Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think in order for the AFL to let the prison bars to be used, PA needs to double down and embrace the teal.

Just seems they've been moving away from the teal, and that was one of Eddie's arguments, that you look at a PA crowd and you see more black and white and shades between.

Have a home number that is predominately teal, have an away with a standout teal chevron in it. Make no mistake that your primary colour is teal, then I think AFL can't refuse the prison bars.

This idea only works if the club is happy to wear the PB's once or twice a year and no more.

View attachment 1123035
View attachment 1123036
View attachment 1123038
Our Primary colour has been black.

The SBS jumper was more black than teal.

Our Primary colour has been black.

The SBS jumper was more black than teal.

From what I see, I think the AFL is genuinely spooked about PA dropping the teal. That was my argument, double down and make the teal the primary colour, and as a trade off, you get PB's twice a season.

I get why this wouldn't fly, but I always thought simply making the numbers teal would be a nice combo of old and new /shrug

bGlto5E.png

pa bars-01.png
Sorry to Mero for butchering his beautiful template...

How about this? The teal collar with a faux white "traditional" V under it - representing the current Power guernsey's chevrons, without intruding on the bars themselves.

Keeping the club badge above the MG logo means no-one can confuse it with a Collingwood jumper.

And, if you're colourblind, it's just a thick silver/white collar on the PBs!

The NTUA inside the collar I feel is very fitting as well

This to me is the fairest compromise - I know it's not "the" PBs but it's everything of the PBs except the collar

What do Port fans actually want? Thiis is the first I've seen any Port fan say 'I'd be happy with... as long as we can wear our heritage jumper'. That is a slightly more developed argument than simply 'we want to wear our heritage jumper'. One implies an element of openness and frequency while the other suggests compromise and limit.

Reading your post, I would interpret that as you'd be fine with some bastardised prison bar jumper (eg. Scorch's two-tone black) provided you can wear the regular black and white one at some point.

This would be subject to agreement by Port but is only relevant if most Port fans are in your camp. If the majority are 'heritage or nothing' your point is irrelevant.
I'm too sober to reply now.

But here's a poll on the Port board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if Gold Coast or even Giants were to redesign their guernsey to a prison bars template?
Why not? Hawthorn, North, and Collingwood wear similar stripes in different colours. Geelong and West Lakes, same thing.

Although it would be hard for Gold Coast to wear a Lions colour, it's their jumper...

Reading your post, I would interpret that as you'd be fine with some bastardised prison bar jumper (eg. Scorch's two-tone black) provided you can wear the regular black and white one at some point.
A good part of BigFooty Port supporters would accept that. Once we are able to wear the traditional PB’s as is, than everything is possible.

That's basically Collingwood's argument too
Except the part we wear the PB’s as it is. Then, it’s a no.

If we can’t wear the traditional jumper, then, there’s no other Port PB guernsey. That’s a point the great majority of the supporters is full behind. Including those who are big fans of Port’s teal, like me.

Except the part we wear the PB’s as it is. Then, it’s a no.

If we can’t wear the traditional jumper, then, there’s no other Port PB guernsey. That’s a point the great majority of the supporters is full behind. Including those who are big fans of Port’s teal, like me.
There are other PB jumpers. What Port fans appear to want, however, is to be able to wear the jumper that represents their most successful period in the SANFL.

There are other PB jumpers. What Port fans appear to want, however, is to be able to wear the jumper that represents their most successful period in the SANFL.
Not Port’s. Currently, we have only one. And it will remain so, until we are able to use it regularly.

There are 16 iterations of the PB jumper, of which 7 could be considered unique.

All black with white vertical stripes interrupted by a horizontal white stripe. That’s the basic formula. Variations may apply, but there’s a common ground.

Out of it, then, it’s not the PB (1923-1927; 1941-1952).

I think in order for the AFL to let the prison bars to be used, PA needs to double down and embrace the teal.

Just seems they've been moving away from the teal, and that was one of Eddie's arguments, that you look at a PA crowd and you see more black and white and shades between.

Have a home number that is predominately teal, have an away with a standout teal chevron in it. Make no mistake that your primary colour is teal, then I think AFL can't refuse the prison bars.

This idea only works if the club is happy to wear the PB's once or twice a year and no more.

View attachment 1123035
View attachment 1123036
View attachment 1123038
I'd go home games in Prison Bars. All away games + a home game vs Collingwood in teal.

I.

Collingwood was inspired by the SA state side in the Early 1900's. Port – a SA club – was inspired by Collingwood. It went almost full circle.

-

So, yes, Collingwood was black-and-white before Port. There is no reason to deny it.

---
II.

However, Port decided to have a design of its own, distinct from Collingwood's, based on the reflection of the wharf pylons on the water at the port. The "Wharf Pylons" jumper was nicknamed "the Prison Bars" by rival supporters, and Port fans adopted it.

-

Port used actual Collingwood jumpers at some point of its history. It also used other black-and-white vertical stripes designs.
However, from 1953 onwards, it has always used some variation of the Prison Bars; which is true up to this very day.

---
III.

Port's guernsey has usually been predominantly black; while Collingwood's, predominantly white. Hence, they didn't clash; at least, not until Collingwood changed to a predominantly black jumper in 2001.

-

In 1997, Port started playing in the AFL, but its SANFL side continued wearing the PB's. First, the AFL and the SANFL teams were two separated entities, but they have been reunited. The reunification didn't change neither Port's SANFL jumper nor moniker. The Maggies have remained the Maggies. By the way, if Collingwood is known as the Pies, Port has been the Maggies. Not even the nicknames clash!

-

Still, clashes are pretty much a non-issue. All that Port is asking is the right to wear the jumper a few times per year in AFL matches, and never against Collingwood. The jumpers would never clash.

---
IV.

Moreover, even though we are not pushing for this, there is precedent in the AFL of two clubs having the same colours. West Lakes and Fitzroy would play against each other with both teams wearing blue-red-yellow jumpers in different designs. There was no controversy.

---
V.

Finally, there is the VFL; which already is the unofficial AFL Reserves league (14 of the 18 clubs play there). Whenever Port inevitably joins it, there should be no problem for the Maggies to retain its identity.

-

Currently, there are two Lions and two Tigers in the competition. Besides, there are three black-yellow sides, and two brown-gold ones.

-

In such a context, two black-white Magpies should be OK.

Back