0-2 :) Becoming anxious.

I don’t know how best 22 can’t be settled after a intraclub game. Still practice match against lions and pre season game against giants to see before opening round

Hawks and freo uploaded 11&6 min highlights of their match sim

North have their whole 3 hours replay.

Other clubs do live streams

Wish we could get content like this

Last edited:

I don't know if it's just what I receive over here but I just went to our website and Dimma mic'd up is still on the main page and it's been there since Dec 22nd...

It fails to mention if Day kicked the goal, I’m only joking, we all know the answer
Day has many faults but he has always been a fairly decent shot at goal. Much better than plenty of players we have/had. To bad he never got the ball enough to do anything with that straight shooting

Yeah, pies had a live stream and put up highlights. I was there but they even had commentators on the live stream. Ive seen other clubs with the intraclub on youtube. This stuff fans want to see. Invite them down, live stream it. Something. Its not that hard.

Our tall forwards are good, but not Coleman medal good. But as mentioned before, it’s the smalls that struggle and is a hole we need to fill as a team (rather than rely on any one individual).

Ainsworth is the closest we have to a small forward who players above his height. But we don’t have a forward with quick goal sense for the other situations.

I’d like to see more goals from long-range on the run. Also, more goals from closer areas from a crumber. That alone will make our forward attacking more dynamic.
You don't necessarily need a forward of Coleman medal quality to be successful in this league. Here's the top 5 forwards for Collingwood in 2023 (excluding finals) were:

Brody Mihocek - 44
Jamie Elliott - 38
Bobby Hill - 25
Ash Johnson - 21
Daniel McStay - 16
Total - 144

It's their midfielders like N.Daicos (18), J.Daicos (16) and De Goey (15) that make up for the lack of scoring power in the forward line. They need around 50 goals from their top 3 mids in order for it to work. For context, our top 5 forwards kicked 143 goals (King - 40, Luko - 39, Casboult - 24, Ainsworth - 21, Rosas - 19) last season which is one less goal than Collingwood's top 5. Pretty much the same in that regard, but what about our top 3 mids? Anderson (14), Swallow (14) and Rowell (7) combined for a total of 34 goals and just aren't kicking enough goals for it to work with our forward line production. One of those numbers has to increase this year if we want to play finals and if both increase then anything is possible.

You also have to be defensively sound for the Collingwood technique to work. The Pies were ranked 4th in the league for goals against last year with 267 conceded for the season. We were ranked 12th in the league for goals conceded with 294 kicks going through the big sticks. I'd say we'd want that to at least be under 280 (inside the top 8) if we're going to have a shot at naking the finals this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The frustrating thing is the players have also been doing interviews that we don’t get to see

Heck we didn’t even get to see any videos from club championship awards apart from a couple of dodgy interviews done on a mobile phone

Dimma insight on a few players…

Q. What are your snapshot opinions on these players and how they might impact this season?

Malcolm Rosas: Highly talented player, still trying to find his away. When the ball is in his hands special things happen, we just have to make sure we can get the ball in his hands more. The challenge for Rosas is I don’t want to fit a square peg in a round hole. He’s an unstructured player. If I try to make him play structure it doesn’t allow him to play to his strengths. He is probably behind a few players at this stage but has incredible talent that is very exciting.

Mac Andrew: Mac is another highly talented player that our job as coaches is to get the very best out of. Whether that’s back or forward, we’re probably sitting there at the moment undecided about what that looks for us. He’s a game changer. Mac has the capacity to be one – and this is a bit of a high bar to live up to – but he could possibly be one of the best players to play the game. He has so much talent, we just have to find a way to bring out that talent for the best of Mac and the best of the Gold Coast Suns. We know he can play back but he also got drafted as a ruck-forward so we’re working our way through that as well.

Joel Jeffrey: Joel is another exciting prospect that probably hasn’t quite reached the potential we know he can. His consistency level has to improve both on and off the field with regard to that and I think as soon as he finds that balance is when his footy will start to progress. We see him at the moment down back. We know he can play up forward, but he can break lines through his feet and is such a good user of the ball.

Bailey Humphrey: Bailey is going to be an exciting player. I must admit I knew a little bit about him before I came up here but watching him at training he’s been dominating. The way he plays, how explosive and tough he is, I have to remind myself he’s just turned 19. He reminds me of another player I used to coach who won three premierships and a Brownlow Medal … he’s got the ability to change games, Bailey. He’s only in his second year but I’m looking forward to seeing what he can produce for us this year.

Jake Rogers: Jake I haven’t seen a lot of because he’s been injured. What I do know and the little I have seen is he’s very clean. What he has to work on is probably his tank. He’s in good hands there. I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the next month to see where his footy is at.

Ben Ainsworth: I just think he’s a player that needs a coach to back him in and that’s what we’ve done. We love the way he goes about his footy. He has a skillset that allows him to play the style of game we want. He has a really important role within our side and I think he’s learnt to love that and wants the responsibility of that so he’ll be a combination of a mid-forward and forward-mid. He’s a beautiful kick, he’s a goal kicker and he can play inside and outside.

Brayden Fiorini: He’s slotted in really well. To me he’s a natural winger. He sees our system well, he’s incredibly smart, good inside and out and uses the ball well. He will form a really strong part of our midfield group in that wing role. I think he’s going to be a really important piece for us this year.

Sam Flanders: I think this guy is going to take the AFL world a little bit by storm. I looked at him toward the back end of the year once I became interested in the Suns job and I couldn’t believe the talent that this boy has got. His capacity to run, he’s a really good user of the ball, he’s incredibly smart and I think he will reach the potential this club invested in him. He’s only going to get better. For all those people who play SuperCoach out there get this kid in your side, we’re going to feed him as much as we can.

David Swallow: Dave is one of those guys who can play in a multitude of positions. If there’s a spot fire Dave will be the guy. At the moment we’re playing him down back but he’s capable in the midfield and forward as well. Break glass in case of emergency, he’s the guy. So if I need a spark or someone to fill a role he will be the player to do that.

Continued…

Q. What can the fans expect as far as seeing some old faces in new positions? Will we see some role changes for players?

Hardwick: Yes there will be. You have to remember with every game style requires different positions and different athletic types to play certain positions. (Alex) Sexton is one of those players. I look at the way we want to play our rebounding backs – he has played the vast majority of his career as a forward but he’s an incredible athlete. His ability to cover ground, to use the ball proves from my point of view he could be a really good rebounding defender and he’s had a great pre-season.

When you move from a certain game style to another game style some positional swings and roundabouts come to fruition. We look at players like Darcy Macpherson who for me in our style fits as a small pressure forward. He does that really well. Jimmy Tsitas is another guy that’s grabbed that role, Tommy Berry – those players who are able to execute high pressure roles are really important to the style of game that we’re going to play. Those guys are incredibly valuable to the system and they will get games accordingly.

Continued…

Q. No Lachie Weller to start the season. How is the hunt for his replacement developing?

Hardwick: Yeah look it’s funny with Lachie, he’s one of those players incredibly important to the way we want to play and fits that rebounding defender that we’re craving for but we won’t have him until the back end of the year. He’s moving really well in the off-season, he looks like he could play now but we have to be cautious because he’s such a valuable commodity to our footy club.

So we are looking out for that other rebounding back. Sexton has put his hand up, young (Connor) Budarick is coming through, Lloyd Johnston is another guy we have high hopes for. Will Graham has gone through halfback, Sam Clohesy is another play that we’ve trialled through there at various stages.

There’s still some question marks we have on that back six, back seven as to where we will land.

The unicorn… 🦄

Q. Ethan Read, the ‘Unicorn’. Is every line coach putting his hand up to get hold of him? What will be his position and how can you incorporate him early in the season?

Hardwick: We call him the Unicorn because he’s quite a special player and without putting too much pressure on him, he’s capable of probably playing in a variety of positions much like Geelong’s Mark Blicavs. He could play midfield, wing, halfback, up forward … we’ve probably settled him down back. We want to give him a good grounding in the defensive aspects of the game. We’re really pleased with what he’s brought to the back seven, with his ability to win the ball back and distribute. He’s effectively a 6’10 who plays like a 6’1 guy which is incredibly impressive.

He’s well and truly in the mix for Opening Round, no question. He’s an incredible athlete, incredible young lad and we’re really looking forward to giving him a chance to debut for the Gold Coast Suns. How early that is we’re not too sure but he’s certainly in that mix, no question.

Dimma insight on a few players…

Q. What are your snapshot opinions on these players and how they might impact this season?

Malcolm Rosas: Highly talented player, still trying to find his away. When the ball is in his hands special things happen, we just have to make sure we can get the ball in his hands more. The challenge for Rosas is I don’t want to fit a square peg in a round hole. He’s an unstructured player. If I try to make him play structure it doesn’t allow him to play to his strengths. He is probably behind a few players at this stage but has incredible talent that is very exciting.

Mac Andrew: Mac is another highly talented player that our job as coaches is to get the very best out of. Whether that’s back or forward, we’re probably sitting there at the moment undecided about what that looks for us. He’s a game changer. Mac has the capacity to be one – and this is a bit of a high bar to live up to – but he could possibly be one of the best players to play the game. He has so much talent, we just have to find a way to bring out that talent for the best of Mac and the best of the Gold Coast Suns. We know he can play back but he also got drafted as a ruck-forward so we’re working our way through that as well.

Joel Jeffrey: Joel is another exciting prospect that probably hasn’t quite reached the potential we know he can. His consistency level has to improve both on and off the field with regard to that and I think as soon as he finds that balance is when his footy will start to progress. We see him at the moment down back. We know he can play up forward, but he can break lines through his feet and is such a good user of the ball.

Bailey Humphrey: Bailey is going to be an exciting player. I must admit I knew a little bit about him before I came up here but watching him at training he’s been dominating. The way he plays, how explosive and tough he is, I have to remind myself he’s just turned 19. He reminds me of another player I used to coach who won three premierships and a Brownlow Medal … he’s got the ability to change games, Bailey. He’s only in his second year but I’m looking forward to seeing what he can produce for us this year.

Jake Rogers: Jake I haven’t seen a lot of because he’s been injured. What I do know and the little I have seen is he’s very clean. What he has to work on is probably his tank. He’s in good hands there. I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the next month to see where his footy is at.

Ben Ainsworth: I just think he’s a player that needs a coach to back him in and that’s what we’ve done. We love the way he goes about his footy. He has a skillset that allows him to play the style of game we want. He has a really important role within our side and I think he’s learnt to love that and wants the responsibility of that so he’ll be a combination of a mid-forward and forward-mid. He’s a beautiful kick, he’s a goal kicker and he can play inside and outside.

Brayden Fiorini: He’s slotted in really well. To me he’s a natural winger. He sees our system well, he’s incredibly smart, good inside and out and uses the ball well. He will form a really strong part of our midfield group in that wing role. I think he’s going to be a really important piece for us this year.

Sam Flanders: I think this guy is going to take the AFL world a little bit by storm. I looked at him toward the back end of the year once I became interested in the Suns job and I couldn’t believe the talent that this boy has got. His capacity to run, he’s a really good user of the ball, he’s incredibly smart and I think he will reach the potential this club invested in him. He’s only going to get better. For all those people who play SuperCoach out there get this kid in your side, we’re going to feed him as much as we can.

David Swallow: Dave is one of those guys who can play in a multitude of positions. If there’s a spot fire Dave will be the guy. At the moment we’re playing him down back but he’s capable in the midfield and forward as well. Break glass in case of emergency, he’s the guy. So if I need a spark or someone to fill a role he will be the player to do that.

I have to say Fiorini on the wing does not excite me. "Uses the ball well" - am I watching different player? In Dimma we trust. I can't wait for the season to start.

The unicorn… 🦄

Q. Ethan Read, the ‘Unicorn’. Is every line coach putting his hand up to get hold of him? What will be his position and how can you incorporate him early in the season?

Hardwick: We call him the Unicorn because he’s quite a special player and without putting too much pressure on him, he’s capable of probably playing in a variety of positions much like Geelong’s Mark Blicavs. He could play midfield, wing, halfback, up forward … we’ve probably settled him down back. We want to give him a good grounding in the defensive aspects of the game. We’re really pleased with what he’s brought to the back seven, with his ability to win the ball back and distribute. He’s effectively a 6’10 who plays like a 6’1 guy which is incredibly impressive.

He’s well and truly in the mix for Opening Round, no question. He’s an incredible athlete, incredible young lad and we’re really looking forward to giving him a chance to debut for the Gold Coast Suns. How early that is we’re not too sure but he’s certainly in that mix, no question.
There you have it. Dimma rates Ethan Read as a defender (to begin with) and says he's right in the mix to debut in the opening round. Let's see how he goes in the pre-season games before we get too carried away, but all the signs are there based on the available evidence.

I have to say Fiorini on the wing does not excite me. "Uses the ball well" - am I watching different player? In Dimma we trust. I can't wait for season to start.
Dimma's not going to s**t-can him is he? Wing is a weak spot on the list, he's got to play someone there. He seems big on pumping players up, but the comments on Rosas and Jeffrey are interesting. Might not be buying in to the new game plan enough for Dimma?

Well, doesnt sounds super great for Mac, Rosas, and Jeffrey early on.

Also, agree on Fiorini. I am still yet to see anything Dimma or Dew saw in him on the wing? To me he is an inside mid or nothing. Slow, does not use the ball well at all by foot, and even his defensive running can be questionable.

Going to be a very interesting team picked and I think we will all have to get accustomed to some different guys being in the team now and some guys not.

Dimma's not going to s**t-can him is he? Wing is a weak spot on the list, he's got to play someone there. He seems big on pumping players up, but the comments on Rosas and Jeffrey are interesting. Might not be buying in to the new game plan enough for Dimma?
Sure, Dimma's is not going s*** on him but it does look like he is a lock for the wing. Not in my book. But what do I know. Just start winning more, Dimma, and all is good :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back