Preseason Teams: Rate them, critique them and praise them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Im seriously warming to the idea of starting with 6 premium mids + Rowell & Pickett. Im weighing up whether it is better to start Whitfield and a mid rookie versus Macrae and a forward rookie. Currently if i pick Whitfield i wont be fielding any forwardline rookies which doesnt seem ideal as im sure at least 1 rookie will present themselves as capable enough to warrant a spot in my starting lineup. As well, i value Macrae as approximately 100k more than Whitfield. The 100k is an arbitrary amount but i came up with it given Whitfield's injury history, the fact he may be tagged sometimes meaning he could be hot and cold and therefore may be picked up cheaper later on. I still have Dusty & Greenwood as my top 2 forwards and although my backline is very weak - it is by design as i feel there are several players coming back from injury that will average a good 20-30+ above their pricing point. Yes, if i was to post my team then everyone would critique the fact that i dont have a genuine gun back there but i honestly feel more comfortable banking the midfield points and then hoping that my backline cheapies last 6+ weeks and then i can offload them.

My current midfield is this:
View attachment 818425

In a vacuum I’d certainly have Macraes higher than Whitfield, through consistency, injury history and the possibility of Whitfield copping a tag.
However I think you’ll lose considerable points/cash on the other side of the equation being the Rookies swap.

Another potential concern from locking away 3/4 of a position, is it leaves you very little wriggle room for must have players. I’d personally be against it if you squeezed the premiums in, however your current lineup you haven’t spare any cash, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

That lineup will lock up some serious points per week. Another advantage is how hard those players can be to get, generally taking 3 trades to get them in.

I think we sometimes get carried away with a player's position. A defender who averaged 105 or so last year is no worse a choice than a mid who averaged the same. So whether you choose to put most premiums in the midfield or elsewhere is really a moot point. At the end of the day all those who played 10 games or more last year are priced solely as to their average score last year. We have a salary which all 30 players need to fit into which necessitates that we need x amount of starting rookies on field.
However, the question then arises as to where is the best place to find these rookies. More times than not, it is the midfield. It is more likely that the mid rookies will score significantly more than forward or defender ones so this is where I feel most should come from.
There are a number of cheap options to start with in both forward and defence. Birchall, Roberton, Doedee, Cockatoo, Hill and to a lesser extent Steven and Smith.
Personally, I feel 6 premiums in the middle is one too many but then again, everyone should go with their own gut feel.
I understand what you are saying but i think in terms of reliability and consistency you cant look past the top mids as the best scorers. Yes, if i was confident Lloyd or Laird or someone else could average as much as my 6th mid id definitely take them and shift my structure but i dont see that being the case. Given my structure and taking into account that we have a 3 man midfield bench and 8 spots on field, i am looking at starting with 5 mid rookies, instead of the 6 that most will go for.

Thus, it is effectively a matter of whether my 6th preference mid rookie is going to be better than my 3rd or 4th preference rookie pick in the backs or forwards. Right now, im banking on the 3rd or 4th best backline/forward rookie to be comparable to the 6th best midfield rookie. If that is the case, i think ill win out as i believe my 6th gun midfielder should outscore a back or forward of the same price (e.g Whitfield or Lloyd).

I think it is crucial to note that given the amount of mid-pricers in my current team i will not be starting more than 2 rookies in my backs or forwards and will likely start only 1 in both positions. I think there should be enough decent rookies to fill 3 slots in the backs and forwards. Hypothetically if i was going pure guns n rookies i think id be much more receptive to the idea of starting 3 mid rookies as i would be looking at fielding more backline and forwardline rookies and thus it would be a case of picking the 6th best mid rookie versus perhaps the 4th or 5th best back/forward.

At the end of the day it could end up being much of a muchness. I could miss a good midfield rookie but i could equally select a good back/forward rookie instead.

I understand what you are saying but i think in terms of reliability and consistency you cant look past the top mids as the best scorers. Yes, if i was confident Lloyd or Laird or someone else could average as much as my 6th mid id definitely take them and shift my structure but i dont see that being the case. Given my structure and taking into account that we have a 3 man midfield bench and 8 spots on field, i am looking at starting with 5 mid rookies, instead of the 6 that most will go for.

Thus, it is effectively a matter of whether my 6th preference mid rookie is going to be better than my 3rd or 4th preference rookie pick in the backs or forwards. Right now, im banking on the 3rd or 4th best backline/forward rookie to be comparable to the 6th best midfield rookie. If that is the case, i think ill win out as i believe my 6th gun midfielder should outscore a back or forward of the same price (e.g Whitfield or Lloyd).

I think it is crucial to note that given the amount of mid-pricers in my current team i will not be starting more than 2 rookies in my backs or forwards and will likely start only 1 in both positions. I think there should be enough decent rookies to fill 3 slots in the backs and forwards. Hypothetically if i was going pure guns n rookies i think id be much more receptive to the idea of starting 3 mid rookies as i would be looking at fielding more backline and forwardline rookies and thus it would be a case of picking the 6th best mid rookie versus perhaps the 4th or 5th best back/forward.

At the end of the day it could end up being much of a muchness. I could miss a good midfield rookie but i could equally select a good back/forward rookie instead.
There is no right or wrong strategy at this time of year. I have gone heavily with mid priced players in past years yet this year I feel I'll be going with more of a guns & rooks strategy. Only have 2 players in the $300 - $500K range (Roberton and Jacobs). Have 3 more who are sub $600K but I feel that all of Docherty. Greenwood and Smith will be keepers anyway.
I always like to keep a bit of spare cash come round 1. Have been caught a couple of times when a higher priced rook tears it up in the first couple of weeks whilst one of my lower priced ones gets dropped after round 2 and I haven't got enough cash to make the change.

There is no right or wrong strategy at this time of year. I have gone heavily with mid priced players in past years yet this year I feel I'll be going with more of a guns & rooks strategy. Only have 2 players in the $300 - $500K range (Roberton and Jacobs). Have 3 more who are sub $600K but I feel that all of Docherty. Greenwood and Smith will be keepers anyway.

Absolutely, i would argue that even in hindsight it is hard to distinguish which strategy is better for any given season. Im sure we will have some idea but i think if you nail your own strategy you'll be in a good position, whether that is guns n rooks, mid-priced madness or a mixture of both.

I always like to keep a bit of spare cash come round 1. Have been caught a couple of times when a higher priced rook tears it up in the first couple of weeks whilst one of my lower priced ones gets dropped after round 2 and I haven't got enough cash to make the change.

I try to do the same. So far most of the rookies ive picked are priced at a premium so its a similar strategy to leaving cash in the bank.

D - Lloyd, Docherty, Houston, Roberton, Doedee, Hill, [Rivers, Gould]
M - Macrae(vc), Gaff, Merrett, Mitchell, Rowell, Ash, Flanders, Pickett, [Robertson, Bytel, McHenry]
R - Grundy(c), Jacobs, [Comben]
F - Whitfield, Martin, Heeney, Smith, Brayshaw, Cockatoo, [Rankine, King]
(181k leftover)

got at least 1 player from each team too :)

M - Macrae(vc), Gaff, Merrett, Mitchell, Rowell, Ash, Flanders, Pickett, [Robertson, Bytel, McHenry]
(181k leftover)

Nice team... heeney has had finger surgery recently and won’t have much of a pre season. Better options at his price to start with.

This is my final team before pre season games...premos are set. Rookies will obviously chance. Hoping Jacobs plays one out. He will average 85-90 as sole ruck which is good enough early on.

Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG

The forward line is a real headache at this stage for me.

Whitfield/Dusty are the two most proven and I have some concern with both. I just don’t see Dusty getting out of second gear in the early part of the season. He’ll have some good scoring games but think we will see a few poor games thrown in, real potential to pick him up cheaper around the bye.

The next tier is open with no real pick-me players. Heeney is always annoying with the promise of midfield minutes but Buddy’s injuries always sees him playing good forward time. Greene won’t see the midfield time to justify his starting price. Ziebell, Lynch Cameron are all not for me

Don’t really know enough about Lipinski, Dawson is trending the right way but still unsure. Greenwood interests me somewhat, Obviously rated by GC so could get a significant role. Brayshaw an unknown still, Stevens injuries concern.

Normally when faced with unknown premium you’d look to lock rookies in, can see a lot of people going with Rankine and King and sucking so real slow burn growth on the bench.

(181k leftover)

Even though Whitfield currently has a 62% ownership, I'm not starting him. I'm more than confident that his value will drop in the first 7 weeks or so when my first upgrade may be taking place. I'm 100% sure that his value will not increase meaning it won't cost more in making him an upgrade target.
Another concern would be that you are only starting with 13 keepers imo (highlighted) whereas I've got 13 keepers in my starting lineup. Simply means more trades required.

Even though Whitfield currently has a 62% ownership, I'm not starting him. I'm more than confident that his value will drop in the first 7 weeks or so when my first upgrade may be taking place. I'm 100% sure that his value will not increase meaning it won't cost more in making him an upgrade target.
Another concern would be that you are only starting with 13 keepers imo (highlighted) whereas I've got 13 keepers in my starting lineup. Simply means more trades required.
I despise the forward rookies at the moment. I'm batting deep.

The forward line is a real headache at this stage for me.

Whitfield/Dusty are the two most proven and I have some concern with both. I just don’t see Dusty getting out of second gear in the early part of the season. He’ll have some good scoring games but think we will see a few poor games thrown in, real potential to pick him up cheaper around the bye.

The next tier is open with no real pick-me players. Heeney is always annoying with the promise of midfield minutes but Buddy’s injuries always sees him playing good forward time. Greene won’t see the midfield time to justify his starting price. Ziebell, Lynch Cameron are all not for me

Don’t really know enough about Lipinski, Dawson is trending the right way but still unsure. Greenwood interests me somewhat, Obviously rated by GC so could get a significant role. Brayshaw an unknown still, Stevens injuries concern.

Normally when faced with unknown premium you’d look to lock rookies in, can see a lot of people going with Rankine and King and sucking so real slow burn growth on the bench.
I certainly agree with your comments regarding the forwards. I only wish that Steven hadn't got his pre-season setback. I'm not as concerned with Heeney as others. His injury was to his thumb hence he has not lost any condition. The word at the Swans also is that Buddy will be back for round 1 so Heeney may not be required to spend so much time in the forward line. Dawson is just a real unknown.

I think its dangerous not starting with Whitfield. Youll miss out on a stack of points if you choose to pick him up later especially given the fact there is no other forward that could match him for points scored in the forward position. Hes averaged 114 last season and the next best forward 98 so theres an exceptional difference between best and 2nd best and it indicates hes miles ahead of the pack in scoring for the forwards position
Yeh sure his price will drop but so will every premium in the game. I think the object of the game is to score points and premos will do that for u. Whitfield is a must have in my book simply because he will outscore every other forward by plenty. Ive still manged to get what i believe are 13 keepers even with Whitfield

Last edited:
I think its dangerous not starting with Whitfield. Youll miss out on a stack of points if you choose to pick him up later especially given the fact there is no other forward that could match him for points scored in the forward position. Hes averaged 114 last season and the next best forward 98 so theres an exceptional difference between best and 2nd best and it indicates hes miles ahead of the pack in scoring for the forwards position
Yeh sure his price will drop but so will every premium in the game. I think the object of the game is to score points and premos will do that for u. Whitfield is a must have in my book simply because he will outscore every other forward by plenty. Ive still manged to get what i believe are 13 keepers even with Whitfield

You make a good point about Whitfield being head and shoulders above the rest in his position. I predict that margin will narrow this season but there is a convincing argument that he stays 10-15 ahead of the rest. In saying that, looking at his pricing point, i dont see any value or upside. Now, you can argue that not every pick in your team needs to have upside as its likely that unless you go full mid-priced madness, there will be several selections that are based on scoring security. However, i personally dont think Whitfield offers the 'security' necessary for a player of his price. Essentially im saying that i expect him to go backwards slightly with more attention and on top of that i have concerns about his durability. At the moment i think ive found several players cheaper than him that i believe offer more 'security' and less downside potential. Whether that actually makes them a better selection is yet to be seen, particularly because they are in the midfield.

Overall, im not opposed to picking Whitfield at all. However, for me, with what looks like a lack of good forwardline rookies (at this early stage), im happy to choose a cheaper gun and a low-end mid-pricer/high end rookie (price wise) in Hill instead of Whitfield and King for example. I honestly don't like the argument that Whitfield will be available cheaper and therefore should be an upgrade target - as that is true for all premiums at that price. My argument is not that im not selecting him in order to target him at a cheaper price but rather i just think for someone his price there is a little too much uncertainty with injury risk and possible attention. The issue is, and why it is such a tough call, is that he is so far above the rest, that maybe he is in a unique position where you bank his points and go a bit lighter elsewhere? There is no right or wrong answer, its just preference at this stage. I know that if i was running more of a guns n rookies side id probably be selecting Whitfield but at the moment my team is more mid-priced madness. If more forward rookies present themselves in JLT there is a chance that i go to Whitfield + a rookie instead of Steven & Smith but that seems unlikely.

Again, it comes down to a variety of factors. Team balance, strategy, predicted player averages etc etc. Really all i can say is that i prefer my team without Whitfield in it, but i can imagine many situations where he could be a great selection. There are many different ways to approach this game which is why its so great!

Nice team... heeney has had finger surgery recently and won’t have much of a pre season. Better options at his price to start with.

This is my final team before pre season games...premos are set. Rookies will obviously chance. Hoping Jacobs plays one out. He will average 85-90 as sole ruck which is good enough early on.

View attachment 819592
View attachment 819593
good to see you got rid of Fyfe, was surprised you picked him in the earlier version of your team. Not sure about Lloyd though, think you can easily switch him for Doch and not lose out on much at all. If Gould plays then Lloyd probably loses some kickouts but knowing him, he would probably demand the first chip kick for a +6. It's tricky, he's a certain top 6 but I think there is much better value in Doch, who is also a certain top 6 imo. Great team overall though, think you're in for a big year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1581395861918.png
Have had a delayed start to preseason but this is my first go this year, would appreciate any feedback.
I'm comfortable with the structure and the cash still left over but worried about the number of keepers I have. I only count 11 if I'm lucky:
ZWilliams
Doch
Crae
Taranto
Dunks
Titch
Cripps (trade to Rocky before round 3)
Grundy
Whit
Devon
Steven

I need Houston's mid time to continue well after Wines returns or I'm in strife with him, Roberton, Hill and Doedee in the same back line. Considering whether I should go with a more guns and rookies approach and just get Lloyd or Houli in and downgrade Roberton/Doedee

I've paid up for the uber mids in Dunks, Crae and Taranto. Glad I stuck with my aim of picking mids who tackle and don't get tagged. But then I did pick Cripps again.... but like I said he will be traded to Rocky before round 3 anyway.

Fwd rookies were awful on first look so that's why I've gone so deep with guys like Brayshaw and Steven. Am nervous even fielding Ranking at F8 so can't bear to field any more fwd rookies. Hope Wingard's mid time continues (Bradkli is this likely?) because he was good at the back end of last year, he's my POD and I like him over HGreenwood.

View attachment 820954
Have had a delayed start to preseason but this is my first go this year, would appreciate any feedback.
I'm comfortable with the structure and the cash still left over but worried about the number of keepers I have. I only count 11 if I'm lucky:
ZWilliams
Doch
Crae
Taranto
Dunks
Titch
Grundy
Whit
Devon
Steven

I need Houston's mid time to continue well after Wines returns or I'm in strife with him, Roberton, Hill and Doedee in the same back line. Considering whether I should go with a more guns and rookies approach and just get Lloyd or Houli in and downgrade Roberton/Doedee

I've paid up for the uber mids in Dunks, Crae and Taranto. Glad I stuck with my aim of picking mids who tackle and don't get tagged. But then I did pick Cripps again.... but like I said he will be traded to Rocky before round 3 anyway.

Fwd rookies were awful on first look so that's why I've gone so deep with guys like Brayshaw and Steven. Am nervous even fielding Ranking at F8 so can't bear to field any more fwd rookies. Hope Wingard's mid time continues (Bradkli is this likely?) because he was good at the back end of last year, he's my POD and I like him over HGreenwood.

I think with Mitchell back, wingard will play more high half forward. This isn’t a bad thing as he will have more chances to kick goals. I can see him averaging 16-18 touches and at least 1 goal a game. He likes to tackle as well. Should average 90 which is fine for his price.

Hawks starting midfield will be Mitchell, omera and worpel. Then there’s still shiels. Wingard should get some time as well just not as much as the end of last season.

Who are the other two keepers other than the ones I'd highlighted.
View attachment 820954
ZWilliams
Doch
Crae
Taranto
Dunks
Titch
Grundy
Whit
Devon
Steven

I feel that having Whitfield as your F1 leaves you short of cash to spend elsewhere.
I'm taking the punt that Cogs will finally have a bit of luck and get a full season in and hence I feel he is better value than Taranto.
Williams will get nowhere near as much midfield time this year and I very much doubt he will not match last year's average.
People have spoken about Lloyd losing some of his kick in duties. I very much doubt that.
You are hoping that Wingard will get midfield time, yet you've selected him above Greenwood who is guaranteed a midfield spot.
I agree that a starting squad of 11 keepers is 1-2 too short. Mine currently has 13.

Who are the other two keepers other than the ones I'd highlighted.

I feel that having Whitfield as your F1 leaves you short of cash to spend elsewhere.
I'm taking the punt that Cogs will finally have a bit of luck and get a full season in and hence I feel he is better value than Taranto.
Williams will get nowhere near as much midfield time this year and I very much doubt he will not match last year's average.
People have spoken about Lloyd losing some of his kick in duties. I very much doubt that.
You are hoping that Wingard will get midfield time, yet you've selected him above Greenwood who is guaranteed a midfield spot.
I agree that a starting squad of 11 keepers is 1-2 too short. Mine currently has 13.
I rate Wingard's scoring potential a bit higher than Greenwood but you're right, it depends on midfield time. Still think Wingard can hit 85-90 even playing fwd, and can score the odd 120+. I'm not sure Greenwood averages 95+ to make it a horrible mistake not picking him over Wingard. If Greenwood comes out firing in JLT then it's a different story but I'm not convinced on his scoring potential right now

I'm very reluctant in not starting Whitfield, he punishes like no other and I'm tipping a big score in Round 2 and/or 3. I'd rather trade out Taranto for a better value mid and use the cash there to get another keeper in my side. But I worry about Cogs this year. Last year I thought Ward would push Taranto out of the mids but I think it will be Cogs who spends more time fwd this year.

The money I spent on Whit is saved by not picking Lloyd. Whit only 50k more expensive which I think is more than fair value considering his ceiling is way higher and Lloyd did not end last year well. That said, I may still pick Lloyd and cut down my mid priced defence. I doubt I will start with all of Houston/Roberton/ZWilliams/Doedee, all are JLT watches and probably only one of them becomes a keeper. Doch the only lock in my backline right now.

13 keepers is a good effort but I don't mind having 12 if I'm backing in Crae/Dunks/Whit to be a tier above other premo keepers.

I'm not 100% convinced with Houston. If he were to play the whole year in the middle, then he will be a good selection at his current price but if he is forced to go back to the backline due to injuries or whatever, he will score s**t. I'd still rather pay the extra and go with Laird who I know will score 80* even on a bad day.
From Hinkley's press conference an hour ago:
1581474825507.png
Feel more confident starting him now. It seems he is going to be in the mids long term rather than just at the start of the season while Wines is out.

From Hinkley's press conference an hour ago:
View attachment 821574
Feel more confident starting him now. It seems he is going to be in the mids long term rather than just at the start of the season while Wines is out.

We need big bodied players in the midfield who have great foot skills. He is there to stay. As you say, this is not a 'Because Wines is out' scenario.

Trying to squeeze an extra premo in the mids and need the best mid under 640k. 2 names stick out: Jelwood and dare I say it, Angus Brayshaw. I don't even know what Bray has to do in JLT for me to pick him again. I'm warming to the idea of Jelwood though, he gets his inside mid spot back this year I think.
We all joked about Brayshaw last year as Brayspud etc, etc. And, it was well deserved. But, the reality is that it was Goodwin's fault that he went from a 110 to an 80s average. With the inclusion of two specific wingers in the trade period. I expect Brayshaw to go back to the inside mid role he played so well in 18. I'm giving him another go as I feel he represents great value on what he can produce.

We all joked about Brayshaw last year as Brayspud etc, etc. And, it was well deserved. But, the reality is that it was Goodwin's fault that he went from a 110 to an 80s average. With the inclusion of two specific wingers in the trade period. I expect Brayshaw to go back to the inside mid role he played so well in 18. I'm giving him another go as I feel he represents great value on what he can produce.
Was Bray good in 2018 because he was an inside mid or was it because the Dees were actually good? I can't see the Dees improving that much this year to help Bray. I honestly think he'll play inside mid just to give guys like Oliver a rest, and then he will get benched or played fwd. Plus an elbow injury this preseason. I think Jelwood is a better option personally, cheaper and plays in a better team.

Was Bray good in 2018 because he was an inside mid or was it because the Dees were actually good? I can't see the Dees improving that much this year to help Bray. I honestly think he'll play inside mid just to give guys like Oliver a rest, and then he will get benched or played fwd. Plus an elbow injury this preseason. I think Jelwood is a better option personally, cheaper and plays in a better team.
[/QUOT
You don't have to be in a successful team in order to score well, unless you're a key forward I suppose. Macrae, Cripps, Ross, Crouch and Gibbs were in the top 10 midfielders of 2018 yet all of their clubs had poor years.

So how come you've still got the Macrae moniker??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back