Training Pre-season 2024 - Hump Daddy #19 Hype Thread! Dawn of Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Rosas on the outer.
MALL FORWARD BATTLE

The surprises didn’t stop down back, with a number of new faces putting their hands up to open the season inside 50.

The “Cheat Code”, James Tsitas, is reportedly one of Hardwick’s new favourites and is among a handful of players vying for a small forward role this year.

Tsitas and Tom Berry shared time with the firsts and appear to be going head-to-head for a place in the forward line.

Tsitas will not be available for Opening Round as he serves the second week of a suspension held over from the VFL semi-final last year.

One forward 50 regular, Malcolm Rosas, looks to be on the outer to start the season with Hardwick demanding the prodigious talent to find more of his own footy.

He was rarely sighted on Thursday and could have an uphill battle to feature early in the campaign.

Hardwick’s plan to utilise the silky skills of Sexton were put on display in the final term of Thursday’s match, when he sprinted from the back of the square to receive a handball before unleashing a 60m dart that hit Sam Day lace out inside 50.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/48c515394166fde5fcf7635e14e111cf

Seems dimma wants to put his own spin on this team and a few regulars might be in for a shock.
From the snippets we've heard and seen round 0 we could be looking at ,
Swallow Collins Powell
Sexton ballard uwland
Ellis Anderson fiorini
Humphrey day ainsworth
Lukosius King holman
Witts
Rowell
Miller
Flanders(mid), Budarick (back) dmac(fwd) Andrew?
Sub w Graham

Seems dimma wants to put his own spin on this team and a few regulars might be in for a shock.
From the snippets we've heard and seen round 0 we could be looking at ,
Swallow Collins Powell
Sexton ballard uwland
Ellis Anderson fiorini
Humphrey day ainsworth
Lukosius King holman
Witts flanders (mid)
Rowell Budarick (back)
Miller Andrew?
Dmac (fwd)
Sub w Graham
Way too early, IMO. Teams try players in different roles in these intra club simulations. Let's see our line-up against GWS. Interestingly, according to Herald it's Tsitas (suspended for round 1)/Berry as small forward ahead of Rosas.

Last edited:
I'll back Dimma in to pick his team. I'm very interested to see how we look with everyone to pick from.

No suspensions or injuries do we line up like this:

Holman - Walter - Ainsworth
Lukosius - King - Tsitas
It could be.

I’m all for moving the magnets. Sexton is fast and a long kick (and could kick an outside 50 running goal pretty easy too, Weller style) so maybe it could work. I feel we trial a new player at halfback to limited success every year though…

Tsitas and Berry don’t excite me, but a pre-season and different gameplan could change that. Our small forward brigade have to be the most below average in the comp.

And if Andrew isn’t in the best 22 I’d be genuinely appalled. Seems like he’s being trialled as a utility tall, so will be interesting how he lines up.

Midfield is looking fire though.

I’m all for moving the magnets. Sexton is fast and a long kick (and could kick an outside 50 running goal pretty easy too, Weller style) so maybe it could work. I feel we trial a new player at halfback to limited success every year though…

Tsitas and Berry don’t excite me, but a pre-season and different gameplan could change that. Our small forward brigade have to be the most below average in the comp.

And if Andrew isn’t in the best 22 I’d be genuinely appalled. Seems like he’s being trialled as a utility tall, so will be interesting how he lines up.

Midfield is looking fire though.
Sexton is interesting. I can't see him defending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t say I’m surprised having seen who he rated at Richmond, but Tsitas, Macpherson, Berry, Ainsworth, Holman has to be the least dangerous group of small forwards in the comp by someway. I don’t know if I trust any of them except Ainsworth to go at a goal every 2 games, or consistently hit a leading target that’s not a bomb.

At least Rosas requires a defender when the ball goes inside 50 and he can crumb a goal. I guess Bear, Noah and Flanders really will be spending a bit of time inside 50 and given license to attack.

But hopefully they prove me wrong.

There's a few uninspiring names there but I think our top 10 are heading towards a level that can carry a few. You look at the most successful teams and there's always a few that look like decent players just from what's around them. Our cap will be tight for a long time and we need a few playing on minimum wage to play a role and that's what will take us all the way just as much as the big guns will.

I can’t say I’m surprised having seen who he rated at Richmond, but Tsitas, Macpherson, Berry, Ainsworth, Holman has to be the least dangerous group of small forwards in the comp by someway. I don’t know if I trust any of them except Ainsworth to go at a goal every 2 games, or consistently hit a leading target that’s not a bomb.

At least Rosas requires a defender when the ball goes inside 50 and he can crumb a goal. I guess Bear, Noah and Flanders really will be spending a bit of time inside 50 and given license to attack.

But hopefully they prove me wrong.
Would you class those forwards are tier 3?

King Luko Jed Levi Tier 1

Humper Tier 2

The rest tier 3

If Tier 1 is fit and healthy they'll bang in 120 goals themselves, we just need something consistent from tier 2&3

Humper Tier 2

The rest tier 3

If Tier 1 is fit and healthy they'll bang in 120 goals themselves, we just need something consistent from tier 2&3
How do you assess Tiers?

IMO, Levi T 3, Ainsworth close to T 1, Jed T 2 (just a guess, played 0 games).

Last edited:

Humper Tier 2

The rest tier 3

That’s true, and I think they are expecting big things of Ainsworth and Bear in a goal threat sense.

Ideally you are maybe looking at something like
King - 50
Luko - 45
Levi/Day/Walter - 25
Ainsworth and Humphrey - 25 each (1 goal per game)
*if we have improved
With those other guys and the midfield making up the rest.

Not awful actually, if those other guys are bringing elite pressure and still contributing.

That’s true, and I think they are expecting big things of Ainsworth and Bear in a goal threat sense.

Ideally you are maybe looking at something like
King - 50
Luko - 45
Levi/Day/Walter - 25
Ainsworth and Humphrey - 25 each (1 goal per game)
*if we have improved
With those other guys and the midfield making up the rest.

Not awful actually, if those other guys are bringing elite pressure and still contributing.
In 2023, players you mentioned were basically there except Humphrey.

King - 40 (20 games)
Luko - 39 (22)
Levi - 24 (20)
Ainsworth - 21 (21)
Humphrey - 11 (19)

I predict Ainsworth will score comfortably 30 if playing more forward. I would also expect both King and Luko (finally figured out set shots) scoring 50+ if healthy.

If would be nice if midfielders score more too. Anderson 14 (23), Rowell 7 (23), Miller 4 (13).

Last edited:
In 2023, players you mentioned were basically there except Humphrey.

King - 40 (20 games)
Luko - 39 (22)
Levi - 24 (20)
Ainsworth - 21 (21)
Humphrey - 11 (19)

I predict Ainsworth will score comfortably 30 if playing more forward. I would also expect both King and Luko (finally figured out set shots) scoring 50+ if healthy.

If would be nice if midfielders score more too. Anderson 14 (23), Rowell 7 (23), Miller 4 (13).
There’s no way levi and Jed are both kicking 20+ goals.
One will play and one will not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back