Training Pre-Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely the key takeaway from the comparisons to the other forwards is that Thilthorpe isn't the main target.
TBH at the end of the year Riley could end up surpassing both Fog and Tex for the #1 target inside 50.

If he rides his current wave of confidence into the season and is clunking marks left and right he's gonna start getting a lot of confidence from his Mids.

I love Tex and want him to continue his late career renaissance, but nothing would make me happier than seeing our highest ever draft selection come in and wrestle that mantle away in 2024.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year however I'm not underestimating the loss of Rahilly. Really rated him.

Combine that with if Tex drops off, then we could have a tough season ahead.

The good thing about Rahilly is that success follows him whenever he leaves

Would have been nice to apply that policy for the round one game last year. IMO that compromised our whole season, starting 0-2 instead of the 2-0 I reckon it would have been if R1 had been played in normal conditions and the players weren't still recovering for R2, because Richmond were pretty ordinary at the start of the year.
Don't you know it was the selection of the sub (yes the 23rd man) that pushed us out of the finals race?

Disappointed if he doesnt kicks 35-40 minimum this year

How Adelaide Crows’ young gun Riley Thilthorpe compares to other tall forwards drafted early​

Some of the AFL’s great modern-day tall forwards took until their fourth year to emerge. Could Crow Riley Thilthorpe join them? We analysed the young gun’s trajectory versus other early picks.

4 min read
February 28, 2024 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../e1a0db6a32e8f8e444710e6d6c6d59fc#share-tools

Tall forwards sometimes take a little longer to develop.
Crows senior assistant Scott Burns said something akin to that familiar modern footy line when asked about Adelaide young gun Riley Thilthorpe on Friday night.
After kicking 18, eight and 18 goals in 46 games across his first three seasons, the Crows’ highest ever draft selection looks primed to make a big step this year.
The 202cm giant, who was picked at No. 2 in 2020, booted two majors in an imposing trial match performance against Port Adelaide, continuing a strong summer.
Burns has seen first-hand how tall forwards can take a few years to blossom.
The former Collingwood captain began his coaching journey at West Coast in 2009, the season Josh Kennedy began emerging as a future star.
Kennedy, whom Carlton drafted at pick 4 in 2005 before trading him to the Eagles in 2007 in the Chris Judd deal, had booted 18 goals from 29 games in his first three campaigns.
Riley Thilthorpe is entering his fourth AFL season. Picture: Adelaide Football Club

Riley Thilthorpe is entering his fourth AFL season. Picture: Adelaide Football Club
In 2009, he kicked 31 majors from 16 matches.
From there, Kennedy booted 41 and 59 over the next two years then never looked back, becoming an all-time West Coast great and the club’s leading goalkicker.
Richmond spearhead Tom Lynch followed a similar trajectory.
Lynch, taken by Gold Coast at pick 11 in 2010, booted 15, 12 and eight goals in his first three seasons at the Suns.
He added 46 in a breakout 2014 campaign, then 43 and 66.
It took longer for things to click for Carlton big man Harry McKay.
He had his first year ruined by back stress fractures and had not kicked more than 26 goals until his sixth season when he registered 58.
Of course, some modern-day tall forwards have quickly emerged as future stars.
Ben King (Gold Coast) slotted 47 goals in his third season, while brother Max (St Kilda) booted 38 that same campaign.
But there are others taken early who never reach 46 games or kick five goals in a match – the latter feat being one Thilthorpe achieved on debut against Hawthorn in Launceston in 2021.
Thilthorpe booted five again versus the Power in round 3 last year.
It was probably the personal high point of his season, which fell away late.
He kicked just 1.6 from his final six games.
Riley Thilthorpe, the Crows’ highest ever pick, with his family after being drafted in 2020. Picture: Matt Turner

Riley Thilthorpe, the Crows’ highest ever pick, with his family after being drafted in 2020. Picture: Matt Turner
Six months on, Thilthorpe, 21, appears re-energised and ready to shine in his fourth campaign, like Kennedy and Lynch all those years ago.
“He’s been very good all pre-season,” Burns said of the Crows’ highest ever draft pick.
“He’s slowly made inroads since he’s been here.
“I think we forget, he’s 202cm and sometimes they can take a little bit more time.
“The path he’s on and trajectory he’s on has been really promising throughout the pre-season going into the start of the season.”
Burns said experience had been a major driver of Thilthorpe’s progress.
“You go back through history and look at Joshy Kennedy and even McKay at Carlton, they’ve all taken a little bit of time to get going,” he said.
“It’s not easy for a big fella, especially as a key forward. “
While Thilthorpe’s goal output ranked him seventh at the Crows in 2023, he was second at the club – behind Taylor Walker – and 13th in the AFL for contested marks with 38.
The names ahead of him include captains, All-Australians, premiership players and veterans: Charlie Curnow, Max Gawn, Jacob Weitering, Darcy Moore, Noah Balta, McKay, Jesse Hogan, Joe Daniher, Charlie Ballard, Harris Andrews, Aaron Naughton and Walker.
Thirty-eight contested marks is also more than Kennedy, Roughead, Ben King, Daniher, Lynch, Roughead or Curnow took in any of their first three seasons.

In December, Thilthorpe told the Crows’ website he had focused on getting stronger in the gym over summer and was boxing up to twice a week.
“I feel I’m able to throw guys around a little bit more, which is really exciting for my game next year,” Thilthorpe said.
“I feel the work I’ve done in the strength space will really help with that consistency, being able to be stronger in the contest and clunk a few more grabs.”
There were signs of that against the Power on Friday in a promising sign for the season.
“I think you’ve got to remember when you were 18 and finished high school, then what you were when you finished uni – four years is a big time difference in terms of mentality and maturity,” Burns said.
“We all get bigger and stronger, even if we’re not involved in a footy club.
“When you’re here day in, day out and doing weights every day and they’re being more professional, they’re obviously going to put a little bit of size and strength on.
“He’s been able to do that and still maintain some pretty important running times.”

Thilthorpe’s contested marking also compares favourably to two of his fellow 2021 top-four selections: Western Bulldog Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (No. 1) and Sydney’s Logan McDonald (4).
Ugle-Hagan took 31 last season and McDonald grabbed 15, though they outshone Thilthorpe for goals with 35 and 32 respectively.
Thilthorpe may struggle to match their scoreboard output because of his stints in ruck.
Last season, he attended 16 per cent of centre bounces and that could increase this year.
Then again, if Walker retires at season’s end, Thilthorpe, who is contracted until the end of 2025, can become more of an attacking focal point.
Walker’s brilliant form over the past two years has meant Thilthorpe has not been the No. 1 option like some other young forwards early in their careers.
If Thilthorpe can follow a similar path this year to others who have taken a while to blossom, then the AFL’s highest scoring team of 2023 will become even more difficult to stop.

HOW THILTHORPE COMPARES TO 195CM+ FORWARDS DRAFTED EARLY​

Riley Thilthorpe
Debut:
14 games, 18 goals, 44 marks, 16 contested marks
Year two: 11 games, eight goals, 49 marks, 20 contested marks
Year three: 21 games, 18 goals, 74 marks, 38 contested marks
Josh Kennedy (Carlton/West Coast, pick 4, 2005)
Debut:
Nine games, five goals, 32 marks, five contested marks
Year two: 13 games, six goals, 50 marks, seven contested marks
Year three: Seven games, seven goals, 46 marks, nine contested marks
Tom Lynch (Gold Coast/Richmond, pick 11, 2010)
Debut:
13 games, 15 goals, 53 marks, 28 contested marks
Year two: 17 games, 12 goals, 98 marks, 20 contested marks
Year three: Eight games, eight goals, 42 marks, 18 contested marks
Joe Daniher (Essendon/Brisbane, pick 10, 2012)
Debut:
Five games, three goals, 27 marks, six contested marks
Year two: 21 games, 28 goals, 112 marks, 27 contested marks
Year three: 22 games, 34 goals, 111 marks, 35 contested marks
Harry McKay (Carlton, pick 10, 2015)
Debut:
Did not play due to injury
Year two: Two games, three goals, seven marks, three contested marks
Year three: 13 games, 21 goals, 70 marks, 20 contested marks
Ben King (Gold Coast, pick 6, 2018)
Debut:
14 games, 17 goals, 48 marks, 13 contested marks
Year two: 17 games, 25 goals, 48 marks, 15 contested marks
Year three: 22 games, 47 goals, 90 marks, 24 contested marks
Max King (St Kilda, pick 4, 2018)
Debut:
Did not play due to injury
Year two: 18 games, 22 goals, 57 marks, 30 contested marks
Year three: 20 games, 38 goals, 90 marks, 48 contested marks
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs, pick 1, 2020)
Debut:
Five games, seven goals, 14 marks, three contested marks
Year two: 17 games, 18 goals, 60 marks, 17 contested marks
Year three: 23 games, 35 goals, 120 marks, 31 contested marks
Logan McDonald (Sydney, pick 4, 2020)
Debut:
Seven games, nine goals, 22 marks, two contested marks
Year two: 17 games, 15 goals, 69 marks, 12 contested marks
Year three: 20 games, 32 goals, 84 marks, 15 contested marks
Also, keep in mind when comparing the stats that Thilthorpe spends sometime in ruck too.

Last edited:
TBH at the end of the year Riley could end up surpassing both Fog and Tex for the #1 target inside 50.

If he rides his current wave of confidence into the season and is clunking marks left and right he's gonna start getting a lot of confidence from his Mids.

I love Tex and want him to continue his late career renaissance, but nothing would make me happier than seeing our highest ever draft selection come in and wrestle that mantle away in 2024.

Tex has said 2024 is about quality not quantity. So we should be seeing how we look with TT and Fog as our main men for a handful of games. Hope it's a couple of runs of 3 games rather than individual games spread throughout the season.

Yes, and King said the same thing on sen last week too. He also doesn't think we have the talent on our list to contend.

Buckley also insisted today that we are a team of 'no name players', which to me suggests he thinks we don't have talent either, not sure how else to take it.

Is it too simple to think they just aren't paying attention, or is there a truth to these comments that I'm too biased to see?

I think we have one of the most talented lists since 1997, more first round talent than ever (directly related to the worst run in history), and have high expectations this year. This view is pretty far from Kingy, but of course he's still bitter about 98.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just for the other side of the coin. I needed some comfirmation bias.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bloke can’t win, predicts us to finish out of the 8, he’ll get slammed.

The bloke acts constantly like a campaigner, of course people have issues with him.

It's not that hard to just not consume any of his bullshit though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That they don’t listen.
Was the same with rucci (not a fan) people would say I don’t read his stuff, but magically they get upset by his opinions.

I'm sure some are just reacting to headlines.

Anyway, the guy is a troll, this is pretty indisputable. No amount of perceived correct calls he may have made overrides this.

People should listen less to him, they won't though.

I'm sure some are just reacting to headlines.

Anyway, the guy is a troll, this is pretty indisputable. No amount of perceived correct calls he may have made overrides this.

People should listen less to him, they won't though.
He's unavoidable if you follow football at all

I just think if people don't like him you can avoid a lot of him.

Is the Sunday Footy Show really must watch tv?

Footy Classified?

He's not on any broadcasts of games.
I avoid all of those. In fact I've never watched or listened to any of those, yet somehow I'm bombarded with clickbait hatebate Kornes bullshit which is purposely designed to be just that.

If he's not a campaigner for the ridiculous comments he makes, he's certainly a campaigner for purposely trying to invoke angry reaction.

He's a media whore making money with a successful tried and tested MO.

I wish I was doing that.

Last edited:
Wonder if 191cm Max is far from being able to take a 194cm Curnow or Tex?

Either way butts is back this week, Keane before round 1.

IF ...

the Crows seem primed to return to the finals for the first time since the 'Power Stance' days of 2017 ...

THEN ...

the key backline posts remain a problem. Nick Murray's knee reco will keep him out indefinitely. Jordon Butts, coming off a fractured foot which ruined his late 2023, has endured off-season hamstring issues. Mark Keane was concussed last week. And Tom Doedee is now a Lion. Good luck, there

Wonder if 191cm Max is far from being able to take a 194cm Curnow or Tex?

Either way butts is back this week, Keane before round 1.

IF ...

the Crows seem primed to return to the finals for the first time since the 'Power Stance' days of 2017 ...

THEN ...

the key backline posts remain a problem. Nick Murray's knee reco will keep him out indefinitely. Jordon Butts, coming off a fractured foot which ruined his late 2023, has endured off-season hamstring issues. Mark Keane was concussed last week. And Tom Doedee is now a Lion. Good luck, there

Another year down and still no one has told him his ifs and thens don't actually make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre-Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back